Lightning Rounds could do with a shake up.

Options
Lightning Rounds, a.k.a. Ragnarok massacre zone. Nice idea but it's getting a bit stale. Maybe shake things up a little by throwing in different groups instead of villains all the time?

2* LRs, Avengers LRs, Black Widow Lightning round, featuring rotating Original, Modern and Grey Suit, Bag-Man rounds, featuring a chance to win a fully maxed out Bag-Man. :v

Comments

• While I agree, consider that there's been no other way of getting those covers for most people. If I had been working my way toward being ale to contend in those rounds, then they disappeared, I wouldn't be happy. Totally in support of alternating things, though.
  • Oh yeah, they're great in general. I'm not saying 'Remove villain LRs' at all, just alternate them with other events before it wears out its welcome.

Also I'm bitter that all I've gotten out of trying hard in Lightning rounds is a 5/4 Loki and a 5/2 Doom. :v
  • I've wondered why the focus on villains (except for the obvious "theme" of these LRs).
    At a certain point these LRs make it much easier to get a full set of 3* villains, over heros.
    It's been suggested elsewhere, but I'll echo it again: why not add 3* heros to the LRs?
    I'd suggest a buffed-hero/villain-prize and vice versa system. For Example:

- Buffed Magneto Rounds -> 3* GSW prizes
    - Buffed 3* GSW Rounds -> Rag prizes
    - Buffed Rag Rounds -> Punisher prizes
    - Buffed Punisher Rounds -> Doom prizes
    - Buffed Doom Rounds -> Spidey prizes
    ...etc.
  • They so very desperately need to remove the buff. It's just stupid and really does make it so that if you have a high level Rags then you can easily get top placement in every other Lightning round (case in point, I've finished top 2 in 2 tournaments and top 8 (tied for 2nd) in one this week... and those are the only 3 I've actually played for the entire time in). I can count the total number of retaliations in those 3 tourneys on one hand. But until you get a mid to high level Rags it's nearly impossible to place high in his round (and I've seen someone do it; but I'll agree that that was an irregularity).

With a 200% boost there's no counter to Rags, except to have your own high level villain; at least in regular tournaments you can defeat Rags in a reasonable manner -- it's not going to be easy, but killing a high level 3* shouldn't be easy except with another high level 3*.

Beyond that I'd be all for Hero LIghtning rounds or other varients. Not that the villain ones should go away entirely, since there are always people rising through the ranks, but some changes are welcome.

Just get rid of the stupid boost.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    They so very desperately need to remove the buff. It's just stupid and really does make it so that if you have a high level Rags then you can easily get top placement in every other Lightning round (case in point, I've finished top 2 in 2 tournaments and top 8 (tied for 2nd) in one this week... and those are the only 3 I've actually played for the entire time in). I can count the total number of retaliations in those 3 tourneys on one hand. But until you get a mid to high level Rags it's nearly impossible to place high in his round (and I've seen someone do it; but I'll agree that that was an irregularity)...

...Just get rid of the stupid boost.

Agreed. I've played around in the lightning rounds a bit, but have never had a Rag and so have never felt inclined to try and get into them. With the boosts in place, the only way to compete in the lightning rounds is to have the characters that are being given away; this feels kind of counterintuitive. Honestly, I've loved the No Holds Barred tournament, and wish that in the future they just would stop buffing pvp altogether. PVE buffs make sense (it's hard to fight 3 level 230 guys without some advantage), but pvp buffing just feels cruel to newcomers or lazy/unlucky long-time players.
  • They'll never lose the buffs, because it compels the 'have nots' into spending money on HP so they can take a pull on the Diabolical pack, so they can compete.

I'm sure it's worked on a small percentage of people, which is what they live on.
  • I wouldn't mind the boosts turned off either. Without a good 3 star even getting into the top 50 is really rough going. The heroic tokens for top 100 are nice but I almost always get 2 stars and I dont need them. That said I got a green rag and a black original widow today so I'm fairly happy. Makes a nice change from getting thors and dakens. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    They'll never lose the buffs, because it compels the 'have nots' into spending money on HP so they can take a pull on the Diabolical pack, so they can compete.

I'm sure it's worked on a small percentage of people, which is what they live on.

Which is fair enough. As a person who hasn't paid them yet, I can't seriously complain about anything they do to earn money. Still, it's kind of a bummer.
  • Zathrus wrote:

I think the problem you're describing lies in the fact that All villains are buffed in All rounds, not so much in the buffs themselves.

Buffs is what makes these "lighning rounds", as matches can be over quite quick.
    ..and IMHO it's what makes them fun! icon_twisted.gif

Like I say, I think the issue is that the buffs are the same in every round. Rags is boosted in every one, so a team with him can always dominate. ...if MPQ were to simply switch up the buffs then you'd get some Rags pummeling oportunities for those that don't have him...
  • MrMeer wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:

I think the problem you're describing lies in the fact that All villains are buffed in All rounds, not so much in the buffs themselves.

Buffs is what makes these "lighning rounds", as matches can be over quite quick.
    ..and IMHO it's what makes them fun! icon_twisted.gif

Like I say, I think the issue is that the buffs are the same in every round. Rags is boosted in every one, so a team with him can always dominate. ...if MPQ were to simply switch up the buffs then you'd get some Rags pummeling oportunities for those that don't have him...

Yes, but it wouldn't help actually getting a Rags that much. Hopefully people with 5/5 won't try for top spots (I know many people, myself included, don't, but I don't presume to speak for everyone), but even a mid level Rags will wipe the floor with non-boosted characters.

But yes, making it so that only the featured villain was boosted would be better. And even a lower boost would make things more reasonable. A 200% boosted Mags is just as bad as a 200% boosted Rags.
  • It seems there is no staff that creates this game..

The number one idea on lightning rounds and villains just BEGS to create unique places for them. Ditch the repetive city/lab/jungle places.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    While I agree, consider that there's been no other way of getting those covers for most people. If I had been working my way toward being ale to contend in those rounds, then they disappeared, I wouldn't be happy. Totally in support of alternating things, though.

I've never won a Lightning Round, or even gotten a diabolic token out of one, and I have every featured villain. None are over level 38, but it can happen.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options

The number one idea on lightning rounds and villains just BEGS to create unique places for them. Ditch the repetive city/lab/jungle places.

Yeah, why can't we have Latveria in the Dr Doom lightning round?
  • There's a desert now. For fighting Sandman. And the snowy mountains. For...Wendigo, I guess.