Sealed Tournament?

Pwuz_
Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
After watching an episode of Extra Credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGkpoYxSep8&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5B9CbWO0UkKqIJL8mJjAaOl&index=15&src_vid=Sz4WXVNq7v8&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1676033589, I was thinking about how it particularly relates to MPQ.

How possible is it to create a Sealed tournament for MPQ? I was kind of thinking that it would work kind of along the lines of players get a 10 Pack of Heroic Tokens. Each Cover they get for the tournament would instantly become (for the tournament only) a Max level character built 5/4/4 with the 5 being the skill that was drawn.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I think it'd be interesting if you say draft heroes with 10 other players and then you play against each other's team that's still defended by computer as usual and we use a win/loss + damage taken as a tiebreaker. Of course currently whoever drafted Sentry or Magneto will probably win, but I'm sure they can figure out some way to refine that.
  • Pwuz_
    Yes and No.

While certain characters would still be OP in a tournament like this, most skills have a huge power increase for that 5th cover. Imagine facing a team with Daken Blue Maxed, Sentry Red Maxed, & Hood Yellow Maxed. Sure, they can still be dangerous, but not nearly as much as that same team as it appears in a normal tournament with optimal builds.
  • Well in that case whoever draw Magneto blue or Sentry green would still have a huge advantage but there's only 1/3 chance of that. It can be rare enough that it'll work and whoever does pull Magneto blue or Sentry green can just consider himself lucky.
  • Pwuz_
    And that's only if they get someone else who plays nice with them. What a kick in the pants would it be to pull Blue C. Mags, Blue M. Mags, Yellow L.Cap, Purple Bagman, Red Daredevil, Black Moonstone, Red M.Thor, Purple M.Hawkeye, Green C.Storm, Black Doom.

Or taking an actual 10 pack pull.

"Sentry - red, Moonstone - purple, Torchling - red, 2* Cap - red, 2* Wolv - red, Ares - Green, Doom - blue, 2* strom - green, Ares - red, 4* Wolv - red"
    Sentry Doom and Xforce? Not exactly the best synergy there.

I'm sure that most teams are going to be abnormal at best. But I think that it would do a lot to force players into trying new combinations that they otherwise would never try. The odds of getting a team of 3 characters that we all are used to using together would be pretty low.

Take a look at any of the full 10 pack pulls from season 4 and try to build a team out of that.http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13380.