4* Match Damage Is Bogus

Options
Unknown
edited September 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
My level 270 X Force which cost multiple 100s of thousands of ISO to max does THREE more match damage than my 166 characters that are 104 levels and hundreds of thousands of ISO cheaper.

That is stupid and dumb.

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Which with math is 9 or more. These guys need to be super strong not insane. If they did vastly more damage than the 3*'s they game would be so skewed to P2P it wouldn't be fun. They have massively powerful skills well except Invisible Woman, she's got potential just needs a few more tweaks and they have a lot more hitpoints then their 3* Counterpart. Look at X-Force, he has 4160 more hitpoints than Patch. They are 4* because of their abilties and hit points not their match damage.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    79,70,61,13,12,11 -- Current 3* tile damages.
    82,73,64,11,10,09 -- Current 4* tile damages.

When you're using a 4*, you're theoretically using them for reasons other than their match damage. If the tile damages are set too high, then they'll be tanking for everyone.

However, it turns out that they are heavily dominated by most 3* characters with their current scores. They should be on at least an even footing with 3* characters. I tried 82,73,64,13,12,11, and that had undesirable results in the domination graphs. Too much of an edge.

82,73,64,12,11,10 -- Proposed 4* tile damages.

This is item 4 in the grand plan I suggested.

EDIT
    82,73,64,14,12,10 -- Slightly better
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    For comparison:

Max 1*: 31/27/24/8/7/7
    Max 2*: 55/49/43/11/10/9, an improvement of ~80% for primary colors and ~30-40% for off-colors.
    Max 3*: 79/70/61/13/12/11, an improvement of ~42% for primary colors and 20% for for off-colors.
    Max 4*: 82/73/64/11/10/9, an improvement of ~4% for primary colors and negative 17% for off-colors

So that's...weird.

Also weird is how 4* ability damages scale. For example, I have a level 250 X-Force that does 3388 damage on green. Max damage is 3441, a difference of 53 damage, or 1.5%. For yellow, mine heals for 9748 damage, 96% of his total health. At level 270, he heals for 9989, which is just an 2.4% improvement, and is actually a smaller percentage of his total health, at 91%. However, these last twenty levels will cost me 79013 ISO, which is 18% of the total cost and half of what it would cost to level a 3* to max.

I appreciate that we don't want 4*s to be so powerful that they're pay to win, but it's really hard to see why investing this 80k ISO (or, for that matter, the 80k or so before that) is a good idea. If Demiurge wants us to max out all our characters, there should be at least some non-trivial value there.
  • Man, this has got to be the MPQ equivalent of "first world problems."
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm just glad Daken tanks black for X-Force.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    I'm just glad Daken tanks black for X-Force.
    I miss my only minorly under-leveled Laken being able to let OBW take purples, back before the level shifts
  • 79,70,61,13,12,11 -- Current 3* tile damages.
    82,73,64,11,10,09 -- Current 4* tile damages.

When you're using a 4*, you're theoretically using them for reasons other than their match damage. If the tile damages are set too high, then they'll be tanking for everyone.

However, it turns out that they are heavily dominated by most 3* characters with their current scores. They should be on at least an even footing with 3* characters. I tried 82,73,64,13,12,11, and that had undesirable results in the domination graphs. Too much of an edge.

82,73,64,12,11,10 -- Proposed 4* tile damages.

This is item 4 in the grand plan I suggested.

EDIT
    82,73,64,14,12,10 -- Slightly better

This is the same problem I have with the Balance of Power PVP. The 1* and 2* match damage is more than 3* and 4*. I really do not see why something as simple as match damage cannot be rectified. That said, with as much as Fury and X-Force tank...it might not be all bad that their match damage (especially in their weakest three colors) are not stronger.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Which with math is 9 or more. These guys need to be super strong not insane. If they did vastly more damage than the 3*'s they game would be so skewed to P2P it wouldn't be fun. They have massively powerful skills well except Invisible Woman, she's got potential just needs a few more tweaks and they have a lot more hitpoints then their 3* Counterpart. Look at X-Force, he has 4160 more hitpoints than Patch. They are 4* because of their abilties and hit points not their match damage.

in that sense then Sentry with his offensive threat and hp should be a 4*
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also weird is how 4* ability damages scale. For example, I have a level 250 X-Force that does 3388 damage on green. Max damage is 3441, a difference of 53 damage, or 1.5%. For yellow, mine heals for 9748 damage, 96% of his total health. At level 270, he heals for 9989, which is just an 2.4% improvement, and is actually a smaller percentage of his total health, at 91%. However, these last twenty levels will cost me 79013 ISO, which is 18% of the total cost and half of what it would cost to level a 3* to max.
    Thank you for this. I have a fully covered X-Force sitting at level 70 and 385K ISO in the bank. I was waiting on the last 45K ISO to bring him up to level 270 at once because I didn't feel like holding down the RAISE LEVEL button for 20 minutes. Now I might just bite the bullet and manually raise him to 250 or so to avoid completely wasting precious ISO.
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If they did vastly more damage than the 3*'s they game would be so skewed to P2P it wouldn't be fun.

And Its damn close already.

Heh
  • The 4* have about 50% of their ability damage at level 70 compared to level 270 so they don't get much from leveling.

I probably shouldn't be saying this, but having X Force at level 270 is very bad in mirror matches because he'd always have highest match damage if you don't have another 4* maxed or a featured character higher than him, and green is probably the worst color for your strongest match in a mirror match, so you'd want to keep X Force's green match strength lower than a level 166 guy, since it'd likely be cost prohibitive to raise every 3* to about level 110 or so to ensure someone else gets the the highest strength match. Can this game stop making mechanism where having characters at the highest level possible somehow creates a liability?
  • john1620b
    Options
    This is exactly the reason I posted this topic, to try and figure out the highest level you can make a 4* without having them tank all their colors:

When do 4* characters overtake 3* ones in match damage?