What makes MPQ good?

homeinvasion
homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
It's easy to knock D3 and MPQ, and I do more than my fair share, which I hope they know is tough love, if not it is! But we are all here for a reason, we think this game rocks! So why does MPQ rock? My first thought is they actually listen; say what you want they are implementing event end times, refund for commanders, new characters, re-balance of mags and more, I have played games where I emailed a question to the devs and actually got an email back with "play something else" or worse no response at all.

What is it about THIS game that makes peeps go crazy and spend thousands of dollars, what are the Devs doing right, just so they know and know to keep doing it.

Also I missed many reasons but can only fit in so many. Please chose as many as you like.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Not one of the choices, but a close alliance keeps many of us around. More than a few of the X-Men would have quit or gone casual (or as casual as X-Men can get) if it weren't for being close knit.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    inertia...
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    The top 3 reasons why I love mpq:

- I can pick it up anytime I want, and set it down anytime I want. I can try to fit in a game between walking from my house to my car, and if I can't finish the game in time, just leave it on hold. After I reach my office then I just finish the game. No more worries about making the other party wait, no more worries about timer. It is incredibly liberating. (Yes I know many would say that there's a timing requirement of shield hop and pve end time rush. I agree but I can plan around it. And the basic game still takes a short amount of time, it's easy to sneak in a game during a short break)

- I can set any targets I want. I can decide to aim for top spot to get that final fury yellow, or I can take it easy and aim for 800 pts without shielding and reap all the HP awards. I can grind for new character (like mystique) or just ignore it altogether (like colossus). I can aim to shield hop to 1.5k or try to save my HP to 1250. Again, the lack of goals makes it easy to plan my life around it. I can play as little as I want or as Much as I want.

I know, there's the alliance requirement, but my alliance requirement is definitely achievable for my roster. So it's not a worry at all.

- sense of progression in the game. Collecting covers allowed me to feel a sense of achievement. This really is intricately tied to first and second point, since I could play as little/much as I want, and I can plan my goals in whatever way I like. Hence, the sense of progression is even greater when I realised that I collected all the covers of sentry, ldaken etc for free. That is a nice feeling, even better than if I purchased them outright.
  • I think my competitiveness is the reason I like MPQ.

I remember when I first started playing, I was just playing the PVE story missions.

I got the very end and I beat the dark avengers and I felt happy.

But I was done. I was about to stop playing.

Then I noticed, I think for the first time, the PVP tab.

I haven't looked back since.

I truly enjoy knowing I can get a higher score than other people, especially those with better rosters.
  • _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Sadly... only Marvel license icon_cry.gif and the hope that maybe one day MPQ will get even partially as good as Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords (D3 knows how to make a good puzzle quest; why did they make MPQ this way??)
  • _M4ru_ wrote:
    Sadly... only Marvel license icon_cry.gif and the hope that maybe one day MPQ will get even partially as good as Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords (D3 knows how to make a good puzzle quest; why did they make MPQ this way??)

This. This. This.

This would be the difference between a good game and a GREAT game.
  • Anyone watch that south park episode about freemium games and addiction?

That.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    What first got my attention was the Marvel aspect. Anything comic related, I just have to try/have it. But it was the game itself that got me to stick around. It's been mentioned, but I'll toss it out there again, that the CS is actually good and helpful. I played for a few weeks before I got a little frustrated because it seemed like I had no idea how the game worked. I contacted CS and 2 hours later I got a reply with some basic info but ultimately telling me to look here.

Which is another huge draw for me. A forum where the people who make the game actually comunicate with the players. And not only that, they listen.

But the biggest thing about MPQ that keeps me coming back; you never play the same game twice. Even if I use the exact same 3 characters against the exact same 3 enemies for every match, it will still give me a different board each time. Having so many characters gives me far more options than most other games. And that is my favorite part, the variety.

So, to D3: awesome game, love it, as do we all. Keep up the great work. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • You forgot the customer service. Seriously, they've been great every time i've had a problem.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I would add: "Easy to pick-up/put-down." I like MPQ because I never have the time to play for an hour, like many PC games require. I love that that you can stop in the middle of a match and then come back hours later to finish it.

EDIT: Oops, atomized already said this. I should read more.
  • onimus wrote:
    I think my competitiveness is the reason I like MPQ.

I remember when I first started playing, I was just playing the PVE story missions.

I got the very end and I beat the dark avengers and I felt happy.

But I was done. I was about to stop playing.

Then I noticed, I think for the first time, the PVP tab.

I haven't looked back since.

I truly enjoy knowing I can get a higher score than other people, especially those with better rosters.

I was in the same boat, but I was scared to join in the PVP, seeing all the big dogs, now I am a relatively big dog (placed first like once or twice, and top five a good number of times.)