Pay an extra 25 HP for an extra hour of shields option.

whitecat31
whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
If somebody is going to put up their shields, three choices exist.
3 hours for 75 HP
8 hours for 150HP
24 hours for 300 hp.
I am not saying change these.
What I would like is while shielded we get an option to buy an extra hour or more for 25 HP an hour.
Just a little button that says. "Would you like to buy an extra hour of shielding for 25 HP", would make our lives so much easier.
This option would only be available AFTER somebody is shielded, so as to not mess with the economics of the game.

Why?
So we don't have to run our lives around the game based on shielding.
So we can sleep for more than 8 hours or work for more than 8 hours.
So the 4 hours shift worker, doesn't have to for the 8 hour shield.
So people don't get fired for playing at their work, because their 8 hour shield has failed.
So our loved ones don't go ballistic when we "choose" to play the game so the shields can be re-raised.
So we don't get speeding tickets or do other really stupid things in life like get in car accidents or whatever because we are rushing around.
So some of us don't have to quit the game because they realize that they don't want to make these choices and we are too cheap/stupid to shield for the 24 hours.

To make you guys more money.

Comments

• Essentially this is a 1 hour shield option for 25 HP. It should either replace entirely the 3 hour option (and you just buy it 3 times) or it should be more like 1 hour shield for 35 HP to preserve the shield levels basic formula.

If implemented, buying shields while shielded needs to add the time together, and not just start over. 1 hour shields for reduced HP cost might actually dent HP spending tho, in that shield hopping becomes cheaper to do. Every 60 minutes you give healthpack.png to Sentry and Hood, kill 3 nodes, reshiled. Has a 12 minute drain on resources, but from 5 health packs you could do this for some time near the end. Right now I think one of the biggest HP drains is 75 HP per shield hop.

If you want to argue the merits of shield lengths, you could push for a 4 hour shield vs 3 hour shield. 8 hours should be enough, if you need more than 8 just go 24 hour shield. After add-ons of time you will be close to that cost anyway. Weather or not 4 hour shield still costs 75 HP is another question.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I agree that there are problems with the shielding structure right now, I don't think this will help. Lerysh's suggestion of making 4-8-24 hour shields does go towards addressing this issue.

Why not 4 hours for 75 HP, 10 hours for 150 HP, and 24 hours for 300 HP?

Shield hopping tends to increase near the end of Events, and most of those doing so break their shields. Adding an extra hour on really isn't going to affect those players in the least.

This also makes for a more direct correlation for the shields. Each stage is 2.5 times better than the previous one.
    Right now the 8 hour shield is 2.66x better than the 3 hour shield for 2x the cost, and the 24 hour shield is 3x better than the 8 hour shield for again 2x the cost.

I don't think most of us are looking at shields that way though. Any shields being used are typically for a set amount of time that we know we will be unable to play (sleep, work, school, etc.) or for shield hopping.

:start rant:
    I'm also of the opinion that something needs to be done about shield hopping. Breaking shields to queue up opponents is one option. Though I think a better solution would be to give us less info about the players we are facing. Stop giving us the names of our opponents. If shield hoppers couldn't tell if the person they have queued up is their friend that is shielded, that would level the playing field an exceptional amount.
    :Sorry about the rant there.:
  • One problem with this is then people would start asking for 1 hour shields for 25HP as a default option.

I don't really use shields much, so don't feel qualified to comment beyond that.