MMR system Fixes

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Any good suggestions on how to fix the MMR issues we've all been encountering? I'm talking about somewhat simple tweaks, not a whole revamp of the system.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to hit progression rewards because my MMR must be too low. I just managed to crack 800 in the Avengers tourny. The last 50 points i had to skip dozens of 5 point opponents and eventual grab a 10 point match. It wasn't this brutal in previous tournamnents. That is what I'm used to dealing with when i get close to 1100, not 800. I think that your initial options should be based on you MMR, but once you skip the same 5 guys 3 times it should start to open up and expand your MMR range, allowing you to take on opponents that the game thinks are too far out of your league.Or maybe have an option of what type of opponent you want. Easy=slightly bellow your MMR, Medium is equal to your MMR, Hard is slightly above your MMR. I'm no expert so maybe some of these things would break the game, but something has to happen because its getting frustrating

Comments

• The high rating progression rewards are pretty much inherently unobtainable because there's no way to hold onto your rating in a game that grossly favors the attacker. The only possible way to pull this off is if nobody is playing the game while you're making your push. All it takes is two guys who can see your to bring you down. Regardless of the underlying rating system, it's simply not possible to climb high on the rating system without a ton of luck.

What should happen is the high end progression rewards needs to be changed to 'X wins against quality opponents'. The simplest method would be an opponent rating is equal to or higher than top 10 of your bracket. In fact, anything else would be pretty darn hard just because the only places you can reliably see is top 10 of your bracket!
  • I've hit the 1100 mark many times. Its hard and there is a certain amount of "luck" and timing involved, but its been doable. This is the first week in the last 3 or 4 weeks that I haven't been able to get even close. And its got to be because my MMR is too low because of tanking a lightning round earlier in the week. I find it hard to believe that no one is higher than 800 points right now. And yes getting hit and losing points is usually a factor. But i just climbed from 250-800 in about 1.5 hours and only got hit once in that time. So while that is a nusance its not the issue that is currectly keeping me from hiting my goal.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    the moose wrote:
    I've hit the 1100 mark many times. Its hard and there is a certain amount of "luck" and timing involved, but its been doable. This is the first week in the last 3 or 4 weeks that I haven't been able to get even close. And its got to be because my MMR is too low because of tanking a lightning round earlier in the week. I find it hard to believe that no one is higher than 800 points right now. And yes getting hit and losing points is usually a factor. But i just climbed from 250-800 in about 1.5 hours and only got hit once in that time. So while that is a nusance its not the issue that is currectly keeping me from hiting my goal.

It's not your MMR - you're making a connection between MMR and points inappropriately.

And, yes, the number of people who are 800+ points currently is likely very low (and those who are there, are unlikely to be there for much longer.)

In these last couple of tournaments, 800 points is the new '1000 points'. It used to be that points started becoming zero-sum at around 800 points. Nowadays, points are zero-sum at around 500 points. That is the reason getting to 1100 is really difficult in this tournament.
  • There is something going on with the scoring, resulting in many people being unable to achieve and maintain higher scores. So, while matchmaking is probably part of it, part of it is there just aren't many folks above 500. =\
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The ELO rating is inherently a pyramid structure. It takes at least 10 guys with a rating of X to feed enough rating points for a guy with a rating of X+400, because a rating of X+400 implies you win 90% of the time against a guy 400 lower than you. In this game's context, that'd mean the X+400 guy only loses 1 defense battle out of 10, which is an insane assumption. It's probably more realistic to assume it takes 100 guys with rating of X to support a single guy with rating of X+400, and you'd need 10000 guys to hit X+800.

To put a more concrete example, I'm currently #130 in my bracket, and the top score is 450, which is 250 more than mine. Assuming there's nothing particularly weird about my bracket, then this means the current tournament has a structure of there being a guy with 450 points for every 130 guys with a score of 200, and there would be a guy with 700 points for every 130*130 = 16900 guys with a score of 200. Looking at The Hulk and SHIELD ranking numbers, I'm guessing there are less than 100K players actively this game, so there should be at most 6 guys that can hold a rating of 700. Looking at the numbers reported, this seems pretty accurate. Note that this is about holding. It's certainly not that hard to peak at 700 if the timing is right, but I'd strongly doubt if you can hold that rating for even longer than an hour.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    There is something going on with the scoring, resulting in many people being unable to achieve and maintain higher scores. So, while matchmaking is probably part of it, part of it is there just aren't many folks above 500. =\

This. Overall scores are lower, hence the point you can push to is lower.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Kyosokun wrote:
    There is something going on with the scoring, resulting in many people being unable to achieve and maintain higher scores. So, while matchmaking is probably part of it, part of it is there just aren't many folks above 500. =\

This. Overall scores are lower, hence the point you can push to is lower.
    So what changed to make this the case? Did the devs nerf it? Because it was fine last week. IceIX any info would be great. Figures it has to happen on the week they have blue spidey's at 1100
  • People are losing more points to retaliations. No one seems to know why. It doesn't appear to be a deliberate change. With the holidays, and presumably a lighter crew than usual at the office, it hasn't been addressed yet.