What other mobile games do you play?

Dninot
Dninot Posts: 214
edited January 2014 in General Discussion
We need some Off Topic General discussion around here!

Mobile-wise, the only other game I'm into is Candy Crush. I'm at level 410 I believe.

What about you'all?

Comments

• I play all kinds but most of them don't keep my interest for long; some because I get bored, other's because they play like **** on my old-**** phone (iPhone 3GS). Hopefully once I upgrade I'll have better quality gaming. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dninot
    hogunner wrote:
    I play all kinds but most of them don't keep my interest for long; some because I get bored, other's because they play like **** on my old-**** phone (iPhone 3GS). Hopefully once I upgrade I'll have better quality gaming. icon_e_smile.gif

I play on Galaxy Note 2. I have an iPhone and can't bear playing on it anymore because the screen is just too small for me now. My stupid big thumbs keep making wrong moves.
  • I like Marvel Avengers Alliance on my ipad. Does that count?
  • I play Blood Battalion. It's not bad.
  • Not to be "THAT GUY" but I have a referral code if anyone wants to play
  • I've only been playing MPQ as of late, but my other frequently played mobile games are Battle Cats, Giant Boulder of Death, and Worms 2: Armageddon.

Worms 2 is just as great as it always has been, but isn't free like the other two.

Giant Boulder of Death is what it sounds like. You are a boulder and you roll over things to make them dead. There are power-ups that can help you roll over more things and/or roll over them better. You can spend real money to roll over all the things and roll over them the very best, but the game is 100% satisfying without it, IMO. I guess it would be in the the infinite runner genre, but it is more fun than others I have played. Temple Run, Despicable Me, and Robot Unicorn Attack 2 all feel like 5 minute anxiety attacks.

Battle Cats is sort of a tower defense game, but probably not the kind you are familiar with (you don't place turrets, for example). Look it up on YouTube if you want to see how it plays. A month ago, I would have recommended the game, but currently it is only available in Japanese. No idea why it was pulled from the US store, but if you can read Japanese (I can't) and/or are good at remembering what button does what (I try), it's a really fun game.
  • I love Elder Sign, but I wish it would have some achievements and unlockables, playing the same game over and over again gets boring.
  • Started playing Plants Vs Zombies 2 this week.. but my phone kind of sucks so it freezes before every level (and sometimes randomly) for 20 seconds. Besides that, it's a great free game, you don't really need to spend any money to enjoy/beat it
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    Started playing Plants Vs Zombies 2 this week.. but my phone kind of sucks so it freezes before every level (and sometimes randomly) for 20 seconds. Besides that, it's a great free game, you don't really need to spend any money to enjoy/beat it

I played it when it first came out and while fun, the freemium aspects were annoying and forced (like making certain popular plants from the first game purchase only). It's had a couple of updates since then and I know they toned down or got rid of some of the freemium aspects so I've been meaning to check it out again. Even so, I beat most of the main game but I didn't spend any money on it because of how annoyed I was with the way they implemented the freemium parts. I would have gladly plunked down $15 for a completely unlocked version or even paid $5 per episode ($15 total) but the way they did it just pissed me off (can you tell? lol).
  • hogunner wrote:
    ZzzWolph wrote:
    Started playing Plants Vs Zombies 2 this week.. but my phone kind of sucks so it freezes before every level (and sometimes randomly) for 20 seconds. Besides that, it's a great free game, you don't really need to spend any money to enjoy/beat it

I played it when it first came out and while fun, the freemium aspects were annoying and forced (like making certain popular plants from the first game purchase only). It's had a couple of updates since then and I know they toned down or got rid of some of the freemium aspects so I've been meaning to check it out again. Even so, I beat most of the main game but I didn't spend any money on it because of how annoyed I was with the way they implemented the freemium parts. I would have gladly plunked down $15 for a completely unlocked version or even paid $5 per episode ($15 total) but the way they did it just pissed me off (can you tell? lol).

Yeah I feel you. You can get by without spending any money and I actually prefer it that way since the stuff you can spend money on (besides the plants) is pretty OP (those 3 powers). It's more challenging this way. You can still buy the plant food or whatever (green leaf thing that gives them special powers) for about 1k gold which you can earn in-game at a steady rate. You rarely ever need it though.

