2 day pvp event reward levels

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Since I first started playing this and looked at the rewards handed out during 2 day events I was always like wow how do you ever get to 1200 much less 1400 to claim some of the great rewards?

Well, the answer is you don't. Or at least you don't in the brackets I have been in.

The leaders at the end are always around 500-600 pts.

What these events become is just survival and hopes that people don't defeat you and take large chunks of points away, particularly in the last 20 minutes of a tourney.

Either the reward levels need to be scaled down to reasonable heights or the damage from attacks needs to be reduced. Or both.

Edit: I fixed the reward level numbers because I had them wrong.

Comments

• If you are talking about the progression rewards, I think they cap at 1400 usually right? 1400 is quite nearly impossible, I'll give you that. But 1100 is doable if you have a decent team. But don't wait until the end of a tournament to try to reach 1100. Do it earlier in the day on the last day of a weekend event. There are way less retaliations and therefore its much easier to climb the progression reward ladder. And use stockpile boosts so you can finish rounds as quicly as possible. I've been able to do it several times with my 85Thor/85Wolvie team. If your team is much weaker than that, keep grinding.
  • In an ELO rating system, if you're 400 points above someone that implies that guy only has a 10% chance of beating you. This is nonsense in MPQ where the attacker always have an overwhelming advantage. Therefore the prizes which requires you to be basically 400 points higher than anyone else cannot be obtained in a competitive environment. You're never so good that you only have 10% chance to lose (this would mean people attack you end up losing all 3 games over half of the time).

I think they need to change such that once rating points are no longer generated out of thin air, the reward tiers should be tied to amount of rating points gained above a certain threshold. Now that'd obviously make the rewards a lot easier to get, so they probably want to change the guaranteed 3 star covers to say 2 heroic tokens instead. Right now the only way to get those score is simply play a lot and hope nobody attacked you during that time and I'm imagine from the game developer point of view, that's not what you want to encourage anyway, as the only way that's possible is people aren't playing your game very often so that a player can attempt to sneak up there.
  • Yep. that is what I am talking about.

Ok caps at 1400. But yeah, it still holds that the progressions are tough to hit the peak of.

I will try your tip, thanks very much for that suggestion.
  • The best I did aquire so far was 900. I was happy to get all the **Widows from the ***tourney as the final score were about 400 in my bracket. I need to time my entry for the Avengers tourney perfectly so I may be able to hit a spidey as mine is still sitting at 1/1/4 and therefore not of much use.
    1400 is not doable. But I already asked for numbers on the progression rewards, I would really like to know more statistics.
  • The only way to get a high rating reward is being the only person who tries to sneak ahead. If everyone tried that, this strategy would no longer work (you'd be brought down by other guys trying to sneak their way to top as well). The maximum rating you can get in a competitive environment is basically the top score of the 3 star rumble + the threshold where points are no longer being generated in thin air. In the 3 star round that number appears to be 0, but it's certainly not higher 600 for the other tournaments, so getting even 1100 is out of question in a competitve enviornment.

And this is a really bad thing from the game developer point of view. You're basically saying in order to get the best prizes you have to hope most people aren't playing your game (only way to get points is when no one is attacking you, which implies not many people are playing the game). I just can't see that possibly be good for the long term health of the game, and yet if everyone is actively playing the game, you'd end up having every tournament looking like the 3 star rumble where you'd be lucky to have someone hitting 800 rating points.
  • Yes. when I started playing and my team was weaker I got extremely frustrated in these events because I would be shooting for just the 100 pt reward and have people attacking me when I was at 93 pts and knocking me down 20 and 30 pts at a time. It was just a brutal struggle to reach 100 at times.

Got me so pissed I emailed out of the App (iPad) and wrote could you please reduce the damage points from attacks? The next few events when I was attacked I would only lose 1-4 pts per attack. This seemed way more reasonable.

Then last night in that 3 star heroes thing I lost about 90 pts with 2 attacks in the last 8 minutes. I scrambled to gain back about 50 in 3 battles and was able to only lose about 40 rankings spots at the end. I stayed in my reward zone so it didn't piss me off but if I didn't regain that 50 I can surely see where if someone lost a bunch of points near the end they would be unhappy.

What is the logic behind what an attack is worth and what attacking you is worth? I see some very easy teams (tanking obviously) to battle for 34 points and I see some no way I would attack you ever teams for only 9 pts.

It's just so random.

I'd be curious to see what would happen in a tourney where attacks on your team took no points from your score.

