MPQ vs Chess Poll .....

Options
IamTheDanger
IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
This might seem like an odd thing to do a poll about, but trust me, I have a good reason. icon_e_wink.gif

Over the months that I've been playing MPQ, I have noticed something about the way chess players and non-chess players play this game. I have come up with a little theory about this, yet I do not have enough data to make an accurate observation. Which brings us to this poll.

I would like to see if there is a common thread among chess players. The ones that I have spoken to so far indicate that yes, there is a resemblance in play style. A couple didn't even realize that was what they were doing until I mentioned it.

So what I'm going to do is run this poll for 7 days. Then on the 8th day, I'll explain my theory and whether or not it works.

Part of it is, I've noticed that people who play chess, the greatest strategy game of all time, have developed some unusual combos. Like one I use against Sentry. I've used this little trick against high level or even max Sentry 43 times over the past few weeks. 34 of those times it worked perfectly. (when I get an idea for a new combo, I like to try it out around 50 times, and track how often it works). So I have 7 more matches to go for this trial, but at best it will work 41 out of 50, which is 82% success rate. So in 8 days I'll reveal a couple unusual combos, including a great way to counter Sentry that actually works, that few, if any, people have thought of.

So, vote, comment if you want, and check back in 8 days for something unexpected. icon_e_biggrin.gif

JJ

EDIT, ... changed from 11 days to 7.
2nd EDIT, ... added options to change votes and option, never played before.
3rd EDIT, ... screwed up royally. Forgot changing poll will erase previous votes, icon_e_confused.gif
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I assume the wooden box entry is the one to indicate you never play/played chess, right ?

Chess players actually succeed in other games like Magic the Gathering, because they can anticipate 2 or 3 turns in advance what is going to happen.

So your poll is indeed very relevant. Hope you'll reach your goal with it.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    I assume the wooden box entry is the one to indicate you never play/played chess, right ?

Chess players actually succeed in other games like Magic the Gathering, because they can anticipate 2 or 3 turns in advance what is going to happen.

It's a clever play on chess/chest.
  • IamTheDanger
    edited September 2014
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I assume the wooden box entry is the one to indicate you never play/played chess, right ?

Yes, the last one about chess being a wooden box is a way of saying that person has never played before. And so far, with only 4 out of 8 votes being chess players, it seems like my theory may be correct. But I'll have to wait for more results to know for sure.

P.S. I love MtG. I play it almost as much as MPQ. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I generally agree with the hypothesis that if you are a regular chess player you are conditioned to looking for multiple options and to think ahead a few moves. Acquiring and honing that skill makes you a better gamer no matter what you're playing.

Looking forward to seeing what your hypothesis is when you have all the poll data.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    This might seem like an odd thing to do a poll about, but trust me, I have a good reason. icon_e_wink.gif

Over the months that I've been playing MPQ, I have noticed something about the way chess players and non-chess players play this game. I have come up with a little theory about this, yet I do not have enough data to make an accurate observation. Which brings us to this poll.

I would like to see if there is a common thread among chess players. The ones that I have spoken to so far indicate that yes, there is a resemblance in play style. A couple didn't even realize that was what they were doing until I mentioned it.

So what I'm going to do is run this poll for 7 days. Then on the 8th day, I'll explain my theory and whether or not it works.

Part of it is, I've noticed that people who play chess, the greatest strategy game of all time, have developed some unusual combos. Like one I use against Sentry. I've used this little trick against high level or even max Sentry 43 times over the past few weeks. 34 of those times it worked perfectly. (when I get an idea for a new combo, I like to try it out around 50 times, and track how often it works). So I have 7 more matches to go for this trial, but at best it will work 41 out of 50, which is 82% success rate. So in 11 days I'll reveal a couple unusual combos, including a great way to counter Sentry that actually works, that few, if any, people have thought of.

So, vote, comment if you want, and check back in 8 days for something unexpected. icon_e_biggrin.gif

JJ

Nice theory!
    Judging by your roster, you might be using some combination of Hulk, Thor and classic Storm to reliably defeat Sentry teams? Because if it's MMN/cStorm Wind Storm combo, any combo with cMags, then I don't see how it's anti-Sentry-specific, while cStorm with 5 yellow covers like yours most definitely is.
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    If they ever release Bishop as a character, will he only move diagonally?
  • IamTheDanger
    Options
    locked wrote:

Part of it is, I've noticed that people who play chess, the greatest strategy game of all time, have developed some unusual combos. Like one I use against Sentry. I've used this little trick against high level or even max Sentry 43 times over the past few weeks. 34 of those times it worked perfectly. (when I get an idea for a new combo, I like to try it out around 50 times, and track how often it works). So I have 7 more matches to go for this trial, but at best it will work 41 out of 50, which is 82% success rate. So in 11 days I'll reveal a couple unusual combos, including a great way to counter Sentry that actually works, that few, if any, people have thought of.

