Setting up a two star team

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hey guys, how you doing? I've been starting to play Marvel Puzzle Quest for a few weeks now, having fun with it.

I've been using my 1 star team of Iron Man/M Storm/M Widow ,and managed to finish the Prologue, and grabbed some 2 stars from quest rewards and pvp events.

I feel like it would be time to move on into a two star team, and i wonder how should i set it up.

This is my roster http://i.imgur.com/tvnI42R.jpg
Sadly there is no thor in it (i got him 1/1/2, so i don't think of using him yet).

I've been experimenting on my own, and i've started to like Modern Hawkeye + Wolverine.

Hawkeye can jump behind Wolverine ,and wolverine heals himself. Modern Hawkeye red is a bit cheaper than Wolverine ,it hits all 3 targets, and it's impacted by his strike tiles (i may be wrong here). I prioritize matching red, then using Wolverine's green to add a decent number of tiles before using Hawkeye's red.

I wonder if you guys find those two a good team, and if so, who should be the third member? I've been trying two options, Classic Storm and Original Widow.

I find Classic Storm pretty good. I was thinking her green can be a big problem because it can clear my tiles... but it seems that after a succesfull green attack, i have at least 3 green added to be able to generate new tiles (while also getting red), so it may be not that bad. Her yellow is a decent passive i guess, and i tend to use her blue instead of Modern Hawkeye's, because it's a more safe damage, and AoE.

Original Widow ... is interesting. She may be a better option that Classic Storm because she is using Purple (a wasted color for me, like black and yellow). She got a heal on her blue, but i'm not sure about it being that useful... hawkeye rarely takes any damage, and wolverine heals himself up. It could be useful to heal herself up and maybe help Wolverine top off, but i try to make sure the ones staying in front are Wolverine and Hawkeye. Also i wonder if i should get her purple or her black to 5.

I wonder what you guys think, what combination should i make out of those two star heroes. I feel it may be a strange spot because of Thor missing. If you guys find Modern Hawkeye really lacking, i could try excluding him, but i feel his avoid is best used for guys like Wolverine/Daken, and i find his red really great.

I'm also feeling a bit uncomfortable with the wasted colors. In my 1 star team, red and yellow are going to Iron Man, blue and purple to widow, green and black to storm. Nothing wasted. It is a common thing to have wasted colors at this two stars and higher?

Thanks everyone, have a nice day.

Comments

• I've been experimenting on my own, and i've started to like Modern Hawkeye + Wolverine.

If you like it I think that is all that matters. I have Hawkeye pretty high, 55 or so but I don't use him too often because of his damage dealing ability being a countdown tile that I can't place myself. But if it's working for you and you like him at the very least let him take you as far as he can right now at his current level. Then when missions start becoming too difficult you can make a decision about whether to level him more or switch to someone else.
    I wonder if you guys find those two a good team, and if so, who should be the third member? I've been trying two options, Classic Storm and Original Widow.

The reasons you gave for using cStorm are sound and reasonable. I was coming up through the prologue before her nerf so I'm not a fan of her yellow anymore but the blue and green are awesome powers.

I'll admit I'm not rational when it comes to OBW. With a 3/5/5 build paired with Wolvie and a damage dealer like Thor I think that makes for an amazing ** team. But your current set up of letting Hawkeye evade and Wolvie tank wouldn't work out too well with her at 5 black (but her heal helps). One other problem with 5 black is she and Hawkeye share two color strengths as well. Since I personally can't even think about her having a build other than 3/5/5 I don't want to say anything about other possibilities (hopefully others will).

One more thing, with your current levels on cStorm and mStorm you should interchange them if one needs time to heal. I still occasionally use them with my *** teams just as a battery.
    I'm also feeling a bit uncomfortable with the wasted colors. In my 1 star team, red and yellow are going to Iron Man, blue and purple to widow, green and black to storm. Nothing wasted. It is a common thing to have wasted colors at this two stars and higher?

