Caching issues

russreid91
russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
There have been a number of posts recently about how people are having a real problem finding matches worth a decent amount of points. I have run into this as well where as I'm climbing through the 500-600 range I see only matches worth 20 points. I have found that at that point I need to put the game down for about an hour for the server to update who I should now be seeing. Sometimes that is enough and other times it works for one match and then I am back to the same issue. Even completely closing out of the app doesn't clear the cache.

This brings me to what happened last night. In Fly Fight Win I am at about 950 and looking for some decent matches, Brothanoomsy from 5DeadlyPoisonsis in my bracket so I saw he I shielded so I went looking for him. Found him and queued him up and waited till it was time to unshield. I kept an eye on him to make sure he was still shielded when I went to hop as I'm not trying to knock others down so I try not to hit them as soon as I see them.

He was shielded when I hopped so I hit him and won and won another one as we'll, then I reshielded. I then went looking for a new target worth decent points and found Brothanoomsy again. crud I thought he must have just unshielded as I hopped and I hit him, terrible timing. However when I went to check the leaderboard he was still shielded and had the same amount of points as he had before. This means that I effectively had him queued up twice from the same hop for him, once in a node and again in my cache.

I actually saw this earlier in the evening as well were I hit somebody that was shielded from a top ten alliance (can't remember who) and then found them again almost immediately even though they were still shielded however I had skipped over them so fast I had t been positive, this time I was.

I really think this shows how broken the MMR buckets are right now when you have to skip through the same 4-5 guys about 15-20 times in the hope of finding somebody decent. Especially when you can queue up guys that are shielded because they are somehow stuck in your queue.

Comments

• HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    russreid91 wrote:
    There have been a number of posts recently about how people are having a real problem finding matches worth a decent amount of points. I have run into this as well where as I'm climbing through the 500-600 range I see only matches worth 20 points. I have found that at that point I need to put the game down for about an hour for the server to update who I should now be seeing. Sometimes that is enough and other times it works for one match and then I am back to the same issue. Even completely closing out of the app doesn't clear the cache.
    That's really interesting. I didn't think there was a workaround for Point Purgatory, since I thought it was an artifact of the invisible matchmaking switch at 700.
    russreid91 wrote:
    I actually saw this earlier in the evening as well were I hit somebody that was shielded from a top ten alliance (can't remember who) and then found them again almost immediately even though they were still shielded however I had skipped over them so fast I had t been positive, this time I was.

I really think this shows how broken the MMR buckets are right now when you have to skip through the same 4-5 guys about 15-20 times in the hope of finding somebody decent. Especially when you can queue up guys that are shielded because they are somehow stuck in your queue.
    I'm confused. Some of us are aware of the fact that opponent queues are pulled from the server a handful at a time, which means that the "next" 3-5 opponents in each node aren't pulled live, but rather cached from whenever that node last ran out of/lost its cached opponents. If you're looking for "fresh" targets, you'll need to skip a few opponents in a node in order to trigger a new server pull, but I don't see what this has to do with MMR. MMR Hell, where you endlessly cycle through 3-10 enemies, is an issue that's separate from opponent caching, since that's independent of how many times you make your app call the server for live targets.
  • russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Your right, it probably has nothing to do with MMR I was just associating getting the same opponents again and again as MMR. I'll change the subject to simply caching issues if I can figure that out.

I realized that I was caching at least 4-5 opponents per node, I just would have thought that them being shielded or me having beat them once would have cleared them out. I have found sometime that beating an opponent on one node will prevent me from seeing him again when I am skipping through matches on other nodes. I just hadn't run into this particular instance before where I was able to hit a person twice when they are shielded. Found it odd that is all.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno, I'm pretty sure they're linked. Because often when I get past the first block of the same 4 opponents, I find a new block of 4 opponents to endlessly cycle through, which would imply that it had the same MMR problems, just with a different set of people cached