JJ

Nice theory!
    Judging by your roster, you might be using some combination of Hulk, Thor and classic Storm to reliably defeat Sentry teams? Because if it's MMN/cStorm Wind Storm combo, any combo with cMags, then I don't see how it's anti-Sentry-specific, while cStorm with 5 yellow covers like yours most definitely is.

Good guess, but nope. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I will say I use Patch to tank and protect this character. Since the Ai does not use boosts, I have enough time to build up the Ap required. On defence, it wont work so well as the person attacking can use boosts and end it quickly. But on offense, it makes WR less effective than a nice breeze in the spring time. icon_twisted.gif
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Hmm, that's either GSBW or She-Hulk then, with their cascading prowess and anti-Sacrifice abilities. Could be the one-star Storm with her nice anti-WR Hailstorm? Guess too.

Edit: wow you have a lot of characters.

Edit edit: err could you please explain why you have a 2/5/3 Sentry and a 0/0/2 Sentry?

Edit edit edit: not to mention that 0/1/0 Fury when your main Fury is only 2 in blue?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Forgot Falcon and Spidey, guess they are also pretty anti-Sentry, but that's not new.
  • IamTheDanger
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Hmm, that's either GSBW or She-Hulk then, with their cascading prowess and anti-Sacrifice abilities. Could be the one-star Storm with her nice anti-WR Hailstorm? Guess too.

Edit edit: err could you please explain why you have a 2/5/3 Sentry and a 0/0/2 Sentry?

I am collecting a second of each character. I have 1 of every character, and a second of almost every one. Still need 2nd C Daken and one other. I think. The reason my first Sentry is the way he is, is because I don't use him that much and that's the order I received his covers. And for the 2nd Sentry, I have not gotten his red or green yet. I don't know why I gave the first one a 5th green instead of giving it to the 2nd. Guess I wasn't thinking at the time.

And as for having so many characters, well, I'd have more if they let me. With 48 current characters, and Colossus, an new 2*, and new 3* on the way, we will have 51 total. How the h€!! can I have 2 of each then if the max limit is 100? Not cool D3. Not ..... At ..... All !!!
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    E2-E4 anybody?
  • IamTheDanger
    Options
    locked wrote:

Edit edit edit: not to mention that 0/1/0 Fury when your main Fury is only 2 in blue?

GSBW is a combo I've used against WR before, however it takes far to long to get enough green Ap to fire it off. If Sniper Rifle were cheaper it would be perfect though. Massive damage to the other team And it clears the board of most, or all WR tiles. But as it is now, it just takes to long, even with boosts. I was only able to get enough green Ap to use that combo before the Ai hit WR about 1 out of 7 matches. Very good guess, but not consistent enough. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I learned to play chess but I find it tedious . . . hence my wooden box answer.

I don't know how much chess my husband has played but he approaches MPQ like a chess game. We play entirely different games. However, we do share strategies and try things we learn from each other.

I like the shiny - the animations, the sounds, the pretty colors. The Marvel shell is a way to do that and it fits my interest in Marvel heroes.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Part of it is, I've noticed that people who play chess, the greatest strategy game of all time, have developed some unusual combos.

I thought Go was the greatest strategy game of all time.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My guess on your Sentry theory is 1* black widow with 5 in blue. You can stun him for 5 turns after he starts WR and then fire Berserker rage or TBTI to clean everyone up. I would imagine if MBW was at level 1 then Patch would tank all colors for her as well.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My tanking strats are pretty poor, and I haven't glanced at yer roster, but "gentle as a summer breeze" puts me in the mind od a shield generator, like C.Mags, CapAm, Black Panther, Falcon, or even Loki (reversing a Sacrifice to an uber-strong shield tile). CMags' shield is cheap and can be thrown on short notice.

AI World Rupture plus friendly shield tilage: good times.
  • My guess is using Patch to tank for Juggernaut for both Green and Red. At 6AP, Juggs has a quick board shake up move and you'd be competing to get green with Sentry. With 1 or 2 board shake ups, you could very easily demolish WR.

*edit: I'm interested in your MPQ/Chess theory, so I'll be checking back in on this. icon_e_smile.gif
  • SheHulk would be my guess. Patch covers her green and red, her blue neutralizes the Sacrifice tile pretty consistently.
  • Awesome sig papa.
  • Thanks, but credit goes to a teammate of mine, Houtro, who did the design. I wish I had that much talent.