Psylocke BLUE cover reward flood

2»

Comments

• Yeah, honestly, Psylocke's blue is just so bad that it's hard to even get your head around. At first, stealing up to 19AP seems decent. Hell, even attached to a 10-AP price tag and a 2-turn countdown. But let's think about it for a moment. Why is AP steal good? Well, it gives you resources, and it robs the enemy of resources. Two problems.

1. Robbing the enemy of resources is meaningless if the enemy has no use for those resources. If I'm running Patch/Cap/Daken, for instance, and the opponent uses bewilder on me, 9/10 times it's going to hit purple. I don't care if I lose my purple with that team; it's AP I can never use anyways. She could have stolen my red AP or my blue AP or my Green AP... But by the time Bewilder comes online, I almost always have had time to, yanno, spend it. On skills I want to use. And if not, then there's hardly going to be enough there to justify stealing 19 of it.
    2. Giving me resources is meaningless if I have no use for those resources. This gets into the metagame a bit, but... The fact that I picked a team up there that has no active purple skill? Not a coincidence. The fact is that with almost any solid team you pick, purple is going to be a dead color. There are almost no active purple skills, and all of the characters with active purple skills are either somewhere between mediocre and terrible (Loki, Falcon, GSBW, Daredevil) or incredibly difficult to get (Deadpool, Fury). Name me a solid or top-tier 3* team, and the dead color is almost always going to be purple. And you're probably not running purple either, for exactly the same reason! Indeed, this is the paradox inherent in Bewilder - the more likely you are to snag a certain color, the less likely it is that anyone on your team can do anything with it. In the 2* range you at least mitigate this problem; there, the "rare color" is usually Black, and Psylocke has an awesome black. But in the 3* range, where you'll usually be using the character? No. This theory is borne out again and again in practice.

This would make the skill hard to use even without the minimum 2-turn counter. With the countdown, the enemy can explicitly seek out purple, or any other color they think can protect their most important colors, to cockblock you. Almost every time I use the skill, I spend 10 AP and get nothing in return. Bewilder could be a decent skill. But the restriction of "color with most AP", which would seem to make it get the most bang for its buck, in reality just makes it completely unplayable on a fundamental level. And I don't just mean "bad now", I mean "bad regardless of what they do". Like, what if they add a whole bunch of really decent purple passives? Well, simple - the meta would shift, and suddenly yellow would be the "weak" color. The color that's rare. The color that most teams don't cover. There is no good way around this. Not without the balance between powers being far, far better than they are now.

"Almost every time I use the skill, I spend 10 AP and get nothing in return."

THIS!