4* battle! Who's better, Fury or Xforce?!

Options
darthmental
darthmental Posts: 104
edited September 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm a bit divided on this, and I'm wondering what my fellow forumites think.

Xforce seems to get going faster, but Fury seems more devastating once he gets the ap.

Thoughts?

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm a bit divided on this, and I'm wondering what my fellow forumites think.

Xforce seems to get going faster, but Fury seems more devastating once he gets the ap.

Thoughts?

Fury is better if your team composition needs a blue/purple user. X-Force is better if your team needs a green/black user. I think both characters are pretty comparable in power level otherwise.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably fury. There are tons of good green users, and a reasonable number of decent blacks now. Whereas with cmags going blue, there's pretty much no other viable purple than fury or DP
  • Assuming all 3 slots are avaiable X Force is significantly better. If the enemy's strongest color is say, green, X Force's black is likely to kill at least one guy on a normal board.

But since you don't always get to pick all 3 guys, Fury does have an advantage for being the rare character that has a great blue and purple power. In general I'd say Fury can only beat X Force if the enemy team's strongest color is a weak color, like purple, black, or blue. Black is the worst case for X Force since you'd get most of your black AP back but then you wouldn't be able to do damage with it because there aren't any black tiles left to destroy.
  • Honestly I think, like you pointed out, Wolvie's "8AP/11Ap" puts him in a much better position than Fury's "10AP/12AP." And to Phantron's point, If my enemy's strongest color is black, I'm going to entertain myself by pairing Wolvie with BP and trying to pull off a "Surgical Strike -> Rage" chain icon_lol.gif
  • Wait, is somebody really advocating XForce here? Seriously? Did X-Force get a buff to make him not completely useless since the last time I checked? And what's this talk about his Black? What's going on here???

Edit: Just checked my X-Force, and see no change. Is this a joke topic or what am I missing?

Edit2: Ah, somebody may have mentioned that this was about an upcoming patch...
  • gamar wrote:
    Honestly I think, like you pointed out, Wolvie's "8AP/11Ap" puts him in a much better position than Fury's "10AP/12AP." And to Phantron's point, If my enemy's strongest color is black, I'm going to entertain myself by pairing Wolvie with BP and trying to pull off a "Surgical Strike -> Rage" chain icon_lol.gif

It just occured to me you'd have to vary who you have on your team depending on what the opponent's color is. For example if their best color is red, then you probably want Captain America or Human Torch, and it also means when attacking X Force you've to try to make sure your best color isn't something that's useful for their team. Of course right now everyone will still lose to Sentry + whatever but that might become an interesting meta game when Sentry eventually gets fixed.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The question I have is more "are people with max covered x-force going to start power leveling him now?" It's going to take a lot of iso to get him up there so is it really worth the investment?
  • mohio wrote:
    The question I have is more "are people with max covered x-force going to start power leveling him now?" It's going to take a lot of iso to get him up there so is it really worth the investment?

Easily, yes. He hits like a **** truck.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Assuming all 3 slots are avaiable X Force is significantly better. If the enemy's strongest color is say, green, X Force's black is likely to kill at least one guy on a normal board.

But since you don't always get to pick all 3 guys, Fury does have an advantage for being the rare character that has a great blue and purple power. In general I'd say Fury can only beat X Force if the enemy team's strongest color is a weak color, like purple, black, or blue. Black is the worst case for X Force since you'd get most of your black AP back but then you wouldn't be able to do damage with it because there aren't any black tiles left to destroy.

So here is the thing. Assuming you are fighting 166's, there are THREE "Best colors". (This will almost only ever happen in Shield Vs.) Or possibly 2 166's and a 60 featured, two "best colors". At that point which tiles get destroyed, random selection? In this case, the best case scenario would be to kill black tiles, and fire it off a second time immediately. Or would it go by the tie breaking priority and give it to closest to center?
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Assuming all 3 slots are avaiable X Force is significantly better. If the enemy's strongest color is say, green, X Force's black is likely to kill at least one guy on a normal board.

So here is the thing. Assuming you are fighting 166's, there are THREE "Best colors". (This will almost only ever happen in Shield Vs.) Or possibly 2 166's and a 60 featured, two "best colors". At that point which tiles get destroyed, random selection? In this case, the best case scenario would be to kill black tiles, and fire it off a second time immediately. Or would it go by the tie breaking priority and give it to closest to center?

