MPQ terminology

pinky
pinky Posts: 19
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I am a new player, barely played this game for over a month, and let me say that this forum has been an invaluable resource for me in learning how to play this game. Thanks to guides by Polarity, rankings from mischiefmaker (I enjoyed the memes), as well as information here and there, I have now maxed a few 2 stars and looking forward to make the long transition to the 3 star land.

As a new player, I can't help but feel that many of the terminology you guys use around here, are a bit abstract. Or maybe my intellect could be lacking. Sure, the guides taught me what are nodes, refresh times, scaling, but others... I mean, it took me a couple to weeks to figure out (with some help) what is meant by Sentry-bombing. I have a very rough idea what is a 'sand-box' (is it when a player gets non-stop matched with 166/270 characters in PVP?). But man, some of these other words baffles me. Why are some characters lazy? What exactly are whales (deadpool?)? And I cannot for the life of me figure out what on earth is a tinykitty.

I'm just curious, how did these commonplace terms come about? Have they been around for as long as the game has, from a long past time I hear of when Ragnarok, Spiderman and Magneto were as broken as today's Sentry?

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sandbox: The game's automatic protocol for players who have been identified as cheating. You can't be part of an alliance, you're not put in brackets with other players, and if you attack somebody in PvP, they don't actually lose any points (or even get notified of the attack). It's like putting a disruptive toddler in a sandbox to play by him/herself - no contact with the outside world.

Lazy characters: a new character whose powers are mostly or entirely copied from an existing variant of the same character. 3* Thor is LazyThor because he has the exact same powers as the Marvel Now version, which came first. 3* Black Widow is not lazy because her powers are entirely different from the Modern and Original characters.

Whales: A pun. In F2P gaming, a "whale" is a player who spends gobs of money on the game. They're the ones who make games like MPQ profitable despite a large percentage of the players spending little or nothing at the store. Deadpool's purple power lets you pay "money" (Deadpool Points, which you can earn once a day by winning a match with DP in your team) to drop actual whales on your opponents.

Tinykitty: A board in-joke. The forum has a censor that automatically replaces naughty words with "tinykitty." So it's been absorbed into the slang.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    This reply is spot on. Will just add that from my understanding sandboxed players still see the game normally outside of the alliance thing. So they are placed in brackets, but no one else sees them there, and it is fairly trivial for them to win if they choose to put in the time since there is no possibility of retaliations and therefore no need to shield or anything. Also, to elaborate on the Deadpool thing. His whales,whales,whales is just a "normal" AOE attack where a whale falls on the enemies for decent damage, but if you have enough Deadpool Points and decide to use them, it's basically just pushing an "I Win" button, which is why you'll see people say they had to use whales or whatever (12 purple for auto-win is generally the easiest way to win).
  • For additional help clarifying obtuse terminology/abbreviations ---->click here<
  • I found the OP's post very cute. Welcome to the community !
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Now you have to explain him what OP means XD
  • In this context, Original Poster.