Best way to spend 20,000 Hero Points?

I was lucky enough to win 20k Hero Points at NYCC today (thanks!), and I figured I shouldn't spend them all without at least asking everyone here on the best way to use them.

For context, I'm 2* player slowly making the transition to 3* play; my top 3* characters are Punisher (L104, 5/2/1), Sentry (L89, 3/2/2), Deadpool (L78, 3/1/2), Falcon (L78, 1/3/2) and Spider-Man (L76, 2/2/3).

Comments

• mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congratulations! I would buy roster slots first, then set aside a good amount for shields. I'm not sure buying covers would help you that much, but Sentry is probably your best long term bet if you really want to do that.
  • M695_MPQ wrote:
    I was lucky enough to win 20k Hero Points at NYCC today (thanks!), and I figured I shouldn't spend them all without at least asking everyone here on the best way to use them.

For context, I'm 2* player slowly making the transition to 3* play; my top 3* characters are Punisher (L104, 5/2/1), Sentry (L89, 3/2/2), Deadpool (L78, 3/1/2), Falcon (L78, 1/3/2) and Spider-Man (L76, 2/2/3).

Congrats on the lucky win!!!

My suggestions:
    1. Roster slots (lots of them for all the 3 stars)
    2. Decide on a portion to use for shields in future events (maybe 2 or 3k)
    3. Decide on a portion to spend on daily deals, the anniversary daily deal is decent value. Avoid 10/42 packs.
    4. Save some for essential covers (5th skill covers for top tier characters at 10+ covers total, like Daken's 5th purple or Thor's 5th yellow)
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats!

If you're ok on roster spots, I might consider consider buying the covers for Sentry and then putting iso in him. If you can build a decent running mate for him (Hood or Daken), you could instantly become quite strong in PVP's.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    How many X-Force covers do you have? Pretty sure that the best way to spend a ton of HP is on X-Force nowadays: he's going to carry your roster to victory if you can get his black and green to level 5.
  • Thanks for the tips! I'm doing fine for roster slots at the moment, so that's not a huge priority for me. And I'll earmark a few thousand for shields; I usually only place 70th-90th in standard PVP so I've never had the need to use them before, but I guess it's a good thing to think about looking forward.

No X-Force covers, unfortunately; might put a few into Sentry. If only the 10/42 Anniversary Packs were a daily deal.
  • M695_MPQ wrote:
    Thanks for the tips! I'm doing fine for roster slots at the moment, so that's not a huge priority for me. And I'll earmark a few thousand for shields; I usually only place 70th-90th in standard PVP so I've never had the need to use them before, but I guess it's a good thing to think about looking forward.

No X-Force covers, unfortunately; might put a few into Sentry. If only the 10/42 Anniversary Packs were a daily deal.

Well sometimes you can reach a better score with fewer retaliations around 15 to 7 hours left in the PVP events. using a couple 3 or 8 hr shields can sometimes lead to landing in the top 25 for an extra cover. As your roster and scores improve, the idea of boosted-shield hopping to reach the 1100 progression reward cover starts to become a wise use of a couple hundred hero points.

10 and 42 packs are a huge rip off, so just pace yourself on buying daily deals. You'll get lucky once in a while but your roster will grow randomly, hence my first recommendation to have some hero points earmarked for roster slots since you might also pulls some 4 stars
  • Keep in mind Sentry may be about to get nerfed. I would be hesitant about spending hp on him if I was just starting my transition. I'd say roster slots first, and be sure to at least get the daily deals on the anniversary tokens.
  • The best character to transition 2-3 is Patch by a mile though. If you can get him to 5 yellow covers, you're winning the vast majority of fights against 2* rosters.

You can get into a top 75-50 alliance with a solid 2* roster and spend a lot of that shield hopping, that's by far the best way to make sure you get the most 3* covers for your hp.
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    6 covers to max sentry. That's 7500 hp. I'd absolutely start there.

Don't wait and save for shields...I keep about 2k hp in reserves and that suits me fine...

Don't fret a sentry nerf, just push forward, these things sometimes take forever...I bought covers for ragnarok before his nerf and never regret it. He made the roster I have that.

Sentry is probably your best shot at accelerating roster development
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    6 covers to max sentry. That's 7500 hp. I'd absolutely start there.

