Love the update --- how can I help support MPQ without P2W

GuntherBlobel
GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
edited September 2014 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
Before I begin, some people will find this topic silly, but I'm being serious. I like MPQ, I want to support it, but I'm not spending the HP I already have, mainly because I'm not interested in the current P2W options. I'm on day 284 and spent $60 on it. I have not purchased another single game in that entire timespan. I've never spent less on gaming.

I know some of you disagree, but I think this last update was the best in MPQ history. I think they are on a roll and I hope it continues.

Here's the problem, I don't want to lose interest in the game by buying stuff that I would otherwise play to earn.

I'm still going to tip a few bucks, but I know the HP is going to sit in my account until something fun, but not P2W is introduced. If my favorite character ever is released, maybe I'll buy an ability upgrade or two, but I think that is kind of unlikely.

Please devs, give us more ways to enjoy the game. I'm willing to pay (a reasonable price) for it.

Comments

• This game needs some kind of cosmetic or extra campaigns or something that doesn't necessarily make you super powerful but you can spend money either because you like those things or at least show your appreciation. I remember a guy doing a presentation on piracy and one of his point is that if Bill Gates can get something for free trivially (and knows other guys can too), he's probably not going to be paying you for your product because even though money is no object to him, nobody likes being a sucker and you sure would feel like one if you're paying money for something everyone else got for free. This is my problem with the game's model. If you like this game and know how to get around it then you'd know how to get almost everything for free, and just because you're a good guy doesn't mean you like being a sucker for paying for stuff on purpose that you can legitmately get for free.
  • You can recommend the game to people potentially interested, that counts as support too.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    You can recommend the game to people potentially interested, that counts as support too.
    I might do that, actually. That seems like an obvious solution, but I've gone a long time without recommending the game to anyone except my immediate family, purposely.

A while ago, the Forum polled whether we would recommend MPQ to others. I said "no" at that time, even though I enjoyed the game, because I worried that my friends would regret some bad purchase they made and have me to blame. Despite MPQ's longstanding reputation problems, I feel like they are seriously trying to reverse course.

I'm about ready to change my tune and recommend the game to friends. I would have no doubts about recommending MPQ if HP could unlock fun and affordable features like Phanton suggests.

In the meantime, I bought a Bugle Pittance icon_razz.gif. I figure every little bit helps.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    You can recommend the game to people potentially interested, that counts as support too.

I've spent zero on this (day 200). But the people I got to play have paid at least a few hundred. I'm in the clear?
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with Phantron about the cosmetic purchases.

I would be interested in cosmetic-only purchases aside from HP to expand my roster (which is the only thing I use it for).

I'm reminded of Dissidia for the PSP where I could buy outfits for my characters if I wanted to or buy soundtracks. Though the outfits and songs were cool, they wouldn't affect my gameplay at all and that was what really drew me in and kept me in.

Then again, I'm not much of a 'consumables' sort of player; I like buying things that are more 'permanent' hence, my purchase of Roster Slots.
  • I doubt one can have enough roster slots for all the characters without paying for them. When I started, it really bothered me that I had to sell some of my shiny new covers (one of them, as I recall, was Bullseye icon_lol.gif ), so I bought some roster slots. I also bought cover packs back then (remember the times when there were guaranteed covers?). Now it's mostly shields I have to invest in. I get some hp back from placement rewards and stuff, but I do have to occasionall throw in a few bucks to stay competitive. As long as the game is fun for me, I'm fine with that.
  • Rico Dredd wrote:
    I doubt one can have enough roster slots for all the characters without paying for them. When I started, it really bothered me that I had to sell some of my shiny new covers (one of them, as I recall, was Bullseye icon_lol.gif ), so I bought some roster slots. I also bought cover packs back then (remember the times when there were guaranteed covers?). Now it's mostly shields I have to invest in. I get some hp back from placement rewards and stuff, but I do have to occasionall throw in a few bucks to stay competitive. As long as the game is fun for me, I'm fine with that.

I haven't spent anything on this game and I have 41 slots. I can easily get more if I used HP to expand roster instead of upgrading Nick Fury and a whole mess of other characters. At any rate you don't need to every 2* out there or even 3* to be competitive, and if you're competitive you'll probably have a lot of HP to work with for that kind of stuff. Roster expansion is closer to cosemetic/luxury once you get above 20 because there's no way you'll need that many characters, and while that's a valid expense, there should be other options. You can basically view the whole 'pile up large scores in PvP' as some kind of cosmetic event, since if you're piling up score in the 1000+ range you're not hurting for covers and even if you are, getting yet another Loki cover sure isn't going to help you there. But what if you're not into PvP?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most "cosmetic" changes are rendered pretty useless, since that's kind of what the different level variances to each character are. I mean, they could offer costumes they wouldn't imagine adding to the game's roster, but I just feel like it's redundant. That being said, pajama Deadpool would be an amusing skin, and a lot of games offer seasonal (seasons, holidays, etc) or other themed skins (sports themes, etc) for different characters throughout the year, so I guess that could work, but for MPQ, they'd need permission to do that, and I feel like that's going to be difficult.