It's based on team position. Whoever is in the center would be the one who loses their color (if all 166s)
  • I think X Force will be interesting because he'd be severely impacted by the featured character. Here's a rough breakdown effectiveness his black is against colors:

Green - Someone will probably die after a black just from X Force's green (though you could have something even better)
    Red - Captain America or HT would clean up here, though decent red power isn't hard to find even if you don't want to include them.
    Yellow - Thor/Sentry would easily clean up
    Blue - Nothing really exciting here
    Purple - Ditto unless you're running Nick Fury
    Black - This is the worst color because either you can only use your black skill once or you got to double up on black skill even when you already have one of the best black skill.

Now let's look at the 3*/4* that correspond to the problematic colors:

Purple - Daken? (not sure what happens after the change, because in his case Phermone Rage is his top color but his highest match is green, and that's changing too so I have no idea what happens), Daredevil, GSBW, Deadpool, Loki
    Black - Punisher
    Blue - Dr. Doom, She-Hulk

Note: Magneto's strongest color is likely yellow after the change based on the existing convention of top ability color = usually the highest strength

So it looks like purple is particularly problematic because the only person who can cover purple without being a deadweight would be Nick Fury after the changes. But maybe Deadpool would be good to play when purple is the strongest enemy color?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why not just use both? As long as Xforce does not take too much damage, you can save yellow for Fury. The only color missing then would be red.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I think X Force will be interesting because he'd be severely impacted by the featured character. Here's a rough breakdown effectiveness his black is against colors:

Green - Someone will probably die after a black just from X Force's green (though you could have something even better)
    Red - Captain America or HT would clean up here, though decent red power isn't hard to find even if you don't want to include them.
    Yellow - Thor/Sentry would easily clean up
    Blue - Nothing really exciting here
    Purple - Ditto unless you're running Nick Fury
    Black - This is the worst color because either you can only use your black skill once or you got to double up on black skill even when you already have one of the best black skill.

Now let's look at the 3*/4* that correspond to the problematic colors:

Purple - Daken? (not sure what happens after the change, because in his case Phermone Rage is his top color but his highest match is green, and that's changing too so I have no idea what happens), Daredevil, GSBW, Deadpool, Loki
    Black - Punisher
    Blue - Dr. Doom, She-Hulk

Note: Magneto's strongest color is likely yellow after the change based on the existing convention of top ability color = usually the highest strength

So it looks like purple is particularly problematic because the only person who can cover purple without being a deadweight would be Nick Fury after the changes. But maybe Deadpool would be good to play when purple is the strongest enemy color?

Black does not generate AP?

• Black does not generate AP?

Says black generates AP for the tiles destroyed at level 5. If you mean why I said enemy black is bad, let's assume they have 11 black tiles so your black will do about 3000 damage and get you 11 black AP. However now that there are no black tiles left on the board the next black does 0 damage. I saw a suggestion for going X Force + Black Panther, but beyond the fact that Black Panther is still not quite top 5 right now, you still have to end up with 12 black AP. That is, if there are 11 black tiles and you have 11 black AP, you use black and get 11 AP back, but now there are no black tiles left on the entire board so you probably can't get your 12th black AP for a while. You'd essentially still have to use it as if you only have Rage of the Panther unless you're sitting on a ton of black such that using 11 black AP still leaves you with 12 left after the cascade, though that in case you probably should just go for 2 Rage of the Panthers.
  • Aren't those tiles destroyed with his black? Then it should set up cascades, like crazy cascades, and there should be blacks available.. Though not as much as would be needed, but still black.
  • iPulzzz wrote:
    Aren't those tiles destroyed with his black? Then it should set up cascades, like crazy cascades, and there should be blacks available.. Though not as much as would be needed, but still black.

It takes 21 tiles destroyed on average to get 3 black back, so if you destroyed say 10 and got a 4 chain cascade (12) you'd still only have 3 black back. Once X Force's black hits the board you can assume that color is going to be gone for a while, which is bad when that color is black. But only Punisher has black as his strongest color when I checked all the 3*/4*s.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think you can safely assume that, more often than not, you'll actually have 12 or more Black AP in hand when you cast Surgical Strike.
    That would leave you with at least 1 Black AP in your pools. If you do manage to get 11 back, then you'll hae enough to cast Rage of the Panther.
  • velaic22
    Options
    I think fury is having better skill even wolvy get his buff
    but i still not manage to get the cover icon_e_sad.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wolvie will be better on defense, as his skills are more foolproof. With Fury you need to look at other AP and consider when to use his yellow, avoid your own traps to maximize damage from his blue, and protect an important single CD/strike tile with his purple.

In the end, they're both very strong characters you can build a team around. IW really needs a second buff-pass with this kind of character design.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    This is a pretty tough choice, and both are strong.

Personally, Fury would fit better with my roster, but I'm loathe to spend any more HP on this game after the horrible mess that has been the R60 patch. Decisions, decisions.