mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
$5 or $10 a month gets you

X-ISO8 and X-3* tokens per week.

very simple and affordable.

you're welcome.

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    What about $5 or $10 a month gets you 2x or 3x the daily reward. Instead of 25 Hp today, I get 50 or 75.

A subscription idea has a lot of potential if it's done right.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been mulling over the subscription model for a while and I think it will work for Mpq.

The challenge is to have a model that provides value to the subscribers.

Besides Iso and tokens, there are also other stuff that provide value. Some of the things I can think of:-

1) Free 3x 3hr shield per week (roughly correspond to 1shield per pvp)
    2) free health packs
    3) increased health packs limit (ie when you subscribe 1 week, that week your health pack limit increase by 1; when subscription ceased you go back to 5)
    4) Free 3x All boosts per week
    5) increased chance of 3* tokens (maybe double the chance)

The last but most important suggestion is this:
    6) subscription allows you to have no limit on your roster size. Once you cease subscription, your roster goes back to normal. This encourage whales to keep spending as they can now try collect-em-all. While it may cannibalize initial sales, I think they will break even with just 2 weeks of subscription.

The subscription need not be a flat sum but customisable. You can have 1 package for pvp and 1 package for pve centric players.

Finally, the UI do not need to change much. Instead of a true subscription model (which needs to be charged to a credit card and may be messy), they can create a store which they purchased this benefits. Once purchase, the benefits last you for a week. If you buy it every week, then the benefits will last you for every week that you purchased.
  • I'd quit personally and the user base would probably shrink by about 95%

even for .99 a month
  • atomzed wrote:
    Finally, the UI do not need to change much. Instead of a true subscription model (which needs to be charged to a credit card and may be messy), they can create a store which they purchased this benefits.
    This completely defeats the purpose of having a subscription, though. It's not about the benefits, it's about the automation.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    LoreNYC wrote:
    I'd quit personally and the user base would probably shrink by about 95%

even for .99 a month

What are your reasons for that? It still remains a f2p game, and if done correctly, still gives great value to the customers. The competitive advantage of subscription are EXACTLY the same as the current system. Ppl pay for boosts, shields, roster spots.... So the proposal is not suggesting anything drastically new.
    GhostWolfe wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Finally, the UI do not need to change much. Instead of a true subscription model (which needs to be charged to a credit card and may be messy), they can create a store which they purchased this benefits.
    This completely defeats the purpose of having a subscription, though. It's not about the benefits, it's about the automation.

Sure, it will be great if they can automatically deduct a certain amount from your credit card.... but i am not sure how technically challenging it is. i remembered that both the Apple Store and Play store have certain restrictions about directing users to another site for payment; as that means their 'commission' is by-pass.

So i merely speaking from the current UI perspective.