Heroic Token Reform

Zen808
Zen808 Posts: 260
First off, some assumptions based on what i have gleaned from these boards. If any if these happens to be inaccurate, let me know and I'll try and correct it.

1) Heroic Tokens roll 2 Random Number Generators. The first is to determine whether you get a 2*, 3*, or 4*. The second is to determine which cover from that pool you get (incidentally, this is why you have a lower chance of pulling a 2 cover character; they have one less ticket).

2) Currently, the chances of pulling a 4* appear to be about 2.4%, and a 3* at about 14%. (Combined, you have about a 1 in 6 chance of pulling a 3* or higher).

3) The devs probably have little desire to change the percentages on the first RNG.

4) However, I believe I read IceIX once say that they do consider the increasingly smaller chance to pull a specific character, due to the ever expanding pool of characters, to be a problem that needs to be addressed.

5) The devs probably don't care, no matter what idea comes up in these boards, so any brainstorming done in this post is purely a mental exercise, done because I like to tinker.

Recent posts regarding this topic are:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13953 - only put the characters who are going to be involved in the Season PVP events into the Heroic tokens.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13992 - let the player choose whether to draw from a legacy character pool, or a new character pool.

So, I do like the idea to flag the 3* characters as Legacy or New. The OP acknowledges that his idea could possibly clutter the UI. And reducing the number of characters in a token does improve the odds of pulling a specific character, but it makes it harder for transition players who need to build up, say, Punisher.

Idea #1 - Ignore Heroic tokens for now, and limit Event tokens to New and featured characters only. This would make Event Tokens more special, as they'd have an increased rate of drops for New and sought after characters, while leaving Heroic Token pulls for those that need Legacy characters.

Idea #2 - Split the first RNG. Leave the 4* percentage the same, make the 10 newest characters at 10%, and the remaining 4% will go to Legacy draws. For the Legacy draws, maybe just have color based tokens - you get, say, a Red token, that can be used for any Red ability within the pool of Legacy characters. I'll admit that I'm not sure if this can even be coded into the game, but again, just brainstorming for the sake of brainstorming.

Idea #3 - Will post here if I think of another idea.

Thanks for your time.