The one afternoon balancing act!

Options
2»

Comments

• A simple way to make glass cannons more viable. Reduce their match damage. Seriously just because they are leveled to 166 doesn't mean their role should change from I stand back here and hurt people, to I stand in front and take all the hits. Psylocke is the perfect example of this, she covers WAY too many colors over everyone. Thus her main weakness is getting kicked in the teeth and being downed too soon to unleash more pain. Same for torch, he is fun and does great damage but every time I play with him i get a few matches at most before he gets sent back to the hospital.

Give us a way to move these people to the back row. And making every glass cannon rely on Colossus for that is not a solution.
  • Off topic, but I just want to share an observation. Not that you care, but you can't stop me anyways.

Every time homeinvasion posts something suggestive about the game, the replies mostly act like he said something out of context. I think it's more productive to put down arguments without using words like (and I'm generalizing here) "your argument is idiotic and absurd". I can kind of understand homeinvasion's reaction to certain posts, because he seems to always attract negative replies even when he tries to state his mind.

On the other hand, homeinvasion can do better in some posts (can't quote it because it is deleted). Claiming you where "drunk" when you overreact is not getting out of the situation icon_e_wink.gif
  • Changing Psylocke's Blue in any way will have no overall impact on her. Her Blue is terrible. If she is under played it's not because of that, or at least only reducing it's cost won't change anything.

I do agree it should be purple tho.
  • You want to move Falcon from the dustbin to the "viable characters" column? Make bird strike cost 6, and have it drop at least 2 offensive tiles instead of shield tiles. Boom, viable character who can kick **** on his own. You wanna know something tragic about falcon as he is now? Face him up against 2* Daken, and even with infinite AP in every color, he will probably lose.
  • You want to move Falcon from the dustbin to the "viable characters" column? Make bird strike cost 6, and have it drop at least 2 offensive tiles instead of shield tiles. Boom, viable character who can kick **** on his own. You wanna know something tragic about falcon as he is now? Face him up against 2* Daken, and even with infinite AP in every color, he will probably lose.

It does seem like "bird strike" is really "feathered flying shields". Changing it up to some strike tiles would definitely make sense with the name.

With infinite purple AP Falcon wins. Cover the board in shields, no room for red strikes, Daken dies to match 3 damage (very very slowly). Take all the blue tiles to stop his regen.
  • mohio wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    I'm sorry, but you don't have the math, the underlying reasons for design, or an objective standard of balance to make those calls. Ideas are nice, but when you start to think you have all the answers? Might be time to re-evaluate.
    I too disagree with some of the things in the OP, but he simply stated some off-the-cuff, quick changes that could make him use these underused (and generally underpowered) characters. perhaps calling it "balancing act" in the title was a little much since there wasn't exactly effort put in to balance anyone, just make unplayable characters more playable. Anyway - include some examples and show that you actually read the OP and not just skim what is there and then misrepresent what was there in your reply.
    Thanks alot mate, I have been really torn over this, and all the hate I generated. It really means a lot to me.

C'mon, who really "hates" you or hates your post. Remember, this is an anonymous internet forum; it's usually not personal. Everyone is so quick to throw out "hate". Just because some people are critical doesn't mean they hate you. Take me and Hail Mary. We certainly don't see eye to eye and I'm guessing she might not like me, but I doubt she'd say she hates me (right!?). I certainly don't hate her, I don't even know her!
  • Lerysh wrote:
    You want to move Falcon from the dustbin to the "viable characters" column? Make bird strike cost 6, and have it drop at least 2 offensive tiles instead of shield tiles. Boom, viable character who can kick **** on his own. You wanna know something tragic about falcon as he is now? Face him up against 2* Daken, and even with infinite AP in every color, he will probably lose.

With infinite purple AP Falcon wins. Cover the board in shields, no room for red strikes, Daken dies to match 3 damage (very very slowly). Take all the blue tiles to stop his regen.
    Actually, the opposite happens. Falcon dies to match damage very, very slowly; Daken can keep regenerating. I guess it becomes a matter of "can I keep blue off the board long enough for my match damage to add up", which is not a given; what is a given is that 6000 turns later, Daken will have killed you.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    On the other hand, homeinvasion can do better in some posts (can't quote it because it is deleted). Claiming you where "drunk" when you overreact is not getting out of the situation icon_e_wink.gif
    Hi Okin

Yes I have anger and alcohol issues, both of which I learned in the Army. icon_e_confused.gif My anger is mostly under control apart from when drinking, when I can turn into an angry little man. I can see my drinking pattern by looking at my negative posts. In League of Legends I have to maintain 6 full accounts to dodge all the bans, my longest being 395 days. icon_cry.gif anyway it's not an excuse, I am aware of it and trying, I have made the decision to not be a violent person any more and will try not to post anything when drunk. Sober me is not a bad bloke icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like Psylocke quite a bit, and I think a simple change to her blue would move her from mid/low tier to mid-high (for a given value of still below any Sentry/Hood/LDaken/Lthor), with the change of only a few words:
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a basic Blue tile to a 3 turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemies largest color pool.
    to
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a chosen basic tile to a 2[3] turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemy's color pool in the targeted tile's color. (It could likely be worded more cohesively, but I imagine the vibe is intact. (one turn countdown at level 5))
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    I like Psylocke quite a bit, and I think a simple change to her blue would move her from mid/low tier to mid-high (for a given value of still below any Sentry/Hood/LDaken/Lthor), with the change of only a few words:
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a basic Blue tile to a 3 turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemies largest color pool.
    to
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a chosen basic tile to a 2[3] turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemy's color pool in the targeted tile's color. (It could likely be worded more cohesively, but I imagine the vibe is intact. (one turn countdown at level 5))
    agree with this
  • Okin107 wrote:
    Hi Okin

Yes I have anger and alcohol issues, both of which I learned in the Army. icon_e_confused.gif My anger is mostly under control apart from when drinking, when I can turn into an angry little man. I can see my drinking pattern by looking at my negative posts. In League of Legends I have to maintain 6 full accounts to dodge all the bans, my longest being 395 days. icon_cry.gif anyway it's not an excuse, I am aware of it and trying, I have made the decision to not be a violent person any more and will try not to post anything when drunk. Sober me is not a bad bloke icon_e_biggrin.gif

I've learned to look past your "drunk" posts icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:

Thanks
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:

Thanks
    I took my name from an incident where two guys home invaded me, they smashed me in the head with a baseball bat and when I woke up I was handcuffed in the bathroom. There was so much blood on the floor they were slipping all over it. Anyway when I got free I went to the police and they arrested me for aggravated assault. apparently while unconscious I stabbed the tinykitty out of them. Anyway yes I am aware of my anger, I am trying.
  • Okin107 wrote:

Thanks
    I took my name from an incident where two guys home invaded me, they smashed me in the head with a baseball bat and when I woke up I was handcuffed in the bathroom. There was so much blood on the floor they were slipping all over it. Anyway when I got free I went to the police and they arrested me for aggravated assault. apparently while unconscious I stabbed the tinykitty out of them. Anyway yes I am aware of my anger, I am trying.

I guess if MPQ had balanced Sentry all that would have been avoided. Just a joke to spin the topic around. **** happens, life goes on.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:

I guess if MPQ had balanced Sentry all that would have been avoided. Just a joke to spin the topic around. tinykitty happens, life goes on.
    icon_e_biggrin.gif