Poll: How difficult is it for 2* players to transition?

Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Poll: How difficult is it for 2* players to transition?

There has always been a lot of discussion of the difficulty in transitioning from a 2* to 3* roster. I am curious to the current state of this problem from a PVP stand point.

If you have a 2* roster, have you ever made one or more top 25? If you have made top 25, how many points on average does it usually take?

Also, what would you say (aside from MMR and the 166 wall) is the most difficult part as far as PVP is concerned as a player using a 2* roster?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2014
    I have been playing for 173 days. The best I have ever done in a PVP is 53rd. Discounting one lightening round I finished 32nd in. I usually score between 450-550 before running into a wall I cant/wont play against. Best score ever was 623 in the blade PVP and I finished 114th. I have had alliance mates win their brackets with 100 less points then I have scored and I have finished outside the top 100 in the same event. I wish I knew what I was doing "wrong"

Edit: after asking my alliance I am sitting at 703 for my season score and another alliance member who has almost 2000 less points than I do is currently top 5 in their season bracket.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    I am 99% positive its not possible to hit top 25 with a 2* roster. Its currently a massive challenge to hit top 100 with one. From what my alliance teammates have stated 650 is about as high as you can go with massive shielding and that's barely top 100.

The 166 wall is a lot more abrupt (straight from 2* to good 166's) and the retaliations come faster.
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    When I had a pure 2* roster I managed to make top twenty five a couple of times and top ten twice. I suspect those were seriously quiet events though and I probably got lucky on top of that.
  • As it currently stands, it's impossible for a two star player to get top 25 without an absurd amount of shield hops using Storm Mags. It used to be easier but they made a change somewhat recently that creates the infamous 166 wall around 600 or so points.

Top 25, at its lowest, is generally mid 700s. Sometimes you can get into a really easy bracket but that's an extreme minority case. PVE truly is where I got the bulk of my 3* but with all the new characters I don't know how people who are just starting the transition are supposed to manage.
  • stryke wrote:
    When I had a pure 2* roster I managed to make top twenty five a couple of times and top ten twice. I suspect those were seriously quiet events though and I probably got lucky on top of that.

How long ago was this? I ask because they constantly change MMR and sharding.
  • Last season, with my 2* teams, I was easily finishing top 60 with at least I shield per pvp. I would score between 600-650. This season, when I started rolling out some level 114 guys, I've been struggling to make to it to 600 points, often facing the wall at around 550. I'm still finishing top 50 but I'm not any closer to top 25 compared to last season.
  • I've just recently started playing ( about two weeks ago ), but after reading forum and taking a look at characters and their powers I've bought a bit of HP and got myself a decently covered MNmags+CStorm combo. Since then I've ended up within top50 whenever I chose to participate with placing 16th in last Thor pvp round (376 points total unshielded icon_lol.gif top1 was around 700)

I assume that I end up in some beginner brackets, but those are still populated by 2* lvl 94s teams, some 120+ 3* and an occasional sub-150 X-force. So there are certain brackets where transitioning players have it relatively easy. The issue is that no one knows what it takes to get into those brackets. I'd expect there to be a rather high amount of transitioning players, so a lot of them should be competing mostly with each other, but apparently that's not the case..
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler

Pretty certain it was during my unemployment earlier this year so sometime around April-May?

Been awhile so not sure on the points, but I'm reasonably sure the two top ten results involved getting to the mid 800's as I don't believe I've never managed the 900 second token.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    stryke wrote:

Pretty certain it was during my unemployment earlier this year so sometime around April-May?

Been awhile so not sure on the points, but I'm reasonably sure the two top ten results involved getting to the mid 800's as I don't believe I've never managed the 900 second token.
    I was starting my 2*-3* transition around that time. Back then, we had LRs that gave out 3*s and guaranteed-3* tokens, as well as a much slower 1*-2* transition. A lot's changed since then, not least Alliances, Seasons, and sharding.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, what would you say (aside from MMR and the 166 wall) is the most difficult part as far as PVP is concerned as a player using a 2* roster?
    Winning a 25 point match only to find you've been attacked by 4 opponents you couldn't possibly retaliate to resulting in a net loss
  • I think timing makes a lot of difference. If you join in a bracket, the people who play your bracket daily are going to be playing the most around -1 to +3 hours from when you join each day and of course the last 2 hours of the event. If you play 3 hours before that and then shield, you get a lot of defensive rebounds off your shield. It's impossible for 2* to get top 25 without shielding, unless maybe you quit for 2 months and then come back in an extremely easy bracket.
  • daibar wrote:
    I think timing makes a lot of difference. If you join in a bracket, the people who play your bracket daily are going to be playing the most around -1 to +3 hours from when you join each day and of course the last 2 hours of the event. If you play 3 hours before that and then shield, you get a lot of defensive rebounds off your shield. It's impossible for 2* to get top 25 without shielding, unless maybe you quit for 2 months and then come back in an extremely easy bracket.

