'Choose your path' - PVE suggestion

h4n1s
h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2014 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I was thinking about some new interesting PVE approach which would fit the standards this game is using.

So here comes an idea (which is a bit inspired by Deadpool event)

Name:
Good vs. Evil (or something similar)

Duration:
5 days, contains 2 sub events (2x 60 hours)

Board:
Each sub-event contains board of 6 x 5 chained nodes (30 nodes all together); 4 chains of nodes have featured boosted team up character (2x 2*; 2x 3*) - player may not have this character in roster, he can use the featured as we know from PVP; the rest two chains of nodes have boosted essential character (1 x 2*, 1x 3*) - player must have a specific character to be able to play that node. Characters are boosted ONLY within their chains of nodes, other characters are not boosted. First node in every chain is available from the beginning, other nodes become available only if previous node is completed. There is no community scalling nor rubber banding for this PVE. Each node has fixed amount of max points which have the refresh cycle of 2 hours.

Example of board layout:

Featuring boosted 2* OBW = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)
Featuring boosted 2*MStorm = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)
Featuring boosted 3* LThor = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)
Featuring boosted 3* Patch = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)
Essential boosted 2* Johnny = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)
Essential boosted 3* Beast = (1. node, trivial 500 pts) --> (2. node, easy 600 pts) --> (3. node, normal 700 pts) --> (4. node, hard 800 pts) --> (5. node, deadly 1000 pts)

Opponents and allowed heroes:
For 1st sub-event where good fights evil, only allowed characters for player are those which are considered as heroes. Boosted are characters used a featured or essential ONLY within their related nodes/chains. Opponents are only those characters considered as villains. Every node considered as 1st has same opponents; Every node considered as 2nd same opponents, as so on - the idea is to do the same story line with different main character, to practice different strategies.
For 2nd sub-event is the logic reverse - evil fights good.

I am putting this in General discussion forum as I would like to ask the community for brainstorming, sharing ideas to enhance this model.

I will place it to suggestions in case this Topic gains +20 reputation points and there will be some level consensus among the community within this topic.

(this topic is not intended to host a flame war of some sort - if you don't wish to contribute in a constructive manner, please do not contribute at all and ignore this topic - thanks)

Comments

• im not sure about the exact format, but over all I would love the idea of choosing a path to become good or evil. And depending on which side your on, your heroes or villains alike will be buffed to an amount... that would be very interesting to play. then they can start releasing PvP where it is good vs evil and the winning group (entirely) gets certain rewards.

you can also allow people to sit neutral and this they will have semi-buffed of all characters. but any one sided-ness will give you the most advantage and certain rewards can only be attained if you are committed fully to one side.
  • h4n1s
    silverrex wrote:
    im not sure about the exact format, but over all I would love the idea of choosing a path to become good or evil. And depending on which side your on, your heroes or villains alike will be buffed to an amount... that would be very interesting to play. then they can start releasing PvP where it is good vs evil and the winning group (entirely) gets certain rewards.

you can also allow people to sit neutral and this they will have semi-buffed of all characters. but any one sided-ness will give you the most advantage and certain rewards can only be attained if you are committed fully to one side.

I like the idea! To incorporate something like this in the suggested PVE model I can imagine the length of the PVE to be equal to length of sub-event enabling you to enter just one of the sub events in the beginning, disabling you to change your mind until the end of PVE. Good idea of the splitting the awards based on the total scores - lets say sum of top 1000 good and sum of top 1000 evil. Who wins the fight gets better rewards icon_e_smile.gif
  • h4n1s wrote:
    silverrex wrote:
    im not sure about the exact format, but over all I would love the idea of choosing a path to become good or evil. And depending on which side your on, your heroes or villains alike will be buffed to an amount... that would be very interesting to play. then they can start releasing PvP where it is good vs evil and the winning group (entirely) gets certain rewards.

I like the idea! To incorporate something like this in the suggested PVE model I can imagine the length of the PVE to be equal to length of sub-event enabling you to enter just one of the sub events in the beginning, disabling you to change your mind until the end of PVE. Good idea of the splitting the awards based on the total scores - lets say sum of top 1000 good and sum of top 1000 evil. Who wins the fight gets better rewards icon_e_smile.gif

that would be a mass PvP mode instead which isnt bad. I also want to see some sort of mass raid event where either you enter as an alliance or as a group of say 200 players and try to take down 1 massive boss (Thanos)? or a feature villain or hero with massive health like 100k. Each time you attack it, the hp will go down and remain down until it dies. This would open up a new definition of team vs AI. So for the first time one can look forward having elite players with max roster on your side instead of feeling deflated.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of set points but a 2 hour refresh time is making things really grindy. The change that I would make is let each node be played 5 times and then it locks. 1 trivial, 2 easy, 3 normal, 4 hard, 5 deadly. If you are able to complete all in Deadly you get a special progression prize. Since the difficulty is based on player levels it would make things easy and people who want to grind as fast as they want can and people who want to take a 6 hour break can.

It would make it easier to set progression rewards so you are competeing against yourself and time compared to the community. If you complete all trivials you get 1k ISO. Easy 50 HP, Normal recruit token, Hard 3* cover Deadly 3* cover+50 HP.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Would be interesting to have some nodes/chains closed off depending on the previous nodes you have chosen to fight. Kind of the opposite of like how in some existing PvEs there are nodes that require you to have defeated someone more than X number of times first. That is, there will instead be nodes that require defeating someone less than X number of times.

For example, one chain would be you choosing to pursue Juggernaut, and an alternate chain would be investigating Daken. If you fight Juggernaut, Daken gets away. The reward at the end of each chain can be different, though hopefully knowable in advance of choosing. So you could fight for 2000 iso vs a Hulk cover, for instance. Or maybe choose between two different covers.

Then when the event is re-run, you still have something new to look forward to.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah... no rubberbanding and no scaling is going to lead to this just being an extremely grindy event. The last time we had no rubberbanding (Heroic Oscorp back in the day) resulted in what everyone called the worst PvE event in the history of the game, although that one had a slew more issues associated with it. There also seems to be some conflicting things going on here: on one hand you want this to be a practice ground for strategies for a bunch of heroes, but on the other hand, restricting the enemies to either heroes or villains makes it so that you won't be able to set up all the potential matchups where the characters are good (you can't go Doom vs Daken for instance, since Doom is theoretically a very good counter to Daken). The concept of Good v Evil sounds fine, but this event doesn't bring enough new stuff to the table to really make me excited as a player, as there isn't anything terribly new between this event and the ones we've been seeing. I'd like to see the inclusion of some new ideas associated with the theme, since otherwise it's more of the same.
  • h4n1s
    wymtime wrote:
    I like the idea of set points but a 2 hour refresh time is making things really grindy. The change that I would make is let each node be played 5 times and then it locks. 1 trivial, 2 easy, 3 normal, 4 hard, 5 deadly. If you are able to complete all in Deadly you get a special progression prize. Since the difficulty is based on player levels it would make things easy and people who want to grind as fast as they want can and people who want to take a 6 hour break can.

I like the idea of amount of max attempts - but won't we then have top players residing on the same scores at the end? Maybe I didn't get it right - do you want to let's say re-open those nodes after certain period of time (like 4-6 hours after completion)? That might still limit the grinding part of the story, but enable more diverse result