4 star banding

homeinvasion
homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
2 months ago I saw a 270 Nick Fury in a PVP and couldn't press the skip button fast enough. Now with X-force rework, Fury in tokens, lady Thor on her way and to a lesser extent the prehistoric time waster and presumably IW once she gets a rework, there is a lot more 4 star teams around, by which I mean, EVERY team after 600 points in PVP has X-force until you hit 900 points, where the shield hop really gets going and its wall to wall Sentry.

My question is; has D3 adequately handled the implementation of these 4 star teams? Why and how do 2 star teams get to 600 and deal with a 270 X-force? It seems that 4 star is just dumped into 'end game' with 3 star, which doesn't seem right. Lets say it keeps going and some time next year we get 5 star, will it just be grouped into 'end game'? how do new players even start to compete? Getting to 3 star happy land will be even more daunting and unassailable. even worse, 3 star characters are now redundant! Because it goes from 2 star straight to 4 star.

You actively talk about character power level creep and are trying to avoid it, which is evidenced in how bad all the new characters are. You NEVER see Cap Marvel, Beast, Colossus, Dr Oc etc in a 3 star team because they are flat out under powered compared to the original characters, but you go wild with power creep by letting all these 4 star teams appear at 600 points. Give with one hand, take with the other.

I guess in all this rant, I am trying to say this. A lot of people spent a lot of; time, money, effort, heartache, joy, highs and lows to build three star teams that are now redundant. Could you look at something like 4 star teams don't appear in ques until 900 points. or bracket people with 167+ characters into their own group.

At least we would get some use out of our 3 stars.

Comments

• That's how they justify the use of sharding vets into death brackets. Even though 2-star teams may have a difficult time reaching high PVP scores, theoretically, they should only need lower scores for their PVP placement awards. A 3-star vet may need 900 points to get top 25 while a 2-star vet may only need 700 points to get top 25.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    You've obviously never played my teams. Captain Marvel is often seen. The others aren't simply because they aren't leveled sufficiently. I'm looking forward to getting Beast all the way leveled.

I have full covers on all the 4 star characters and they are not part of my PVP teams. Eventually they will be in the roster but it will be a while.

BTW - Captain Marvel is a great way to beat Sentry.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    I'm looking forward to getting Beast all the way leveled..

Because it will mean you've already leveled every other character in the game?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    2 months ago I saw a 270 Nick Fury in a PVP and couldn't press the skip button fast enough. Now with X-force rework, Fury in tokens, lady Thor on her way and to a lesser extent the prehistoric time waster and presumably IW once she gets a rework, there is a lot more 4 star teams around, by which I mean, EVERY team after 600 points in PVP has X-force until you hit 900 points, where the shield hop really gets going and its wall to wall Sentry.

My question is; has D3 adequately handled the implementation of these 4 star teams? Why and how do 2 star teams get to 600 and deal with a 270 X-force? It seems that 4 star is just dumped into 'end game' with 3 star, which doesn't seem right. Lets say it keeps going and some time next year we get 5 star, will it just be grouped into 'end game'? how do new players even start to compete? Getting to 3 star happy land will be even more daunting and unassailable. even worse, 3 star characters are now redundant! Because it goes from 2 star straight to 4 star.

The new PVP change gets me thinking they are adjusting the game so that there is a layer of points for each star. I feel like it was adjusted some last pvp, but the idea would be to see 3*s then 4*s. The problem with this is Sentry. Sentry bombing makes all of this irrelevant, and regardless you will see him and likely Daken in the final draws for nodes. They have set up the system for it to work better, now I'm crossing my fingers for a green balance for his green.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Talahamut wrote:
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    I'm looking forward to getting Beast all the way leveled..

Because it will mean you've already leveled every other character in the game?
    Or he wants to piss away a lot of ISO.
  • That's how they justify the use of sharding vets into death brackets. Even though 2-star teams may have a difficult time reaching high PVP scores, theoretically, they should only need lower scores for their PVP placement awards. A 3-star vet may need 900 points to get top 25 while a 2-star vet may only need 700 points to get top 25.

700 points for a 2*? How is that even reachable if I can't pass 600 because of the maxed 3* and half maxed 4* I see? And let's say I miraculously reach 700 and be in T25, do you know what bracket I'm going to be on the next PVP? The bracket where T20 is filled with X-Men! Because placing better makes the game think you are eligible to throw you with bigger sharks. And you go up and down performing randomly good or bad depending on stupid sharding that mostly doesn't work than it does.

I used to secure T100 with 600 pts. Now I have only LCap at 127 and suddenly the game thinks I can compete with the wall of 166. So not only I see the wall earlier than 600 points, but reaching those 600 points does not guarantee me that T100 anymore. So I've moved into harder brackets because I leveled 1 char halfway?

It seems that moving upwards in brackets is way faster than transitioning to better roster. It's working as intended.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Okin107 wrote:
    That's how they justify the use of sharding vets into death brackets. Even though 2-star teams may have a difficult time reaching high PVP scores, theoretically, they should only need lower scores for their PVP placement awards. A 3-star vet may need 900 points to get top 25 while a 2-star vet may only need 700 points to get top 25.

700 points for a 2*? How is that even reachable if I can't pass 600 because of the maxed 3* and half maxed 4* I see? And let's say I miraculously reach 700 and be in T25, do you know what bracket I'm going to be on the next PVP? The bracket where T20 is filled with X-Men! Because placing better makes the game think you are eligible to throw you with bigger sharks. And you go up and down performing randomly good or bad depending on stupid sharding that mostly doesn't work than it does.

I used to secure T100 with 600 pts. Now I have only LCap at 127 and suddenly the game thinks I can compete with the wall of 166. So not only I see the wall earlier than 600 points, but reaching those 600 points does not guarantee me that T100 anymore. So I've moved into harder brackets because I leveled 1 char halfway?

It seems that moving upwards in brackets is way faster than transitioning to better roster. It's working as intended.

I think you need to keep in mind that there are more people than ever with rosters that are able to beat an LCap, maxed or not. We just finished an anniversary event with copious amounts of ISO available leading to many maxed Sentries and especially high level X-Forces. That leads to two effects. One is simple: if more people have maxed characters, you are bound to run into a larger proportion of 166s. The second is those people are more capable of reaching higher scores with their stronger rosters. Your 600 points used to be good enough before, but that's similar to saying college used to be affordable on a summer job- times have changed. Unfortunately, LCap is a giant "hit-me" sign because he is too slow to be much of a threat.