Mr. Fantastic/ Diagonal Moves

Options
tempestuousfury
tempestuousfury Posts: 76
edited August 2014 in Speculation and Concepts
I was thinking about new abilities than what we currently have, and I realized that, aside from Moonstone, we don't really have ways of moving tiles in any way save horizontally or vertically. In order to create diagonal moving abilities, I realized that MF would be an amazing character for it, as his superpower works well with the concept.

I am using red (move 1), blue (move 2), and green (move 3) AP for this example so the idea is clearer.
My suggestion for his third (diagonal move) ability:
1 cover: A selected green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
2 covers: A selected red or green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
3 Covers: A selected red, blue, or green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
4 Covers: Any basic tile with MF's symbol can be moved diagonally.
5 Covers: Any tile with MF's symbol can be moved diagonally.

As he is supposed to be relatively imperious to physical blows...
Move 1:
1 cover: With x AP, MF creates a 2 turn tile that reduces damage from basic attacks (tile matches) by 25%.
2 covers: With x AP, MF creates a 2 turn tile that reduces damage from basic attacks (tile matches) by 50%.
3 Covers: With x AP, MF creates a 2 turn tile that reduces damage from basic attacks (tile matches) by 75%.
4 covers: With x AP, MF creates a 2 turn tile that reduces damage from basic attacks to 0.
5 covers: Tiles last 3 turns.

I would think move 2 could be a pummel or AoE tumble attack or something.

Caveats:
I realize that Move 1 has serious potential for abuse, but it only affects tile matches (or all attacks if the ability is not that great of a shield), the numbers could be changed to balance him, and using much-needed tile colors like green or red could make the player choose between defense or offense.

With the diagonal move, I would think that the ability to move any tile would be good for d3 as players would be tempted to spend ISO and HP to max his level in order to make him stronger in all colors and increase his chances of being able to move different tiles. Another option would be to add an L shaped (chess-knight) or 2 spot option as well. Another option is to have a special tile that allows for the diagonal movement ability.

I know that there is a high chance of him being a broken character because of these abilities, but I would really like to see tile move options other than horizontal and vertical.

Comments

• Move 1: Percentage damage reduction is a bad idea and unnecessary as we already have protect tiles. invulnerability? No, just no.

Move 3: So this is a limited swap? In order for it not to be overpowered, you'd either
    1. have to eliminate horizontal/vertical moves OR
    2. end the turn OR
    3. have it cost a large amount of AP OR
    4. Have tiles swap randomly within a range

I'm unsure as to whether increasing colours/types (strike/protect) / or distance would be the best. Another downside is that the devs would have to program in extra tile selection validation/highlighting.

It's an interesting idea, and as a fan of Moonstone's Pink, I'm all for more tile movement abilities.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aside from Moonstone, we don't really have ways of moving tiles in any way save horizontally or vertically.

How quickly we all forget the Spectacular Bag-Man...
  • tempestuousfury
    Options
    aside from Moonstone, we don't really have ways of moving tiles in any way save horizontally or vertically.

How quickly we all forget the Spectacular Bag-Man...

Lol. I've never ever used him. But I recall seeing a teamup where he did that ("Switcheroo", right?). I suppose he was overlooked. But it's a rare ability. I'd love to see something that could work consistently...
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Something like a diagonal or unusual move is awesome. Mr. F can bend and move any way he wants, so some kind of power that lets him alter the board would be perfect for him. As for the 3rd move, that could be a stun. Say he stretches out into a rope and ties the enemy team together for a couple turns. Or he morphs into a giant blanket and throws himself over the enemy team, stunning them.

As to the protect tiles, I dont know about that. In a way it would go along with his character, but we already have several protect tile generaters. So if move 1 was something like a diagonal move, or any unusual move really, and 3 was a stun, then 2 should be a damage or Ap theft move.

Like he stretches his hand out into the enemy Ap pool and takes a few away. Or morphs his fist into a sledge hammer to pound the bad guys. icon_twisted.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A move where he stuns himself and the enemy team for the same length of time would fit the character really well, I think.
  • 1 cover: A selected green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
    2 covers: A selected red or green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
    3 Covers: A selected red, blue, or green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
    I see what you're going for with the 4 and 5 covers, but it seems to me like that would be more limiting than the lower covers. You'd only only benefit from having the higher covers so long as Mr Fantastic was tanking the majority/all of the colours. Which would restrict who you could have on your team.
  • tempestuousfury
    Options
    GhostWolfe wrote:
    1 cover: A selected green basic tile can be moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally one step.
    I see what you're going for with the 4 and 5 covers, but it seems to me like that would be more limiting than the lower covers. You'd only only benefit from having the higher covers so long as Mr Fantastic was tanking the majority/all of the colours. Which would restrict who you could have on your team.

True, I didn't consider having stronger characters in those colors.... I suppose it could be stated differently to make it seem like an addendum? Or perhaps adding different colors or criticals or something?