AI Problems

I honestly don't know how the AI in this game works, if it works at all. Does the computer simply choose the strongest match, with no eye towards strategy? If that's the case, then how come when faced with a choice between a t-shaped five-way and a straight four, will the computer always choose the four? And why does the computer sometimes choose a weak colour it doesn't even need over a strong color we both need? Is it letting me have green to be nice?

So, after all this, showing that the computer can very likely tell the difference between good and bad moves, but chooses bad ones, do I get the feeling the replacement tiles that drop aren't really random? It seems like the computer is dropping straight lines of green on Ares and making sure my Patch can't get any.

I think there is an AI working here, and sometimes it deliberately makes bad choices and other times it cheats to make up for it. I would like to see the game play for real every time, without this fluctuation. If the game can analyze its best choice, it should take its move, and the let me strategize the best way I can. And I really would like to see truly random tile drops with solid rules against five way matches happening "accidentally."

Comments

• I've noticed this too. The ai is a moron but gets ridiculous cascades and doesn't seem to need the required ap to use abilities. I'd rather lose to a better ai than lose because of ****.
  • Without analyzing the particular scenario where a match 4 row/column is available versus a match 5 +/-/T, these two moves are virtually identical in their value because the game has a premium on creating a row/column cascades. Since the AI never analyzes such a scenario to begin with, and a human almost never analyze either, they're actually equally good/bad. You should not take a non row/column match 5 unless the crit tile can either be turned into a match 4 or better, or at the very least it can immediately match something else, and there's about a 50% chance you can do that. The other 50% of the time you're stuck with a crit tile that you can't get rid of immediately unless you do a simple match 3 (which makes the total value of this move considerably lower than a row/column match), or let it sit around and be absolutely certain the computer doesn't get to cascade it into something nasty next turn. However it takes way too much time to analyze this scenario fully so you usually end up just always taking the match 5 without really knowing if that's really the best move.

The AI has a massive advantage over any human player when it comes to getting cascades. Even though it is programmed to randomly pick the wrong moves, its ability to analyze every position in the board trivially and that it never gets tired gives it an insurmountable advantage in cascades. This is why you need to avoid shaking up the board as much as you can.
  • themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Cascading is an AI problem but for me the biggest is their team ups they have what seems to be an endless supply, how does it work is the ai drawing from the storage, did the player go into the last battle with those team ups? how does a two star roster have what seems to be maxed 3 star team ups, i don't understand so many times team ups have caused more damage then usual or even made me lose icon_evil.gif