Get rid of denial type battles in PvE

2»

Comments

• simonsez wrote:
    Riggy wrote:
    If we'd have Psylocke instead of Colossus or BWGS, that Yelena node would have been nearly trivial, especially since you could boost into first turn Wolvie -> Psylocke. 1/3 of her health gone before you even make a match
    Given that in a 4.5 day event you'd be looking to beat each of the 12-15 nodes at least 40 times, is +6 boosts really the sort of long-term strategy that should be required/encouraged?
    Nope, and I'm not saying you need to. Phantron's point was that independent of any purple matches, Yelena steals every 6 turns (fewer turns if she matches purple, more turns if a goon does something). So the solution is to make sure we have abilities that can be consistently fired off inside of that 6 turn window. With either of those characters (and that was an example) is make 2 matches of the same color, either black or green, and you can start hitting her hard and for persistent damage.

The boosts were simply an example that you could in fact burn the node quickly with the right combination of characters. Which is to my point, that the characters selected for the heroic roster makes a huge difference, and that the same node in gauntlet or sim holds far less aggravation.
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I think the weirdest part is trying to determine how many cd tiles they spit out. Some matches I have 1-3 and next I have like 9 on the board. Plus having the lieutenant with multiple yellow is awful. Half the time I just have to save up and hope I finish him or basically the damage was for nothing. If anything fix that. Getting hit with 1 flamethrower is worse than 3 venom and rags moves Imo
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the event that the average posting doesn't realize this, scaling also affects the number of covers the computer gets. On my lowbie account Jugg's headbutt cost 9 AP and Hood's blue only stole blue and purple. The number of covers each character had should be hard coded to the node not based on their level.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Phantron wrote:
    Having better characters doesn't solve the problem. The first iteration of Heroic Oscorp has Yelena + Spy + Spy for 4 purple AP a turn, and you had pre nerf Spiderman for that. But if you didn't have a stun lock by turn 5 or so you were never going to have any AP for the rest of the game. Now pre nerf Spiderman can generally stun lock such a configuration by turn 5 so you can still beat it, but that's what it took to beat that node. Even pre nerf Magneto would have a pretty hard time knocking out Yelena in 5 turns. No current character can possibly have the firepower to beat this node, and this is just Yelena. Replace this with Venom + Spy + Spy and it's likely much, much worse.

I don't think this is true. The limited roster is really what makes these nodes difficult. A strong passive team (Falcon+Daken+Spiderman/Bullseye) would let you beat Yelena+Spy+Spy very consistently.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Wanted to bump this thread because I was reminded of it in Enemy of the State, when Wolverine works with two Hand goons. If the AI decides not to use redtile.png for Strength in Numbers/Caltrops, you're looking at Adamantium Slash every three-four turns.
    Seriously? I feel like I need to play a blitzkrieg team & get a very generous board just so Wolverine goes down quickly. Is anyone else annoyed with this?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes... and I'm annoyed in general by goons that can spam damage that can't be avoided. I thought that countdown tiles were supposed to be the tradeoff with the way they generate tons of the AP they need to launch attacks. These goons might as well be regular characters that always make the matches they need.
  • Caltrops would be pretty lame if Kishus scaled like a normal enemy. I'd imagine at 200+ they'd just drop 3 traps that do 3X1000 damage or so? So far this hasn't happened yet.

At any rate something like red pump -> Adamantium Slash is more like a MMORPG enrage fight. Due to the AP pump you have a very short clock to pull off something amazing. It's pretty cheap but it doesn't annoy me as much as Yelena + Spy + Spy or Venom + Spy + Spy where they don't do anything super interesting offensively but you never have AP or take a turn after turn 5.