Game moving in the right direction...

Options
2»

Comments

• orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Aebramz wrote:

I think that Beast was one of the most well thought out characters they've released in awhile. While he's not the most powerful, I love the interactions that they built into him as it adds a nice "combo" system into his kit.

Just give him something cooler than a heal and he's set.

So, you agree with me.

Cool in concept. Poor in execution.

Just think, he has two abilities that add special tiles to the board, one built exclusively around that power, and one that destroys random tiles if there are blue friendly special tiles on the board. His one attack is the weakest of all the Green damaging attacks in 3* land and works against the rest of his mechanic.

How is that well thought out? He can undo the work of his primary power with another.

And that is without even discussing the issue with countdown timers or edge placement or the fact that they bothered to give him a heal.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I try to be concise when I'm typing things out on my iPad. Anyway, I fully acknowledge that cMags was broken, and the "maybe" was a possible suggestion for his changed form, as opposed to the wholesale change we got. Also agree that he trivialized pve, although scaling has been reigned in some lately it seems, so that might have been a contributing factor as well, since huge health opps scaled to 400 are still super tedious to take down even with mags. As for the health pack thing, I probably should focus more on the "roster diversity" aspect of running out of health packs, and not the "buy health packs" part. Sure, no one buys health packs and d3 knows this and isn't trying to force people to buy them. But that doesn't mean they aren't trying to make people take more damage per fight, after all, THAT'S EXACTLY WHY THERE'S SCALING IN PVE. Also look at changing daken's green match damage to blue. It's not in line with what you want to do since it will stop him from healing, but it keeps daken from tanking for the heavy hitting green guy you brought along to take advantage of collecting all that green ap. You can buy their line that they want people's powers and match damage colors to line up (and I'm not trying to say that's not part or maybe even most of it), but it'd be naive to think that the damage thing is not at least a small motivating factor.
    Edit: didn't quite finish my thought here. The point is that d3 is wanting to force us to take more damage because that forces people to either diversify their roster or stop playing for a while (or buy health packs, but we've already established that's not the goal because people won't do that for the most part). So if they want people to use more characters they need them all to take more damage so you're forced to rotate through, or else you could just run your A team every fight and have no need for anyone else.

Forgot so I'll add it here before posting, the comments about annoying to play against aren't the tried and true "sucks on defense so he's balanced" you've seen before (I also find those comments annoying and wrong). It was merely commenting that I could understand the bigger changes they did if he were more annoying as an opponent to the point where people were complaining about facing him.

Now I'm not saying I totally dislike the changes. Agree with those saying cMags is now a pretty balanced mid-tier guy, and daken's power level has come down some by weakening the strike tiles and having him tank weaker colors. I just wish there was a top tier pvp combo that wasn't just autopilot and had a little skill involved like cMags blue was before. I suppose the game is probably better off than it was before, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been better and still retained more of the fun that was there before (and I don't mean fun=win=broken).
  • Sacrifice + WR just doesn't work very well in PvE because unlike their PvP counterparts, a lot of PvE teams have the equivalent of 'boosts' with their free AP generating minions that helps to fuel abilities that can either shake up the board, mitigate damage, or flat out kill Sentry. Also, PvE enemies have unfair levels at the high end of scaling that allows them to withstand damage from WR combos that PvP counterparts never get. When Devil Dino is on a high level, you're not even very sure if an accelerated WR can beat him to him getting 2 Prehistoric Bites on Sentry, and he also has the HP to withstand that attack. This also makes it less likely you'll use boosts at all, since unlike PvP you can't be certain using those boosts will even result in a victory, while in PvP there's virtually no doubt.

I think a lot of their design is good in theory but if you don't address issues like Sentry's ability to demolish everyone, or anyone who can regen always tanks better than anyone who cannot, or that boosts greatly skew the entire game, the underlying game is still going to be pretty messed up. For example Beast seems to be well designed and turns out to totally suck, but even if he didn't totally suck, it's hard to imagine why he'd have an impact against a dominant character like Sentry, or even the quasi indestructible regen tanks.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    orionpeace wrote:

His one attack is the weakest of all the Green damaging attacks in 3* land and works against the rest of his mechanic.

Actually, if you did the math, with a blue special out, his green does more damage per AP than Call of the Storm, even without considering the cascades from the destroyed tiles.

The problem, as everyone agrees, is getting that blue out. If the blue requirement was made easier, his green would actually be one of the best in the game.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sandmaker wrote:
    orionpeace wrote:

His one attack is the weakest of all the Green damaging attacks in 3* land and works against the rest of his mechanic.

Actually, if you did the math, with a blue special out, his green does more damage per AP than Call of the Storm, even without considering the cascades from the destroyed tiles.

The problem, as everyone agrees, is getting that blue out. If the blue requirement was made easier, his green would actually be one of the best in the game.

Fair point. But when calculating his AP/Damage ratio, I include the necessary cost of the Blue Power. And when you do that, his Green power comes off poorly.