Call it the Sunshine Superhero Tourney. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Right now the only way to get those score is simply play a lot and hope nobody attacked you during that time and I'm imagine from the game developer point of view, that's not what you want to encourage anyway, as the only way that's possible is people aren't playing your game very often so that a player can attempt to sneak up there.

Actually there is a great sweet spot to catch the 1100 progression award in the weekly tourneys. As soon as the Lightning rounds go up for the first 30 minutes of each of those most of the active players are focused on those. I ignore the chance for a quick 1KIso and a cover and go all out for the progression award. By the time the Lightning rounds start the entire bracket is usually sitting around 600-700. I save any high value retaliations and skip for every opponent around 20-30. I've done this consistently over the past three weeks. Now when everyone sees me after they are done with the lightning rounds I'll lose points galore but I haven't missed an 1100 progression in awhile. If the bracket would get itself up to 800-900 and I could start from there I think I could get the 1200 but I never have achieved that even the one time I started from 750. Weekend tourneys are different there seems to be much more competition for the prizes and not much to distract other players from retaliations.
  • a couple ppl have hit 1400 once in the tourneys, from what they've posted. i got 1300 maxed
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    The only way to get a high rating reward is being the only person who tries to sneak ahead. If everyone tried that, this strategy would no longer work (you'd be brought down by other guys trying to sneak their way to top as well). The maximum rating you can get in a competitive environment is basically the top score of the 3 star rumble + the threshold where points are no longer being generated in thin air. In the 3 star round that number appears to be 0, but it's certainly not higher 600 for the other tournaments, so getting even 1100 is out of question in a competitve enviornment.

And this is a really bad thing from the game developer point of view. You're basically saying in order to get the best prizes you have to hope most people aren't playing your game (only way to get points is when no one is attacking you, which implies not many people are playing the game). I just can't see that possibly be good for the long term health of the game, and yet if everyone is actively playing the game, you'd end up having every tournament looking like the 3 star rumble where you'd be lucky to have someone hitting 800 rating points.
    You don't actually stay at the 1k+ point range, you just peak out there for the progression reward, and then get retaliated down to like 700 or so when everyone sees how many points you have
  • forgrim wrote:
    a couple ppl have hit 1400 once in the tourneys, from what they've posted. i got 1300 maxed

Polkio hit 1400 in one bracket I was paired up with him. I'm same as you, best I have done is 1300.

Is easier for Euros in my opinion to get the higher tallies, as there is less activity over here in the morning/early afternoon, when the US peeps are in bed icon_e_smile.gif
  • Yea, I usually only play in 'prime time' hours, so the best I have ever done is 1100. Even that was a such a struggle that it took me 3 hours of continous playing to even maintain enough momentum to reach it.

I was so annoyed by the process that I don't even try it anymore. It helps that they completely took away the 500 HP tier, so there is no incentive.
  • All the strategy of hitting the high rating involves finding a time nobody else is playing, because there's no way your rating will last against retaliations once you shoot up there. I think that's just a very bad design. You shouldn't have to hope people are not playing the game to get your reward. You're saying the best rewards are only given out if people aren't playing this game (besides you) and that's just the wrong kind of behavior to encourage.

The higher tier rewards should be turned into more grind like. For example, you could say you need to win 10 games against guys rated higher than the lower of (top 10 of your bracket) or (some predetermined value) for the 800 point prize, and then 20 games for the 900 point prize and so on. They can change the guaranteed 3 star covers to a heroic token if they feel this makes it too easy. Note that none of the strategy would ever work if the game becomes more popular, because if everyone is trying the same strategy then nobody would jump out ahead as you'd just bring each other down.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    forgrim wrote:
    a couple ppl have hit 1400 once in the tourneys, from what they've posted. i got 1300 maxed

Polkio hit 1400 in one bracket I was paired up with him. I'm same as you, best I have done is 1300.

Is easier for Euros in my opinion to get the higher tallies, as there is less activity over here in the morning/early afternoon, when the US peeps are in bed icon_e_smile.gif

I hit 1400 but only in one type of tournament, dark avengers with max rag , bull and daken. And noone dare to attack such team bcos (I think) noone else who has been pared with me has got something similar in arsenal. In other types of tournament it is very hard to get to 1400 mark. I agree with Ladder. There is really less activity in morning euro time. America sleeping so most players are inactive in this time.

And also it will be easier in future, more people are playing , more people will have better teams so they will advance more so more points in ranking for everybody...