'Marvel Puzzle Quest' User Statistics (Platforms & Locales)

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited October 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

It's time for some stats! Because, who doesn't love some juicy statistics?! (Maybe don't answer that).

We recently took a look at how (mobile devices) and where (geographical location) players have been enjoying Marvel Puzzle Quest. We found the results rather interesting and we thought you might enjoy having a look. Thanks go out to IceIX for compiling this list and adding his personal thoughts on the results.

Device/Geographical Numbers as of October 20, 2014

iOS:
Most users update their OS (if they can):
42.6% are on 8.0.2
28.1% still hanging around on 7.1.2
239 users still using 6.0.0!

Also have 2 users on 8.2.0 and 18 on 8.3.0. Probably jailbroken users purposefully misreporting.

Top platforms:
iPhone 5S - 16.5%
iPhone 5 - 14.6%
iPhone 4S - 11.2%
iPad 2 - 6.4%
iPad Mini - 8.1%

Lowest platforms:
iPhone 6 - 1.4%
iPod Touch 4 - 1.5%

iPhone 6 makes sense. It's brand new, still expensive and doesn't offer anything much over the ubiquitous iPhone 5 models. The 6+ is already at 3.8% and growing though.

Android:
50.4% of users are on 4.4.0
A not unsizeable 2.5% are still sticking on 2.3.3

In just the last two releases, we've had users using 10,693 different models of Android devices. Of those, 8485 models have less than 10 users on them, and 4547 models have just one user. Fragmentation, it's a thing.

Because of the fragmentation, it's also rough getting an exact count on specific "overall" models of a device. For example, the Galaxy S3 has 22 different base identifiers (i9300, R530, l747, etc) and multiple sub-indentifiers when specific carriers mess with them. It's pretty easy to see that "Samsung" is the top manufacturer, but way harder to see specifically how many S3/S4/Note users we have without much digging.

Top Platforms (at a minimum):
Galaxy S3 - 5.2%
Galaxy S4 - 4.6%
Galaxy S5 - 2.6%
Nexus 7 - 2.1%
Nexus 5 - 1.3%
Note 3 - 1.1%

Top Manufacturers:
Samsung - 49.8%
LGE - 8.5%
Sony - 5.4%
HTC - 5.1%
Motorola - 4.9%

Demographics:
As expected, the US is leading the way for both platforms.
iOS - 42.8%
Android - 34%

After that, things split out pretty wide between the platforms. UK sits at #2 on iOS at 8.1%, but #4 on Android at 4.6% of users.

Top 5s are:

iOS
US - 42.8%
UK - 8.1%
Canada - 6%
Japan - 3.8%
Germany - 3.3%

Android
US - 34%
Brazil - 6%
Russia - 5.2%
UK - 4.6%
Mexico - 3.7%

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Woupd be nice to see summarized percentages for all EU (as continent) countries, and possibly other continents
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Woupd be nice to see summarized percentages for all EU (as continent) countries, and possibly other continents
    Or, since it's something that comes up a lot, by time zone!
  • Oh my where are the Steam numbers? Or do we need to look at Steam for that?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Oh my where are the Steam numbers? Or do we need to look at Steam for that?
    United States 30.17%
    Russia 7.32%
    Germany 7.10%
    United Kingdom 5.54%
    Canada 5.11%
    France 5.01%
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a great thread and I would suggest posting this update on a monthly basis along with the Developer Q&A. The people who read the q&A are probably also interested in the stats to see if they can glean any insight in optimizing their play via start times etc...

Say what you will about Sentry Bombing, coordinated shield hops, but you have to admit that these were innovative tactics that completely change how players approach the game.

Full disclosure and transparency in the development process makes it possible for people to be innovative in their game play without resorting to hacks.

+1 for more statistics
  • I can proudly say I'm the 0.0000000000001% making up the South Africa demographic. Yay!
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Awesome statistics!

... Am I the ONLY ONE in the MPQ playerbase playing on an iPod Touch 5th Generation?! I don't even see it reported!

icon_eek.gif

I should get a prize!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kind of wonder how many people are playing on multiple platforms (phone and tablet, or steam and other)
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I would be interested in the overall split of the user base between IOS, Android, and Steam. I can go ahead and assume Steam most likely has the smallest percentage, but which has the highest?
  • Spoit wrote:
    I kind of wonder how many people are playing on multiple platforms (phone and tablet, or steam and other)

Android/iPad for me...so that's 1. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Oh my where are the Steam numbers? Or do we need to look at Steam for that?
    United States 30.17%
    Russia 7.32%
    Germany 7.10%
    United Kingdom 5.54%
    Canada 5.11%
    France 5.01%

So, assuming a rollup of other EU country numbers proportionate to population size, the EU as a player base isn't far behind the USA?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    While this is still quite interesting to see, I would be interested in some fiscal statistics, too.
  • Share GothicKratos' sentiments. Something along the lines of: average amount spent per player, daily revenue, % players with no transaction history etc.
  • Thanks for posting Steam numbers. Now if there was only a way to link it to mobile devices.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    of course steam doesn't even get a mention
  • Any statistics of broken devices that where thrown into walls after they missed that rank reward by few points? icon_razz.gif
  • of course steam doesn't even get a mention

It does if you read the whole thread. icon_e_smile.gif
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards

Only after someone explicitly asked for it, because the devs left it out of the original pool of numbers, if you read the whole thread...
    Quite indicative of how they treat the PC/Steam platform as a whole; an afterthought.
  • _RiO_ wrote:

Only after someone explicitly asked for it, because the devs left it out of the original pool of numbers, if you read the whole thread...
    Quite indicative of how they treat the PC/Steam platform as a whole; an afterthought.

I did read the whole thread, which is why I told him that steam did get a mention. He didn't say "steam didn't get a mention in the OP".

If you read the whole thread.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Lowest platforms:
    iPhone 6 - 1.4%

iPhone 6 makes sense. It's brand new, still expensive and doesn't offer anything much over the ubiquitous iPhone 5 models. The 6+ is already at 3.8% and growing though.
    You think so? The only things that the 6+ offers over it are optical image stabilization in the camera and being too big to use reasonably as a phone. Performance-wise, my 6 runs rings around my old 5.