shield request HP with =$
  • Once I made top 10 with above 700 points. Another time second with just 415 points and that's it. I don't remember ever making it top 25 or higher other than those because I don't score more than 600 anymore.
  • Top25? I would love being able to get to top 100... the only time I can hit that is when event ends when and I can join super late (90 minutes before end) and zoom to 550 with 5 healthpacks and not give opponents time to retaliate. Other times I grind up to this point and during sleep I got hit down to 450. To shield I would have to use 8 hour one and then it's still not guaranteed top100, not like I can afford it when it takes 1500 Hero points monthly just to have enough roster slots. Currently there is 0 point for me to go higher than 400.

The 166 wall isn't problem at all. Moving it up would change nothing bar letting everyone take one more tier of progression reward. Having brackets of people who won't let you close to lowest tier of reward if you a) don't play during last minutes or b) shield and pray is wrong.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    It takes a massive effort for me to place in the top 100, exacerbated by the (hopefully soon to be resolved) non-US end times problem which means I have to wake up at 4 or 5am to make my final push and then shield up. The last time I got a decent result was the recent Fly Fight Win PVP, where I specifically wanted a Blade cover so that I could complete the Gauntlet (another problem in itself, but unrelated) - I ended up at around 650 points, just barely scraping #95. In general, if I don't especially need the 3* on offer - for example, if it's a character I don't have (requires HP for a slot), a character I only have one or two covers in (one more cover won't make them any more useful) - then I won't bother to try for a top 100 placing, as the effort required is too great compared to the reward.

For the record, my day count is now 244; I've only just gotten to the point where a couple of my 3* characters have 10 covers, and are therefore just barely usable alongside my fully-covered 2*s. My optimal team at the moment is Lazy Cap and OBW - for Simulator matches I'll add in Ares or C.Storm. If I had to guess, I'd say that I play for about an hour or so per day, which I think is reasonable.
  • benben77 wrote:

shield request HP with =$

So spend $5. It's a good game, it deserves $5. After that your HP and shields will be paid for by getting to 600 points (50 HP) and making top 100 (25 HP).

Anyone in the 2* transition should basically join a PvP with <8 hours to go, get what points they can, and shield out with 3 Hours to go if they are in the top 100. That PvPs play better when you skip 80% of them is a different problem, but not the focus of this thread.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    the transition is much much MUCH harder to make since my time of transition because....

1) Nerfing the lightning round tokens took away guaranteed 3 star covers for rewards, very first pack i ever bought on MPQ was dropping 5k hp on the LR pack with FIVE guaranteed 3* covers
    2) The drastic change in rewards over time, the nerfing of all the rewards over time(used to get all three colors for top TEN)
    3) The change to tokens so that all tokens include all characters, use to be that they had a specific subset of heroes in different event tokens along with a guaranteed cover of the PVP featured hero

to me those are the main reasons that it's much harder to transition from 2 to 3 star, though the 1 to 2 star transition almost doesn't even exist since the advent of the 2* cover battle rewards.
  • The end-times issue is the main barrier in PvP for me, really the only one preventing me from getting top 100 every time. I get up to 600 pretty much every event, and am willing to shield at that point. I don't have the roster to shield hop yet, so to make HP profit (or at least break even) I can only afford a single 3 hour shield. At the moment, the events finish at 6 am GMT, and sleep is nice, so I don't shield, get whomped down to 400-ish, and no covers for me. It also prevents me from joining top alliances as there's no way I can make the minimum points commitment, so I lose out on the alliance cover as well.

On the other hand, because I don't bother shielding that much, I do tend to have enough HP to buy the slots I need in PvE.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is an interesting discussion but not sure what the point of the poll is.

Top 25? Um yeah, no. Try Top 100.

I thought it was reasonably evident to anyone that the top 10 (and therefore the people just below it) are for the most part full rosters and shield hoppers.

Any semi-regular forum goer will know that if a 2* player can hit up to around 600, that's it (excluding the very rare exceptions). That's if they still have have a roster alive after they get past the 400-500's.
  • It's definitely harder than ever. Back in my 2* days (season 3) when the brackets of death weren't nearly as frequent and the 3x166 wall was still at 700 points, a 650-750 score would almost always guarantee top 25. Nowadays even just on the climb up you can clearly see those kind of scores are going to stand no chance of top 50 let alone top 25.