If R60 timing is unknown, don't make it forced

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
From the Upcoming Patch Review. This was slightly modified by the Timing update.
IceIX wrote:
PLEASE NOTE: We are planning on making R60 a required update immediately after release so that all players are utilizing the same updated character roster. The current ETA for the patch is unknown until it is approved by first parties, but we are anticipating the patch to go Live no later than 9/5.

MPQ is a huge app that pretty much requires wifi and which can wreck havoc on a phone's data plan. If D3 has no idea whatsoever for when the update will come out, then they should not demand an instant update when they do have it available. Plenty of unbalanced updates have been released in the past without being forced. Examples:

1. Patch getting double strike tiles, all beneficial.
2. All opponents fighting at base level.
3. Changes to Spiderman, Ragnarok, Storm
4. Team Ups and True Healing

Forcing an update with an unclear timeframe is unfair.

Comments

• Fair or not I am tired of waiting on this one, don't try to make them waver from their currently planned deployment or it will take another week icon_e_wink.gif
  • I agree completely. I have always thought that a 12 hour update window was fair, but in all honesty, as long as the update comes soon (i.e. before any events are close to closing), I can live being without the game for a few hours.

That said, if they wait till Wednesday morning, I can't wait to have that conversation with my boss.

"Hey, I need to drive home, download an update for a phone game, and will be gone for 30 minutes. It's because a PvP ends in 2 hours and a PvE ends in 13 and I can't wait 8 more hours to get home to do it." That should go over well
  • PVE scaling is going up in Hard Mode. Just saying opponents at base level would not be all bad icon_e_wink.gif

At this point, I do not understand why they do not wait until the season is over and there are no PVE's going on as well. This seems like the best time for such a big change. I would also like to see them schedule character or feature (true healing, TUP's, etc.) changes for the break in between seasons.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PVE scaling is going up in Hard Mode. Just saying opponents at base level would not be all bad icon_e_wink.gif

At this point, I do not understand why they do not wait until the season is over and there are no PVE's going on as well. This seems like the best time for such a big change. I would also like to see them schedule character or feature (true healing, TUP's, etc.) changes for the break in between seasons.

Once you get a patch approved by apple et al are you able to 'sit on' it to wait to actually release it?
  • At this juncture I'm looking at between events for the release hopefully. Here's hoping they don't screw up the timing [again] on a forced update.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At this point I would just like an update ON the actual update..... What exactly is the holdup? We deserve honest communication. Even if it's bad new I respect honesty.

Also, maybe it's not a great idea to build-up and tease something that hasn't been approved and isn't even ready for release yet. I mean this is arguably one of the bigger updates ever and also the legendary Cmags execution......oops I mean "NERF".

To have one your favorite characters waiting on death row like this is kind of a **** feeling and I'm definitely having flashbacks to poor spidey.

So let's get it over with already. And agreed with nonce it shouldn't be forced at this point as it could be highly disruptive to us.
  • I'd argue that not forcing it gives an unfair advantage to players who don't update. Having some of your player base with 'old' CMags and Laken and some of your player base with 'nerfed' CMags and Laken creates serious differences in ability to compete for prizes.

If they're going to force an update then at least try to avoid doing it in the last 12 hours of the PvE, or last 8 hours of PvP.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I'd argue that not forcing it gives an unfair advantage to players who don't update. Having some of your player base with 'old' CMags and Laken and some of your player base with 'nerfed' CMags and Laken creates serious differences in ability to compete for prizes.
    Yeah that.

I'm not going to have a choice either way - thanks, Steam! - so I'm going to be at a severe disadvantage if this isn't forced on everybody.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    I think releasing it at the end of the season would be the best option at this point, even if it's ready sooner. Forcing people who relied on characters that are getting nerfed to scramble for new teams during the last 5 days of the season is kind of ridiculous.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes, but for those who don't have them, or who don't have them optimized, or who need the balance to have a shot near season's end, it makes just as much sense to deploy it. I for one would like to finally be able to use X-Force without watching him embarrass himself.
  • I've been casting replacements for Magneto for precisely that reason - the fear that it will come in the middle of some event. icon_e_smile.gif
  • It came in the middle of some event.
  • Surely the best time for this updat will be between seasons, if it's not ready now just wait until a fair time for everyone.
    Patch and Cmags have put in a lot of work for a lot of people and waiting till the end of season 4 seems sensible.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    At this juncture I'm looking at between events for the release hopefully. Here's hoping they don't screw up the timing [again] on a forced update.

Well so much for that. With 1 day left in the event, really? After being delayed 4 days you couldn't hold onto the patch for 24 hours?
  • Timing is one thing.. but:

"Your device isn't compatible with this version" (Android, Motorola Defy+)

I was 28 in PvE (hope for almost 2 Thor *** cards) and almost have Deadpool card in PVP and now what?
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Neksio wrote:
    Timing is one thing.. but:

I was 28 in PvE (hope for almost 2 Thor *** cards) and almost have Deadpool card in PVP and now what?

Ouch. This would be a case if you had spent money to be able to get a refund. Or send in a ticket and hope they can get it fixed.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was just bent over and forced to take it....the R60 update that is.
  • dragma wrote:
    Neksio wrote:
    Timing is one thing.. but:

Ouch. This would be a case if you had spent money to be able to get a refund. Or send in a ticket and hope they can get it fixed.

I hadn't spent any money.. just neverending grind ; ) Maybe I get my life back ; )
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You'd think they could've added She-Hulk and Captain Marvel to tokens while they were at it. All these tokens are burning a hole in my virtual pocket