A 2** Team Alternative for Midgame

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi Forum people,

I thought about things you could do, that are not thor/Storm/x and not these 3*** endgame teams and after I read about another 'Indie-Team' in a thread I thought we could have such a topic for Midgame Players.

I run a Wolverine (2*)/Hawkeye Modern/x Team most of the time because it allows you to play very consistent as much as you want. Together they are strong in 5 of 6 colours and with Hawkeyes avoid Wolverine can tank in 5 colours (all of them if you choose a third member that's not strong in Black) and heal it back up. He is also barely capable of taking the double of the AEs of all other 2* and also a red+yellow combo of Thor without dying. To make it all a bit easier I recommend Bullseye as a third member for full colour coverage and the protect tiles. He only needs to come forth after placing a few protects so he basically takes also no damage. It's something you can do until you have a character that can heal other characters.
I really know that this is not a very good PvP defense team and this team is not about speed but about consistency but I find it really fun to play (I usually use Spidey as a third, most of the time only for his new purple, but this thread should be about 2* icon_e_wink.gif )

Comments

• Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been using Original Black Widow as a third for Purple AP steal and late game heal or countdown timer control.
  • I've been thinking about an ideal 2* team for when we eventually have a 2* only tournament, agree with the poster above that Original Widow is a nice choice, I would probably go with something like Thor/Wolverine/O. Widow
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    I've been thinking about an ideal 2* team for when we eventually have a 2* only tournament, agree with the poster above that Original Widow is a nice choice, I would probably go with something like Thor/Wolverine/O. Widow

That is exactly the team I'm running in NHB tourney right now, and it's been working great. 76 Thor (5/5/3) / 54 OWidow (3/5/1) / 56 Wolverine (5/4/4).

Practically every opponent in the tourney has lvl 85 Thor, but I can usually power up Widow's lvl 3 Aggressive Recon before they get enough red & yellow to fire off any badness. That gives Thor & Wolvie enough time to down Thor and mop up the supporting cast and have enough Blue in the tank for an Anti-Grav heal or two.

Probably not the best of all possible strategies, but hopefully it'll win me a few more Grey Widow covers.
  • I think my ideal would be Wolverine/Black Widow and Capt. America. If Wolverine is out front most of the time you won't need Black Widow's heal always. I find Capt. red attack works well in conjunction with Wolverines Green. When Wolverine uses all his Green Capt can throw his shield for 1-1.5K over and over until Wolverine finishes the guys off with Adamantium Slash. Capt. Blue is pretty useful also if somebody is on the verge of attacking.
  • I'd also like to try Capt. Magneto and original Black Widow but my Magneto and Black Widow aren't high enough levels.
  • **mags is actually pretty decent. He shines only when teamed with someone who thrives off blues though...which isn't a good situation as thor/wolverine are undoubtedly #1 and #2 of the ** covers. Of the 2 stars that basically is just storm. Still, storm/thor/mag would a good team that just misses out on black, bit isn't scary at all on def. I still think the best 2** only team is thor/wolv/x. The x should be someone that covers blue purple black in some fashion. That will either be storm (no black/purple) mag (a weak blue and no black with a purple that only benefits his weak blue..so no), bullseye (a very weak black but his passive can be annoying..doesn't cover blue), widow (blue doesn't do anything but a small heal usually in PvP and the black isnt going to be that amazing...but the purple can be a nice way to hassle), cap (no black or purple and only 2 abilities really..only the blue really being used most likely), dakan (no blue), or Hawkeye (mostly useless purple, okay blue nut not great, and no black). Of those I'd probably either take storm for her amazingly helpful blue dakan for the extra tank+tiles, or maybe widow as a nuisance that makes her priority one for the opponent to kill. Really I would narrow it down to storm or widow as I don't care for dakan slowing down the match.
  • Really I would narrow it down to storm or widow as I don't care for dakan slowing down the match.

Daken also eats red tiles that are better used by Wolverine. Wolvie's strike tiles are twice as strong as Daken's.

