Match Ups - will there ever be an effort to address this?

So all the while we see things like WOlverine X being retardedly powered up, and hair brained 'team up' features installed which harpoon the balance of the game all in the name of progress I guess. Meanwhile as anyone who plays can attest - the match making algos or process is in many cases idiotic.

Sorry. In a quest to build up a 4 star player you should not consistently have your 100-110-120 guys being forced to face nothing but 166er only to see you get your face pounded in, or have to spend crystals or money trying to stack the deck in your favor.

Sorry. A guy with 166er should not be forced to line up perpetually against high level wolverine x force or nick fury.

Sorry. If you're off doing some ham fisted quest, a guy with 166ers should not be able to sneak in and whip your butt while you have weaker characters MANDATED by the particular quest.

What is the answer? It's your game. Solve it.

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    i believe the correct phrasing would be 'tank or bust'.
  • locked wrote:
    i believe the correct phrasing would be 'tank or bust'.

Tanking only highlights the need for this issue to be addressed. People have talked about horrid MMRs since the games inception and it is never even acknowledged by D3. Two of my top 4 characters were nerfed (Mags/Spidey), yet I'm still expected to beat teams of 166 Sentry/Lazy Thor/Insert your newer, more powerful character(s) here ??

Also, how can I tank when I open an event and I am faced with 3 166 opponents? If the answer is to join each event the minute it starts.... well, no thanks, I'm not devoting any more time to game that requires me killing my characters to lower my MMR to a level that I can deal with. How fun is that?! It's not like I could do that even if I wanted to; who the hell has the time?! MPQ requires $$$ or that you devote your life to the game. Again, no thanks... I play casually, knowing that I don't stand a chance of progressing.
  • MikeHock wrote:

Also, how can I tank when I open an event and I am faced with 3 166 opponents? If the answer is to join each event the minute it starts.... well, no thanks, I'm not devoting any more time to game that requires me killing my characters to lower my MMR to a level that I can deal with. How fun is that?! It's not like I could do that even if I wanted to; who the hell has the time?! MPQ requires $$$ or that you devote your life to the game. Again, no thanks... I play casually, knowing that I don't stand a chance of progressing.

Agreed on the time issue. "All you have to do is spend an hour or so tanking and then build yourself back up!"

MPQ (hell, any Puzzle Quest game) isn't a game to be played for 6 hours in a row. ****. I mean, no game is, but it's not an MMO, and it gets stale really quick.

The more that the meta for PVP is exposed, the less appealing the game is. Good games do not punish people for playing them as intended.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Bear with me here. I'm not a dev and I can't say things work the way they work for this and that reason, nor am I authorised to, lol, but I believe that players are expected to either overcome the 166 wall with purchasing 3* covers, ISO, slots, whatever, mostly covers, or become more and more disappointed over the lack of progress with time (which I'm definitely not sure about since it seems most people want to progress fast, probably faster than intended).

Tanking will be a temporary crutch for you if you are unwilling to either spend or patiently wait/focus on PvE instead, etc. Once you develop a roster strong enough, you might not need tanking anymore. Granted, developed enough might mean 'top characters' (XF/Sentry/Hood/LD/cMags/LT, etc) since everything else is fair game.
  • locked wrote:
    Bear with me here. I'm not a dev and I can't say things work the way they work for this and that reason, nor am I authorised to, lol, but I believe that players are expected to either overcome the 166 wall with purchasing 3* covers, ISO, slots, whatever, mostly covers, or become more and more disappointed over the lack of progress with time (which I'm definitely not sure about since it seems most people want to progress fast, probably faster than intended).

Tanking will be a temporary crutch for you if you are unwilling to either spend or patiently wait/focus on PvE instead, etc. Once you develop a roster strong enough, you might not need tanking anymore. Granted, developed enough might mean 'top characters' (XF/Sentry/Hood/LD/cMags/LT, etc) since everything else is fair game.

