Making Team-Ups Infinite Use

Videocrazy
Videocrazy Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
edited September 2014 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I have an issue with Team-Ups, and consumables in general. If they're too good (like the level ~400 Hulk TUs I'm sitting on), I can never bring myself to use them in case I find myself needing them down the road. Other TUs, like Loki's Illusions, are abilities that I would love to have as slot filler for the TUs/Boosts. However, it's often extremely hard to even track down a character you can fight to even have a chance to get it.

My suggestion is this: Instead of TUs being consumables, make them infinitely reusable. Have TUs function as a mini-roster of sorts, where you can keep a handful of different powers and swap them in and out as you wish. It would involve an additional layer of tactics as you pick from your available powers within the constraints of valid choices.

Comments

• I have to disagree with this. This will throw off game balance completely. Can you imagine being able to Sentry bomb without having to use Sentry? Like instead of using him, you use like Daken Patch.
  • The problem is that they're already too good.

Hell, even going into a battle with 3 level 5 one star black widow blueflag.png gives you an almost insurmountable advantage. Even if all you were sent was lvl 1 black widows with 5 blue covers.
  • Videocrazy
    I have to disagree with this. This will throw off game balance completely. Can you imagine being able to Sentry bomb without having to use Sentry? Like instead of using him, you use like Daken Patch.

To clarify, I mean making it so that you don't lose the ability at the end of the fight, not to let you use the same ability multiple times in the same fight.
    ark123 wrote:
    The problem is that they're already too good.

Hell, even going into a battle with 3 level 5 one star black widow blueflag.png gives you an almost insurmountable advantage. Even if all you were sent was lvl 1 black widows with 5 blue covers.

You still need the appropriate amount of AP to activate the ability, which is AP that you're not generating for a color instead. Still, I hadn't considered multiples of the same power being used for this. Perhaps just simply saying you can't be fielding duplicates of a power?
  • Yeah, having a lvl 200 Prehistoric Bite that isn't consumable would be a great idea. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sacrificing other AP to get TU points isn't much of a sacrifice if you have the most broken TU ever that you can use once every match.

On the bright side, this would make storm a ridiculously good climbing character.
  • Videocrazy
    That's why I suggested limiting the strength of a TU to the max level of a character at most, and Devil Dinosaur is a 1* character.
  • The issue is that some powers come with the drawback of being tied to a specific hero.

One star black widow has an infinitely better stunning power than three star spider man, but nobody uses her because she has **** health. The TU gets around that problem very easily.

If you think it's fair, go into a battle with three of those or three of juggernaut's greens. You'll see just how much utility you add. And those powers are just as good if the character is level 1.
  • A compromise could be interesting. Make teamups come in two (or three) packs. So each teamup you earn you can use a few times before it goes away. Lets you get more mileage out of the rare/powerful ones but doesn't give everyone infinite godlike teamups
  • I'd rather they did away with team ups all together. I still see it as a gimmick.

It's hard enough beating scaled up opponents teamed up with goons who generate AP every turn (obivously in PvE). Now I have to worry about denying team up tiles or a freaking Daredevil trap or Punsihers Retribution ( or insert AI team up here) knocking me out in a match against Level 200+ bad guys?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a terrible idea. People would stock up on boosted TUs and just roll over everything. It'd would make the meta even more mindless than the Sentry-bomb and Sexmagnet landscape that we have now.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    yea this would be bad on so many levels, I would just stack aggressive recon/ level 400 world rupture/ level 400 call the storm wheeeeeeeeeee free wins
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    MikeHock wrote:
    I'd rather they did away with team ups all together. I still see it as a gimmick.

It's hard enough beating scaled up opponents teamed up with goons who generate AP every turn (obivously in PvE). Now I have to worry about denying team up tiles or a freaking Daredevil trap or Punsihers Retribution ( or insert AI team up here) knocking me out in a match against Level 200+ bad guys?

Besides Thorned Rose from the Jungle, what Environment Ability was better than an equivalent Team Up?

Did you really like Hot Dog Stand that much? Let's not forget that MOST Environment Abilities SUCKED and were hardly usable once you got into 2* territory.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    I'd rather they did away with team ups all together. I still see it as a gimmick.

Besides Thorned Rose from the Jungle, what Environment Ability was better than an equivalent Team Up?

Did you really like Hot Dog Stand that much? Let's not forget that MOST Environment Abilities SUCKED and were hardly usable once you got into 2* territory.

Haha, I'm guessing you never let your Enviornmental AP in the Forrest get to their max level. Thorned Rose was great, but if you maxed the AP out, you would turn all enviornmental tiles into Red Tiles.

These three maps had very useful enviornmental tiles at Maxed level:

Desert: Oasis granted a lot of Green tiles; I dont remember how many
    Icy Mountain Map (I dont remember its name): OMG, I loved this map. If you maxed out your enviornmental AP, you would turn all red tiles into Blue tiles.
    Forrest: Maxed enviornmental AP turned all enviornmental tiles into Red tiles.

Yes, the Hot Dog stand was awful and Latverian strike tiles were laughable, but these three things were amazingly useful, but definitely overpowered.

Take a look at these screen shots and tell me that you wouldn't love doing this:
    MikeHock wrote:
    PmdRTuws.jpg

3cGWsIDs.jpg
    MikeHock wrote:
    image.jpg

taken from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5078&hilit=extremely+satisfying+moves&start=40
  • Thorned rose was better than forest fire in my opinion. So much rainbow ap was glorious. Oasis was the really broken one though, I do miss that stupid desert.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still believe Alliance Team-Ups should be reusable for however long they are gone from your roster. As it stands now, its a total gamble and mostly a waste.