Daken's major advantage is on defense -- people are annoyed by the passives and it's a surprisingly effective counter against teams that make lots of green matches.
  • The only reason I kept original BW was incase of an eventual 2 star tourney. So I imagine I would use her. Probably have to take thor also for damage/tank. But who for the third. Storm is ok, but low health. Magneto is good and would feed widow's heal, but his colour strength might sap her black passive dependin on lvl. I don't really like running wolverine and thor together, but I guess it's doable. I think I would probably try out storm or magneto and swap between them when one got downed.
  • 2-star Magneto, C. Storm, and Cap are team 2-star blue stunlock. I actually saw someone running a L85 version of this team shortly after Cap came out. Never saw that team again though. Might actually try if I hadn't restarted my Marvel Now Magnus icon_e_sad.gif

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I can't see any way that Thor/Wolvie/C. Storm aren't still the measuring stick, the standard, and the cream of the crop for 2-stars.

I think we need some more 2-star characters to fill out the ecosystem TBH. At least someone to bump the big 3.
  • The other two stars just need a slight bump to make them atleast somewhat competitive with the big 3. Some of them have pretty cool abilities but don't fit into the powerbomb meta.

But I'm all for new covers as well.
  • I don't really like the randomness on her purple, but moonstone has good hp, and her red can do almost 3k with a good board. Pair her with Wolvie and original widow. Enjoy!
  • There's nothing random about Moonstone's ability unless you use it against someone who is strong against the ability. Modern Storm would be the most obvious one, but even Daken or Iron Man 35 gives you a ton of headache. Against an opponent with no ability to create special tiles it's basically 4 AP because you get 1 AP for whatever tile you destroy plus at least 3 back for the cascade (should be trivial to pull off such cases). Against a character with a strong special tile like Wolverine, it's certainly worth it to use up 8 purple AP to get rid of 1 of his red strike tiles, not to mention you get 3 red AP back in the process. Usually you can do at least a match 4 each time you use Gravity Warp unopposed so you actually gain AP. In emergencies you can also use Gravity Warp to either deny an impending match by an opponent that leads to a big move, or use it to get the last AP you need for your own big move.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Really I would narrow it down to storm or widow as I don't care for dakan slowing down the match.

Daken also eats red tiles that are better used by Wolverine. Wolvie's strike tiles are twice as strong as Daken's.

Daken's major advantage is on defense -- people are annoyed by the passives and it's a surprisingly effective counter against teams that make lots of green matches.
    Daken's also somewhat useful on defense for the opposite reason: he fills up all the red tiles before Doom, Wolverine or and enemy Daken can hit them. Nothing was more frustrating to my Doom than building enough black AP to drop some demons, only to find one tile left that Daken wasn't squatting on.
  • I've found that with 85Thor and 85Wolvie it doesnt matter much who else i throw in there. Build up 9 greens and 12 reds or so for a few feral claws and then mjolnir. Then if need be finish with a Thunder strike. Its not Mag/Rag/***Widow or anything but i can usually finish a round in a minute or less with boosts. I usually use IM40 as the third just for an occasional recharge or meat shield, but I've been playing around with OBW now that she is at an ok level (46), and I have to say I'm really liking what she brings to the party. I try to build up enough blues to get off an end round heal which usually means that i have full health after the match. Its a much slower way to play but if you are just steadily climbing the leader boards over the course of a few day event its pretty fun. I also use her sometimes just for a round or two to heal thor and then back to rapid attack mode. I don't have a high enough level spidey yet to make him a viable healing option (actually its not his level as much as the fact that I've only found 1 blue cover) so she is great for a mid level healer. Easier to use too as you don't have to build up 2 AP colors like with spidey.

I've tried Thor/Wolvie/C.Storm but just found it to be terribly slow. I really couldn't make Storm work and she really didn't add much to the team. I'll admit she is only level 53 but I'm glad I didn't throw anymore iso into her. Thor and Wolvie tear it up on their own so her extra offense didn't really come in to play and i find myself trying to gather blues that I don't really need just so I can do something with her. At least when I gather blues with Widow I do it for the purpose of the endgame heal so it slows me down but is almost always useful.

Edit: I realize my comments are a bit off topic of the original post but they were intended to give my general support to Original Black Widow and my general disdain for C. Storm. I'd like to see more OBW and less Storm
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    Right now I'm using Thor/Bullseye/Widow (Modern) and liking it. My Wolverine and Classic Spidey don't have enough covers to be at all useful (they're at l22 and l20) and my Thor is stuck at level 69 because he's at 5/3/3 until I find more yellow covers. Not gonna spend real money on ISO or covers, ever. icon_razz.gif

I could level Classic Storm pretty high right now, but post-nerf she doesn't seem that powerful...