Forum Lingo

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
I have to admit being a internet forum noobie (MPQ forum is the only one I'm currently on...).
...full disclosure: I don't even use the internet that much otherwise... icon_redface.gif

So, in the interest of people like me (if they even exist nowadays), I'd like to compile a list of terms/abbreviations commonly used in this forum...
All y'all internet saavy people please help me fill in the blanks and/or correct (and add if you can think of anything else)...

RNG - Random Number Generator
F2P - Free to Play
MMR - ???
Tanking - the process of intentionally losing matches to influence future match difficulties
Tinykitty* - ??? (this is what actually inspired the thread... I see it so often. Tried to google, but only got pictures and videos of people's cats icon_lol.gif )

Characters:
GSW - Black Widow Grey Suit
IW - Invisible Woman
IM40, IM35 - Iron Man

Comments

• From what I've seen and deducted from what I've seen, the phrase 'Tinykitty' replaces curse words. icon_lol.gif
  • That's what I figured too. Weird. Is common internet jargon? Or just here? What a strange way to curse... icon_e_confused.gif
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    Just here. Interesting choice for a word filter by the admins...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Yep, we set that one. We had a brief brainstorm to see what we wanted to use for the filter. The end two were electricemu and tinykitty. Tinykitty won out since it "reads" better.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Yep, we set that one. We had a brief brainstorm to see what we wanted to use for the filter. The end two were electricemu and tinykitty. Tinykitty won out since it "reads" better.

I dunno, "HULK SMASH!" or "I say thee nay!" would have been tempting.
  • i woulda went with SNIKT BUB or BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA
  • Should of been "smacksself"
  • If I was a dj I would totally call myself ElectricEmu (E^2).

For your context tinykitty works better. I always thought it was funny that instead of saying a curse word the person brings up the image of a YouTube video or something. Reminds me of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. They swap out any curse words for the word "cuss.". I thought it was really cute and funny.
  • Ronfar
    Options
    I like "spoony".
  • IceIX
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:
    I like "spoony".
    Only when bards are involved. If not, it's just weird.
  • MMR is your match-making rating btw. Your performance determines the opposing players you will meet.
  • That explains a lot! Thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
    ...so does the forum automatically parse posted messages a substitute "tinykitty" whenever it encounters a "black-listed" word? Interesting... That would explain why I see it as a verb and noun! icon_lol.gif
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options

... Just have to see what it parses.
  • Ronfar
    Options
    Apparently "****" is okay to post. Other swears show up as "tinykitty" in the preview, so you can check that to see what else is forbidden.
  • More Lingo,

HP - Hero Points
    RB - rubberbanding - the effect of fighting someone much higher than you in rank during a pvp event and gaining more or less rank points
    R#* - example R41. As far as I understand it stands for Revision (edits and changes made to the game)
    Invisible Baglady - Invisible woman...joke due to her cover being unattractive
    Meta - Meta game or the strategy and tactics used in a game which transcend the prescribed ruleset. Um...Thor, C. Storm and a squishy hero was the last metagame prior Yellow Storm change. Now its probably GSBW, Rag and someone.

feel free to edit or add more.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rags - Ragnarok
    Mags - Magneto (which one do people generally mean? The classic Magneto or the.. err, other one?)

Ha! I didn't know that the tinykitty was the swear filter; I thought it was an exceptionally good player "downed again by a tinykitty juggernaut", "Lost yet another tinykitty match", etc. I wonder if there is a tinykitty UserID out there?
  • Puce Moose wrote:
    Mags - Magneto (which one do people generally mean? The classic Magneto or the.. err, other one?)

Generally the 3* Classic Magneto, at least if referring to Rags/Mags. The 2* one is really pretty decent, despite relying on countdown timers, but has never been the focus of a tournament (either as buffed character or prize).
  • Puce Moose wrote:
    Rags - Ragnarok

Ha! I didn't know that the tinykitty was the swear filter; I thought it was an exceptionally good player "downed again by a tinykitty juggernaut", "Lost yet another tinykitty match", etc. I wonder if there is a tinykitty UserID out there?

I would change my gameID to that in a heart beat
  • IceIX
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Just checked, there isn't.
  • We should have a tinykitty tournament. First prize gets their game I'd changed to tinykitty.