Yes, it is common, The ** meta team used to be Thor/Wolvie/cStorm so that was an overlap of Green/Red and no purple or black.

To be honest this is a 'problem' at the *** level as well. I put that in quotes though because most don't worry about it too much. There are too many varying strategies when it comes to pvp/pve/board control to go in to right now but especially in the prologue think of it like this:

I'm looking at the board and want to matches for the powered colors my team is using.

But if there are hammer goons around and my team is weak healthwise I shouldn't match too much of a particular color because then I won't be able to destroy countdowns (a problem with green for lower leveled team).

If there are enemies that take turns themselves then I also need to block their colors. I'd say this scenario is the one the lack of the color rainbow really hurts, but if the enemy isn't firing off powers you can afford to wait as well.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    OBW and wolvie is an awesome team in my experience. Once you get widows black covers to at least 4 she essentially does double damage when matching her colours. In other words strike tiles are added twice to her attacks making her a dps monster when paired with wolverine. Also healing is a good ability for saving health packs and keeping on playing with no downtime. I don't think cstorm pairs well with wolvie since he uses all the green anyway and mhawkeyes countdown tiles are a huge turn off for me. Thor is an obvious character for third slot but not super necessary until you level him up. Ironman35 could be used for now for his yellow ability which does good damage when paired with strike tiles.

TL;DR: Level up wolverine and OBW (and Thor later).
  • I have to agree with OBW. She's very underrated, especially with her Espionage. Combine her with Wolvie and classic Storm for aoe clearing is not bad. You don't need to use her green, just blue will do.

I'm not a big fan with Hawkeye, mainly because your other 2 characters will die faster and you don't have another tanky character besides Wolvie. Iron Man overlaps too much.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I third OBW. Espionage + wolvie is crazy, since it leads to any blue/purple/black cascade deal a ridiculous amount of damage. I used to run a thor/wolvie/spidy (with only blue/yellow) team, and always cringed at matching purple/blue/black, but replacing spidy with widow made a world of difference in that all color matches were relevant/good. I would pump iso into her and wolvie, and eventually transition into thor.
  • classic storm can work well when you do not need an instant freeze and you have modern hawkeye, you can choose to go 3/5/5 to have a red changing board ability for 5 (but dependent on the board) and black is useful especially with wolverine (you get the bonu twice even if you do only one "line" this turn, once on the line damage and once on black assault damage)
  • Hey guys, thank you for the answers. I'm glad to hear that those two stars ain't that bad.

In the end i'm still not decided, but i thank you for letting me now about the Original Widow 5 black combination with Wolverine. I think i will keep trying to switch around those guys, and follow a set of rules for each team.

Wolverine/ M Hawkeye/ C Storm - here i will always have wolverine highest level, and hawkeye second. This way Wolverine matches Green from Storm, and Hawkeye matches Storm's blue, making sure the squishy Storm will never be in front. This will be more of an AoE team, because of Hawk's red and Storm's Blue

Wolverine/ M Hawkeye/ O Widow - here i will always have wolverine being the highest, but the widow being second, so she can match blue/black/purple. This seems like more of a single target assassination team, with a cheap purple to steal fast. Because of Widow being in front sometimes Wolverine won't be able to soak all, but this will make the damage more even and make her heal more useful. To be honest i can't wait for the hulk event to end, to get my O Widow covers and test the black passive with damage.

Wolverine/ C Storm/ O Widow - i saw this idea here, and i'm ashamed that i didnt try it out. I'm not sure how it would work, i would have the option for blue to either damage or heal, and both Storm's yellow and O Widow's black passives. I see no reason not to try it out at least, but now i feel even more motivated to use Hawkeye because of beezer37_84 icon_e_biggrin.gif

Thank you guys for answering me, ill be sure to check out if anyone haves other opinions. Have a nice day.
  • In the two star level the best team is going to look like Wolverine/Thor/whoever. The logic goes like this:

1. Wolverine is by far the strongest character at the 2 star level, and the most common build is 5g/3r/5y.
    2. This means your strongest character has a weak red, and no outlet for yellow tiles.
    3. If you look up in the dictionary for good red and yellow moves you'll find Thor's name on it.
    4. The third person will be whoever best compliments your team.

