Make The Gaunlet a race

The Gauntlet is fun but It just needs something more. I propose you make it a race, have certain awards available for people who finish each portion quickly, maybe you don't even tell people what place they were in until the whole things times out. Might be fun and hey, people will pay real $$ just to get themselves through it quicker to potentially get that #1 spot.

Comments

• MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    No... one of the things I really like about the Gauntlet is that it's not competitive with other players, it's just competitive with yourself on your own time. I can pick it up when I like and for how long I want to. Adding in a race just gets back to the grinding that I wanted to get away from...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If nothing else, this proves I was wrong for thinking Gauntlet couldn't get any worse...
  • I wouldn't mind if the Gauntlet kept track of some stats for bragging right or achievement type stuff but not sure if there's much value in doing that or why it should only be for this type of event.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    No. It shouldnt be a race or it will kill the enjoyment for many. Ppl like to play when they want and not feel pressured into it while still enjoying the game. Have it for bragging rights but no other rewards.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    SharnDM wrote:
    The Gauntlet is fun but It just needs something more. I propose you make it a race, have certain awards available for people who finish each portion quickly, maybe you don't even tell people what place they were in until the whole things times out. Might be fun and hey, people will pay real $$ just to get themselves through it quicker to potentially get that #1 spot.

You have no idea whatsoever why the community has been requesting an event like the gauntlet, do you? How does it make sense to introduce competition back into an event type that resulted from requests for a competition-free event where people could play at their own pace? It's completely counter to the core idea behind the event.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    And as far as bragging rights go, the leaderboard put ties in order of first come first serve, so the top ten of each leg are the first ten people to finish that leg. That's about as competetive as the Gauntlet gets and that's fine by me.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would agree with this ONLY if the rewards for finishing fast were Iso.

Make the brackets 1000 players each. 1st gets 1000 Iso, 2nd 999 Iso, 3rd 998 Iso, and so on till who ever was ranked 1000th doesn't get any extra Iso.

Just drop it as a reward after the event ends, even if most of the scores have been set in stone days ago.
  • To be clear, I never suggested that the static rewards change at all, simply that something additional be added on.
  • Adam12
    Adam12 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    The game already shows you how fast you finished. Since ties are determined by the person who had that score first, your ranking at the end tells you in what position you finished. It's obviously for bragging rights and nothing more. I had fun hitting #1 in the ranking on all three subs of the last Gauntlet, as a personal challenge, but I don't really think adding prizes to force you into trying to storm through as quickly as possible would make it more fun.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    SharnDM wrote:
    To be clear, I never suggested that the static rewards change at all, simply that something additional be added on.

I think the primary reason a lot of us like the Gauntlet is that it's 6 days of playing for fun at a more relaxed pace. If you are adding any substantial reward onto that, then people are going to feel forced to play faster to obtain the best rewards possible.

That's why I suggested Iso as a reward. Iso is great, but most people are not going to break their backs over some Iso, especially if there are no brackets! It always feels like such a downer when you are mere points away from the next bracket up. In an event like this where in theory even the last player in the bracket could be tied with the 1st player, it really is going to feel like a downer to miss out on something more than 10 Iso if you fell just outside of a bracket.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adam12 wrote:
    The game already shows you how fast you finished. Since ties are determined by the person who had that score first, your ranking at the end tells you in what position you finished. It's obviously for bragging rights and nothing more. I had fun hitting #1 in the ranking on all three subs of the last Gauntlet, as a personal challenge, but I don't really think adding prizes to force you into trying to storm through as quickly as possible would make it more fun.

Not entirely. It shows you finished first, but not who finished fastest. Someone joining at 1:00 could take an hour, someone joining at 1:40 in the same bracket could take 30 minutes. The player who finished at 2:00pm would be in 'first place,' but he wasn't the fastest.

I actually think this would be a fun thing to have as a bonus award. Nothing big. 1000 ISO or 50 HP maybe for finishing fastest, or tiered rewards for top 5 or 10.

Of course then it becomes a Sentry-bomb competition, so maybe it wouldn't work after all.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    my favorite thing about the Gauntlet is that I have rage quite it twice now. It means I don't have to keep playing it for my alliance when what I really want to do is throw my phone or Ipad. Actually I wanted to throw my phone at my ipad but that is a personal issue and I am working through.

Let the Gauntlet be what it is, a super challenging PVE with rewards that are not really needed. This way if you want to finish it and beat the hardest node ever go ahead. If you want to stop and enjoy life more power to you. This is the only event other than prologue that let's the player go as far as they can/want to go without the preasure of competition.

I am sure I will rage quite the next Gauntlet as well.
  • I completely disagree with making Gauntlet a race. The whole idea behind Gauntlet is to test yourself. Not, pin yourself against others as you already do in all the other events. Making it a race would really take the fun out of playing the game overall, as competing in PvE and PvP is already a burnout. Seriously? Don't make it a race because I for one will not contribute regardless of rewards. I play it simply to get away from the burn of competition and just like to sit there and play at a leisurely pace. No race, simple!