When Does Rag/Mag start to get Good

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
How many covers and what level do they need to be at before they becomes useable? Obviously they are useable in Lightning rounds much earlier than in normal play without the buff. And what is generally the best strategies you've found for these guys before they hit max levels? My mags is at 0/2/2 and my Rags will soon be at 3/2 (When i get the daily reward in a week or so). Just curious whether i should start trying to use either. I was thinking i might be able to use rags a little to feed GSBW since i have all her covers.

Comments

• Honestly, try them out, see how you feel about them as you level them up. YMMV. My Mag isn't usable to me (0/1/2), but my Rag I think has been useful since he hit 3 red.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    the moose wrote:
    How many covers and what level do they need to be at before they becomes useable? Obviously they are useable in Lightning rounds much earlier than in normal play without the buff. And what is generally the best strategies you've found for these guys before they hit max levels? My mags is at 0/2/2 and my Rags will soon be at 3/2 (When i get the daily reward in a week or so). Just curious whether i should start trying to use either. I was thinking i might be able to use rags a little to feed GSBW since i have all her covers.
    For rags 4 ap reds is really the inflection point, and 3 is where he is the destroyer of worlds (honestly he should probably max out at 3 ap casts). For mags, the 6 ap blue is huge, since it lets you get it off right away with boosts
  • Spoit wrote:
    the moose wrote:
    For rags 4 ap reds is really the inflection point, and 3 is where he is the destroyer of worlds (honestly he should probably max out at 3 ap casts). For mags, the 6 ap blue is huge, since it lets you get it off right away with boosts

What is the goal with the blue? They are defense tiles but do you use them that way or do you just use them to make 5 matches and get crits/cascades?
  • the moose wrote:

What is the goal with the blue? They are defense tiles but do you use them that way or do you just use them to make 5 matches and get crits/cascades?

Bingo,

And not an answer to the original question but I just want to put it here for those who don't know:

With no buff Mags purple does 8268 damage at max level with 13 blue tiles on the board.
  • rags at 3ap red did very well for me, esp in lightning rounds. so 4 red covers was turning point. it gets insane quickly once paired with strike tiles from wolverine or dakan.

for magneto mine is 1/3/5. at 4 or 5 purple covers he really does a huge chunk of damage.

also you should get at least 60 levels into each hero to start to see them flex some muscles.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    the moose wrote:

Bingo,

And not an answer to the original question but I just want to put it here for those who don't know:

With no buff Mags purple does 8268 damage at max level with 13 blue tiles on the board.

What happens if youo have 5 red tiles and 13 blue tiles? Does it do swap damage x 5 or swap damage x 13?
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mags is only limited by the amount of blue tiles for swaps. Check out the char discussion on him where they discover this: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=603&start=40#p15507
    (seems like you only see min(red,blue) swaps on screen, but it does #blue tile swap dmg)
  • Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.

When you all discuss Mags/Rags - you are referring to 3* Mags, correct?
  • Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.

When you all discuss Mags/Rags - you are referring to 3* Mags, correct?

Yep! Welcome.
  • So Mags is good for a huge chunk of damage on one enemy? Probably downing them in 1st or 2nd turn with boosts. Good for taking out a boosted Rags before he can do anything. Then you have to build up the purple ap again, Right?

Rags can deal lots of little damage and get green matches/cascades to fuel green for someone else(GSBW) who can then hopefully end the game. Right? So a max rags builds up 10 red ap or something and then its unleash Thundercalp over and over until you have enough green for GSBW to end it all. Is that the general strategy to this guy?
  • the moose wrote:
    So Mags is good for a huge chunk of damage on one enemy? Probably downing them in 1st or 2nd turn with boosts. Good for taking out a boosted Rags before he can do anything. Then you have to build up the purple ap again, Right?

Rags can deal lots of little damage and get green matches/cascades to fuel green for someone else(GSBW) who can then hopefully end the game. Right? So a max rags builds up 10 red ap or something and then its unleash Thundercalp over and over until you have enough green for GSBW to end it all. Is that the general strategy to this guy?

The most you can hope for with MT (10 purple) is a second turn activation. You need to get a 4-of-a-kind for that even to happen assuming you're fully boosted.

Magneto is strong, but not broken. Killing in one shot in the first turn is way too powerful and breaks the game.

Ideally you stunlock the opponent with a high level Spiderman (I do not have one) as you gather purple tiles.
  • The most you can hope for with MT (10 purple) is a second turn activation. You need to get a 4-of-a-kind for that even to happen assuming you're fully boosted.

Magneto is strong, but not broken. Killing in one shot in the first turn is way too powerful and breaks the game.

Ideally you stunlock the opponent with a high level Spiderman (I do not have one) as you gather purple tiles.

Good thing you couldn't use blue to create 4 and 5 matches, scooping up purple in the process...

I've said too much.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    The most you can hope for with MT (10 purple) is a second turn activation. You need to get a 4-of-a-kind for that even to happen assuming you're fully boosted.

Good thing you couldn't use blue to create 4 and 5 matches, scooping up purple in the process...

I've said too much.

I'll see this when I get more blue covers (currently at 2/3/5).
  • Question: What is my best shot at getting a purple Mag cover? Lightning rounds? Or Lightning Round Cover Pack? Other than lightning rounds - he is only in the heroic covers, right?

Thanks for all the help!
  • Question: What is my best shot at getting a purple Mag cover? Lightning rounds? Or Lightning Round Cover Pack? Other than lightning rounds - he is only in the heroic covers, right?

Thanks for all the help!

He's in the standard covers too. But best chance is a top 25 finish in Mags' LR. After that a Diabolical token (won or bought), heroic, and finally standard.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Question: What is my best shot at getting a purple Mag cover? Lightning rounds? Or Lightning Round Cover Pack? Other than lightning rounds - he is only in the heroic covers, right?

Thanks for all the help!

He's in the standard covers too. But best chance is a top 25 finish in Mags' LR. After that a Diabolical token (won or bought), heroic, and finally standard.

Goodness you are fast! Thanks so much. I have mad respect for the mighty Zathrus. Sorry if I have attacked you in matchmaking...

Thanks for all the help!

I've had good luck playing ALL the lightning rounds just shooting for the diaboical token. Mine is 1/1/2 right now.
  • I've gotten 2 from just standard tokens. So the formula for that is patience and beating the odds. But if you can't hit top scores in Mag lightning rounds, play the Loki and Hood rounds and aim for the diabolical token. They are much less contested than the other 3 rounds. You have decent odds of getting Rag or Mags, which will help you compete in the tournament for real eventually. Slow process but in the last week ive tried this with only a 2-3 rounds a week and my rag is now 2/2 (from 0/0)

Thanks for all the help!

I've had good luck playing ALL the lightning rounds just shooting for the diaboical token. Mine is 1/1/2 right now.

Very nice. I will start playing more lightning rounds seriously from now on. Most of the time I just play to get a few rewards but expect to place at the bottom.
  • the moose wrote:
    I've gotten 2 from just standard tokens. So the formula for that is patience and beating the odds. But if you can't hit top scores in Mag lightning rounds, play the Loki and Hood rounds and aim for the diabolical token. They are much less contested than the other 3 rounds. You have decent odds of getting Rag or Mags, which will help you compete in the tournament for real eventually. Slow process but in the last week ive tried this with only a 2-3 rounds a week and my rag is now 2/2 (from 0/0)

Ah... Patience... Not my strong suit. However beating the odds is definitely in my genes. Thanks for the advice. You can expect me to be tearing up those lightning rounds icon_e_smile.gif