If you do have 5r on Wolverine then you could use someone else besides Thor, but very few people have 5r on Wolverine.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    (Piggybacking on the original thread here.)

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I've been playing for a little less than three weeks, and playing seriously (events and such) for about one week. I have OBW (3/5/5) and Wolvie (currently 2/3/5 until I get more green) at 43 and 44 respectively. I've been using Thor and enjoying the team, but he's at 2/2/1, capped at level 22, and I can't get covers for the life of me (and I only spend HP on roster slots...so far--am I eventually going to NEED to spend HP to level up skills?).

Here's my question: should I level M Storm or IM 35 for that third slot until I can get Thor covers (or until I break down and spend HP to level up his skills)? Thor has a decent amount of health at lvl 22 (~1500). IM 35's ability damage would eventually eclipse lvl 22 Thor's, but it doesn't cascade at all. M Storm's ability damage would rise decently, as well, but I'll want to use green AP for wolvie, and her red isn't always useful depending on board state. I guess the question is would it be ridiculous to be running a team with a lvl 85 OBW, a lvl 61+ Wolvie, and a lvl 22 Thor?

Thanks!

EDIT: r/Widow/Storm
  • You can probably compete with that team, so I'm not sure I'd waste the resources on leveling up a 1* character. But if you did, Modern storm (who I assume you meant, given you discussed green and red skills) is a great character. The red in the Jungle can be really mean, her black is good for some extra damage and will trigger wolv's tiles again, the green, yeah you'll usually go for Wolv's, but it's a useful backup and good to shake up the board.
  • wathombe wrote:
    (Piggybacking on the original thread here.)

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I've been playing for a little less than three weeks, and playing seriously (events and such) for about one week. I have OBW (3/5/5) and Wolvie (currently 2/3/5 until I get more green) at 43 and 44 respectively. I've been using Thor and enjoying the team, but he's at 2/2/1, capped at level 22, and I can't get covers for the life of me (and I only spend HP on roster slots...so far--am I eventually going to NEED to spend HP to level up skills?).

Here's my question: should I level M Storm or IM 35 for that third slot until I can get Thor covers (or until I break down and spend HP to level up his skills)? Thor has a decent amount of health at lvl 22 (~1500). IM 35's ability damage would eventually eclipse lvl 22 Thor's, but it doesn't cascade at all. M Storm's ability damage would rise decently, as well, but I'll want to use green AP for wolvie, and her red isn't always useful depending on board state. I guess the question is would it be ridiculous to be running a team with a lvl 85 OBW, a lvl 61+ Wolvie, and a lvl 22 Thor?

Thanks!

EDIT: r/Widow/Storm

Hy there. I dont see it mentioned, but what level is your Modern Storm?

I know Storm's green doesnt match to well with Wolverine..but think about it this way... Wolverine only need 3 greens to make strike tiles. From 1 to 4 of them, it depens of how much red you have. For each 5 red, Wolverine adds one more tile.

Usually after using Storm's green, you will end up with some cascades, and most of the time you will have 3 green available and a decent amount of reds to add some tiles. I think it can go well.

As many people mentioned, Thor is the best for our Wolverine teams, but we have quite a long way to get a decent Thor running. With your lvl 85 OBW and 61 Wolverine, i dont see you having any problems at all, those two will do some heavy work no matter the third, until you can get a decent Thor.

Good luck, hope it helps. Curently i'm using Wolverine/OBW/M hawkeye ,and i really enjoy it. Of course this team haves absolutely no chance in defense (i'm not even that high level, my wolverine is 45, obw 35), but i can play for quite a long time, im usually full health when the fights end. I'm using Hawkeye as a third because i like his looks, and his red + wolverine strike tiles can do some crazy aoe damage (usually i see some 800-900 hits).

Good luck, but if you want more answers, perhaps you should try opening a new thread.