Don't wait and save for shields...I keep about 2k hp in reserves and that suits me fine...

Don't fret a sentry nerf, just push forward, these things sometimes take forever...I bought covers for ragnarok before his nerf and never regret it. He made the roster I have that.

Sentry is probably your best shot at accelerating roster development

Agree, he's so broken right now you should max him out ASAP since you have the opportunity.

I'd use the rest for shield hopping during your top end pushes and get lots of those 1100/1300 point covers during versus tourneys. AP boosts + sentry you can finish matches in less than a minute sometimes. health pack and go again, then shield. 2 (or if you end super fast) matches per hop so you don't lose points getting hit back.

Think about it like this, aside from the HP spent on Sentry, it will cost you less than 1250 HP to shield hop to 1100/1300 points, so you'll be able to accumulate more covers and make your HP go very far in developing your roster.

I have 49 slots and 2 missing characters (yelena, 1*hawk) if you need a gauge of how many roster slots are needed now for a full roster.
  • El_Dude
    El_Dude Posts: 53
    edited October 2014
    M695_MPQ wrote:

That's awesome. I picked up the 600 HP reward from an anniversary token but 20k is amazing. Congratulations!

Do you have many 2* characters cover maxed? If not, I would consider spending 5000 on the anniversary 10pk. I'm a rebel...or crazy.

The only good time to buy a 10pk is when you're roster is still filled with under-covered characters. That's when nearly every cover is one you would need. The chances of getting 3* and 4* covers is much higher from the anniversary tokens than anytime else. I've gotten gold covers on 50% of my token pulls so far. Add in the Daily token for 50 HP each day and you could have a fully covered Devil Dino when it's all done. There's a 15% chance of getting him from a 10pk and he starts out at almost 5200 health. And hey, you could pull a 20k ISO from a token. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, I don't really agree on covers for Sentry. Can you level him up too? If not, then he's not that scary. If you do go the Sentry route, earmark HP for health packs too. You'll need them to play more than three matches in a row. And there's the whole upcoming nerfing others have mentioned.

I'm going to sell Deadpool a bit. At 5 red covers he becomes really strong for just two match-3 reds. Can take chunks off the enemy health very quickly. He has an AoE purple that is a little difficult to reach, but it's okay at 3 covers and strong at 4 covers. Plus, if you pile up Deadpool points, automatic wins against even the strongest teams. Finally, his black can diminish big attacks on dangerous but squishy characters your opponents will want to take off the board immediately -- 2* Storm, OBW, Hood, Falcon.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I would throw covers at Punisher. They recently announced that he is going out of circulation in cover packs. He is extremely useful.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    If you intend to play this game LONG term...I have the most boring answer for you...roster slots.

Fill up at least 4 full pages of roster slots.
    Use any remaining hp for intelligent shield hops and critical +1 all boost purchases to maximize your PvP cover rewards.

If you're fortunate enough to get into a top 100 alliance...in the long run you'll find yourself with too many covers through regular play. The real problem is the lack of ISO. Take FULL advantage of lightning rounds if you don't already. Join them within 20 seconds of them opening and farm those seed teams. The earlier you get into this habit the faster you'll truly grow your roster.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    you could max cover punisher and sentry

12 covers X 1259 = 15000 with 5K on roster slots.

But probably not great, if you spend them all on sentry and then win a whole lot of games your MMR will go way up, then if he is nerfed you will be out of your depth.

It looks like you are barely starting the 3 star journey so you could throw caution to the win and say easy come easy go and grab a 42 pack, I have had amazing 42 pack, and I have had 2 X 42 pack with no gold at all. So if it is a one off I probably wouldn't go this route. More economical though would be buy 1 token a day, if you do the math the 1 token is better value than the 42, don't know why but it is. I still wouldn't go this route.

I'd say 1 of 2 things

Max cover Punisher and roster slots out the whazoo or more likely just sit on them. Later on you will get to like 5/5/1 and just need those last two covers, and it would be much better to spend it on that, or you win a new character and want to spend the HP on a roster slot. I reckon sit on them without just letting them whittle down with shield and silly things like health packs. like a gambler, you can spend if you have more than 20K, you can't when you have less, I think you will get much more out of them in 2-3 months when your roster is much more into 3 star land.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shield hop the current Deadpool event. It might be enough to get you near the leaderboard.