Best use of spending money / should I?

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I've been playing like mad the last 3-4 days.

I currently have
modern - bw 5/5 level 27
original - bw 0/2/1 - level 8
IM35 - 3/4/2/ level 17
DrDoom 1/0/0 level 15
modern storm - 3/2/1/ - level 14
classic hawkeye 2/3 - level 11
thor - 1/0/1 - level 8 - level 8
venom - 0/3 - level 5

I have the hood grey, classic storm blue, widowmaker wolverine yellow, 3 bagmans, and bullseye grey covers available to me, but I haven't recruited any of them since none of them would be able to be levelled up except for bagman.

What am I supposed to do now? I have reached a point where I am having trouble grinding the widow maker event. My main team is im35, modern bw, and storm or hawkeye depending on the level.
I also cannot beat some stages without devestating losses.

What should I be grinding? I tried to check the tips and read through, but didn't see anything well laid out - please just point me in the right direction [I swear I've read through the faq] I also haven't seen any lightning events yet...and I think I've gone as far as I can in the shield holoroom.

Also - I'm pretty adverse to spending money as I blew a lot of money on another microtransaction game I no longer play, but I wouldn't mind spending 20-50 bucks once.

What is the best use of this money?

Comments

• Well, for long-term play, you'll want character slots. Having a wide selection of characters to choose from comes in very handy later on.

How far have you gotten in the prologue? Grinding the Prologue to get all the good rewards (500 ISO, 2* character covers, Recruit tokens) will help. Your characters seem to be fairly low level, so leveling them up more would be good. I'd say pick the 3 1* heroes you like best, and level to 30. By then, they should be strong enough to help you grind a lot of the prologue, and get you more of the 2* characters they give out (Storm, Thor, Wolverine, Daken).

I would not blow a ton of money yet though, other than to get enough character slots to house your covers. Buying tokens will just make the problem of not having enough slots worse, and you're low enough that spending HP on upgrading covers directly doesn't make a ton of sense. I do believe there is still a promotion going on that will double the amount of ISO you can buy, but ISO is pretty easily available, so unless you ~really~ want to skip the grind for a short period, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • What he said. I've spent $25 on just slots. Rest has been elbow grease icon_e_wink.gif
  • Slots. You will want about 30 slots to cover all heroes and if you place all events and place...you can slowly gain HP usually 50-100 at a time for new slots. if you are feeling lucky try any of the random grabs but do know that it is based off of the RNG gods (Random number generator). If you really want to you can find a hero you really want to max and spend HP on that. For example, maxing out Spider Man's Blue will cost 5000 hp or about $40.00 usd depending on sales and such. is it worth it? Depends on your play style. Focus on getting slots first then try your hand on other bits.
  • Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

Similar to the other game - it seems like bag space/character slots is the best use of funds.

I'll take your guys advice and use $$ on just slots.

I recently won a hulk, and got lucky with a Im40 unibeam.

Should I bother even recruiting them at this point [as opposed to letting them sit in the recruit area] since the likely hood I will get any covers for them is slim to none and I won't be able to level them?
  • Recruit them, because if you don't, eventually, they will expire. While you will not be able to level them immediately, the 3* hero are excellent once you can. It's all part of the progression in the game. You move from 1* characters, to 2*, and eventually, 3*. I've been playing since the game started, and only beginning in Dec was I able to start making the move to a 3-* team (And even then, I'm fairly likely to use a 2* like wolverine or Thor.), so it takes a while. But I definitely regret selling off a couple 3* covers I got when I first started.
  • You should be spending all your focus on making a better BW/IM35/Modern Storm team. Use your ISO to level them up and use boosts to grind out prologue missions. Currently, they are too low leveled and need more HPs. Try to make sure your IM35 is the highest leveled characters, so he can take most of the damage. Just use PVP tourneys to get easy rewards. Play every day.

As you gain more Thor covers, you want to use him to replace your IM35. Then eventually you will want to replace Modern Storm with Classic Storm or Wolverine.

If you are desperate for space, don't be afraid to sell 1 star characters like Venom. You will have ample opportunity during this game to get new covers of him.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not sure if your roster can handle most of the hulk event, but try if you can. There is a lot of ISO/tokens and some hero points there from placing in the sub events and doing the progression rewards-- better yet, you can probably get 2 wolvie covers easily. At 6000 points you get a red one and at 8000 point you get a green one. The tokens will probably get you more wolvies, so you could actually skip levelling iron man if you can get a decent amount of wolvie 2* covers.

Not to mention getting wolvie will help you in the hulk event too since he is boosted. There are also covers in the prologue for him (dark avengers mission in dark avengers chapter), however those could also be hard to get to.
  • Yep, don't focus on the high * guys just yet if you only have a few covers. Sure they might be higher level but they won't be very useful from the lack of abilities point of view.

I had my main 1*, M.Storm,IM35,M.BW maxed for awhile just until this Hulk event to be honest when i started getting enough Wolverine tokens for him to take off. Now he's the anchor of my team at 85 and he's boosted during The Hulk event so he's a beast and a half. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I'd only spend money if you get a powerful hero with covers that are difficult to come by. This is likely a 3 star, though Wolverine would qualify as well. However, currently all sorts of tournaments are handing out Wolverine covers so I'd just try those events first. More roster space never hurts, but all you really need is one strong hero early on and most 2 star covers just aren't that valuable unless they happen to be boosted characters for a particular event.
  • All I've read on the forums was rag nerf blah blah blah I spent money to buy a useless character blah blah blah and they learnt their lesson. The lesson is: NEVER spend your hp on covers icon_e_biggrin.gif (I don't feel any empathy to those who paid to win!) just buy slots! Slots slot slots!!!!
  • I've never spent it on anything but roster slots, and don't really intend to spend any in the foreseeable future, now that I have 29 slots (two of which are empty).
  • Davometer wrote:
    All I've read on the forums was rag nerf blah blah blah I spent money to buy a useless character blah blah blah and they learnt their lesson. The lesson is: NEVER spend your hp on covers icon_e_biggrin.gif (I don't feel any empathy to those who paid to win!) just buy slots! Slots slot slots!!!!

Risk vs reward. If they used an overpowered Rag for 1+ months to 2 shot people in pvp tournaments and generally have much faster rounds then it may have been worth it.

I can certainly see the benefit of buying a cover versus waiting for one to drop from a pack, RNG or winning it in a tourny (if it's ever available), etc.

If you're having fun it's a matter of time vs money. For many people time is more expensive. For me, the act of playing is "fun" so building up my characters is fun too, throwing money at it may speed it up but also shorten my experience.

That being said, covers are the best thing to go for until you feel you have enough. Ie. you're not a collector like me who needs to have every slot icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I suggest holding onto your money for now and waiting to see over the next month what happens