Of course they want you to be discouraged and instead spend $$$$ to level up. Of course that is by design. Cr@p like that doesn't work with me and I will NEVER spend money on this game again. Am I supposed to shell out 20 bucks so they can nerf my characters in 3-4 months. No freakin' way! I quit the game after for 2-3 months because of the endless changes, nerfs and because I stopped progressing. I came back for Cap. Marvel (won 1 cover) & Deadpool (didn't come close to winning a cover) and I see that not only has nothing changed; it's gotten worse, IMHO.

So, I'll play casually knowing that I'll never catch the carrot...... the carrot that isn't even dangling in front of me; it's 100 feet away.
  • Boy oh boy thanks for the replies guys. Its refreshing to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I was expecting to get flamed. So generally the case is they paper over the problems with sales where they can't even do the math on 30% right, and other new features instead of addressing the problem?

Damn. I guess I'm lucky in that I have my hulk and Captain america pinned, and punisher not far off. It doesn't help me though when some loser with a 200+ wolverine comes in and parts my hair.

At minimum they should think about getting a 4 star class going in the same way that the 3 stars don't normally draw 2 stars. Other than that, perhaps use something more complex than a braun hand blender to generate the match making algos.
  • I'd be fine if they just added a grace period to your shields. Like, how about 15 minutes at the end of each shield where you can't be attacked? It's bad enough when you're doing the shield hop and you have to fight real tough opponents, but that's the challenge of the game. Use your boosts, fight three battles, re-shield. I don't care if this makes it that much harder to win top slot because everyone else is getting higher scores. What I care about is the time I was in first place, and lost 114 points during one battle. I think I was hit five times. I won my own fight, only to find I'd lost a truly brutal amount of progress.

If I'm not going to win top 5, I'd still like a chance at the 1100 progression reward, if not the 1300. Instead, what I get is stress. It's actually scary to break my shield, knowing I might actually lose huge points instead of gaining only a few. I'd really like that to stop.
  • Well i continue to draw 200 plus level nick fury and xforce... great job guys. Maybe work on new low end characters instead of fixing your game.
  • ShanePHallam
    ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
    It is rough and frustrating to sit on the skip button for a half hour to find a team even close to yours icon_e_sad.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    I'd be fine if they just added a grace period to your shields. Like, how about 15 minutes at the end of each shield where you can't be attacked? It's bad enough when you're doing the shield hop and you have to fight real tough opponents, but that's the challenge of the game. Use your boosts, fight three battles, re-shield. I don't care if this makes it that much harder to win top slot because everyone else is getting higher scores. What I care about is the time I was in first place, and lost 114 points during one battle. I think I was hit five times. I won my own fight, only to find I'd lost a truly brutal amount of progress.

If I'm not going to win top 5, I'd still like a chance at the 1100 progression reward, if not the 1300. Instead, what I get is stress. It's actually scary to break my shield, knowing I might actually lose huge points instead of gaining only a few. I'd really like that to stop.
    So, you want a 15-minute period after unshielding, during which you can hit people while staying perfectly invincible? Current shieldhops at high point values typically last anywhere from 30 sec (one boosted Sentry bomb) to 8 minutes (three not-so-quick fights), due to fear of being slammed by people 400 points below you. Such hops gain a player anywhere from 30 points to 150 points. A 15-minute completely invincible hop would net an efficient player somewhere in the range of 250-300 points.

You say you don't care about winning top spot, but then say you care about that time you were in first place and lost points. Prepare to never see first place ever again aside from occasional instances where you're placed into a fluffy bracket containing only casual players.

Moreover, if you're not visible to other players in the queue pool during that 15-minute grace period? Prepare to see a drastic reduction in the number of juicy targets you can queue for your own hops.

If you are visible to other players during that 15-minute grace period? You're essentially looking at making Kyipgate de rigueur for all PVPs going forward: everyone hitting pseudo-shielded targets, pushing scores past 2000 even without X-Men buddy-hopping.

Shields buy you security. Why shouldn't it be scary to break shield? In PVP, every reward entails risk. You're asking to completely remove risk from the equation.