I actually like the freemium model because it allows for growth. It gives the developers incentive ($$$) to push out new content. It's the same for this game. If it was buy-to-play, we would get a bunch of content from the get-go and that's it. Nothing new once you're done playing that. Only updates would be bug fixes, not content. However, with this model, devs can listen to suggestions, implement new features, and most importantly, push out new content that keeps the game fresh.
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    hogunner wrote:
    ZzzWolph wrote:

Yeah I feel you. You can get by without spending any money and I actually prefer it that way since the stuff you can spend money on (besides the plants) is pretty OP (those 3 powers). It's more challenging this way. You can still buy the plant food or whatever (green leaf thing that gives them special powers) for about 1k gold which you can earn in-game at a steady rate. You rarely ever need it though.

I actually like the freemium model because it allows for growth. It gives the developers incentive ($$$) to push out new content. It's the same for this game. If it was buy-to-play, we would get a bunch of content from the get-go and that's it. Nothing new once you're done playing that. Only updates would be bug fixes, not content. However, with this model, devs can listen to suggestions, implement new features, and most importantly, push out new content that keeps the game fresh.

Just to clarify, freemium done right is a beautiful thing, both for players and for developers; MPQ, while not perfect, is a great example of freemium done right: purchases aren't necessary to have fun nor to compete but the purchasable items go a long way towards extending that fun or at least speeding it up. PvZ2, while nowhere close to being the worst freemium game, is still, to me, an example of freemium done wrong (at least when it was first released): it felt like they randomly made chunks of the game unplayable unless you purchased things and took out fundamental aspects of the game just to try and make you pay for them. They came off as greedy and the game came off as incomplete; not a good combo.
  • I used to play CandyCrush... in fact I hoped to finish it by the end year, but I don't think this is going to happen now icon_e_sad.gif Well, in fact I still play it in situations when I don't have access to internet connection, but these are quite rare icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Dninot
    There is no end to Candy Crush. Just a wait for more levels. I finally caught up with the devs and got to the last level a month or 2 ago, and then they released 30 more. Now I'm stuck on a difficult level again, so it'll be a while before i catch up again.
  • Used to be fairly big into Puzzle & Dragons before MPQ. I like how the puzzle mechanics let you drag a piece anywhere on the board...much better way to get big match-3 combos.

The collection aspect wasn't super-interesting to me because the critters were mostly weird little Pokemon-style monsters. I never really got into Pokemon myself so it didn't really grab me. The game also has a lot of exclusive characters to promote other games like Clash of Clans...most recently, they have Batman, Robin, and Catwoman from Arkham Origins. If I wasn't playing MPQ, I would probably be grinding pretty hard for a rare Batman. As it is now, I haven't played P&D for like a week.
  • I usually try to juggle 2 or 3 games at one time, so I don't get burned out on them. Right now my mix is MPQ, Kingdom of Pirates and Kingdom Rush: Frontiers.
  • Since MPQ is getting pretty boring with only regular arenas and no new PvE episode, i've been looking for something new in my spare time. I play a few matches of the current arena, but don't have the patience to grind it anymore. Any suggestions on another mobile game? I played Blood Battalion for a while when it first came out, but the energy recharge time is ridiculous. I like RPGs/TBS
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    Since MPQ is getting pretty boring with only regular arenas and no new PvE episode, i've been looking for something new in my spare time. I play a few matches of the current arena, but don't have the patience to grind it anymore. Any suggestions on another mobile game? I played Blood Battalion for a while when it first came out, but the energy recharge time is ridiculous. I like RPGs/TBS

I've been enjoying both Infinity Sword 3 & Batman Arkham Origins (mobile). They're both very different than MPQ & don't have PvP.
  • Currently playing a very good rpg called Doom and Destiny. Some good laughs for fans of old school rpg games too. On sale atm for a dollar off.

Next on the list (probably over xmas holidays) is some old school classics in FFTA and Lunar Silver Star Story Touch.
  • I'm currently playing MPQ, Knights and Dragons, and Empire

Knights and Dragons, is fun until you either finish all the standard content or start working on getting the best gear. It's nearly a P2P game.

Empire, you have to like MMORTS games, it's a hassel to play, and the tutorial lasts forever. I only play because I'm curious how it develops once pvp starts.
  • I was playing Knights of Pen & Paper (Finished, great game, dunno if there's enough replay value for me to pick it up again though), MegaCityHD, and Plague Inc. But they have all been consumed by Marvel PQ...