Pre-Constructed Lightning Events/Low level tourney?

Options
Just an idea I got to help fairly pit newer players against older players. Create a series of lightning rounds, but instead of letting players choose from their own arsenal of characters, only allow a preconstructed team, consisting of characters supplied by the game. For example, give the same 3 characters at the same levels to everyone, and put a 60 minute time limit on the round. Everyone's characters revive to full power after every match, and you get one point for every match won. Grinding could become a small issue, but if the rounds were short enough, anyone could take the time to put a serious effort into getting a top prize, and it wouldn't matter that you had a level 115 Ragnarok or all the time in the world to play.

Another idea is to create a tournament that only allows you to use one star characters at level one. You can't use any character who has gained a single level. Recruit tokens are incredibly easy to come by, and everyone could easily aquire three 1st level characters regardless of their playing experience. You could also do this with level 6 two star characters, and level 15 3 stars, although the latter would be harder because most people level their 3 stars the minute they get a chance. Just some ideas. I really liked The Hunt, but let's be honest. It really catered to the higher level players, just like the lightning rounds cater to anyone with a decent Ragnarok. These events could create a lot of fair competition. Any ideas from y'all?

Comments

• Sorry, but pass...

One thing to remember is that events are supposed to encourage players to improve their characters (particularly offbeat ones), which thus encourages them to spend money. That's missing from all of this. In fact, both ideas actively discourage improving your own roster.

And L1 characters? I cannot think of anything more boring, sorry.
  • To help newer players give them lightning rounds that buff ironman / m.storm / c.hawkeye / m.widow etc, with thor and wolverine as rewards.
  • I'm not saying make it a big thing, I'm saying have them with other events so that newer players stand a chance of getting a top spot. You are one of the top players in the game (from what I've seen of your team) so I wouldn't expect you to jump at this. But, if you came into this game late, wouldn't you want events that gave you a legitimate chance of getting a top prize? And so I'm curious. What would you recommend to help balance the game out? Or would you prefer that the top players continue to claim every top prize? They need to introduce some type of handicapped event.
  • Oh, I owe you an apology. I was mistaking you for Ranzera.
  • JayChurch wrote:
    I'm not saying make it a big thing, I'm saying have them with other events so that newer players stand a chance of getting a top spot. You are one of the top players in the game (from what I've seen of your team) so I wouldn't expect you to jump at this. But, if you came into this game late, wouldn't you want events that gave you a legitimate chance of getting a top prize? And so I'm curious. What would you recommend to help balance the game out? Or would you prefer that the top players continue to claim every top prize? They need to introduce some type of handicapped event.

At this point, yes, I have a strong team and finish in the top of my bracket. But that doesn't prevent other teams that are transitioning from the Prologue PvE to the PvP tournaments from placing well in tournaments. Between the bracketing (X players per bracket) and Matchmaking system (you mostly fight people around your own ability) it's entirely possible for teams that wouldn't have a chance to beat top players to rank in the top 10, or even top 2, of a bracket.

This isn't to say everything's perfect. Matchmaking rankings continue to get improved (and they need to be). I'd like to see tweaks to the scoring system so that it stops dragging people down so much.

And I'd welcome seeing more events geared toward low/mid level players -- if I could, I'd revamp SHIELD training to be worthwhile and I'd always have 1*/2* tournaments running (one of each) with top prizes in 1* being a decent/good 2* (Thor, Wolv, Storm, Orig BW, Mags) and 2* having a decent 3* (IM40, Doom, Punisher) reward. Plus other tournaments such as what we have now.

I've seen some interesting ideas for alternative PvP styles (ihearthawthats recent post, for example, although implementing it would be... difficult), and more PvE events, particularly permanent PvE ones, are also welcome.

All that said, the key is really in my first sentence. I think I've seen a total of 5 other top level forum goers in my brackets in the past 2 weeks. Across all the tournaments. And I'm actually overstating that number just in case. While it is somewhat luck based, getting into a bracket that doesn't have a bunch of heavy hitters in it makes a huge difference. Don't jump into a new event when it first starts (I did for the first few weeks of PvP... I figured out not to about a week before it was being talked about on the boards; I'm sure others figured it out long before I did and kept quiet themselves) and you'll have a much better chance at placing well. You may not get top 5 or top 10, but for new/mid level players usually the rewards are good all the way to top 25 or 50. The one exception to this rule is Lightning Rounds, where there is no bracket.
  • I agree with you. Maybe instead of two star prizes, they start implementing higher ISO rewards. I think putting 5k ISO rewards for events would be reasonable, given that that prize really helps newer players more. It's taking almost 2k to get my Loki from 95 to 96, but a new player could really beef up a few characters. Just brainstorming. I really like this game, and everything they are doing, even though it's far from perfect. I just hate getting stuck in intense brackets that only have a small handful of people I can even contend with, and I'm sure it happens to a lot of people other than me. Just because you do really good in one event, doesn't mean you should be placed with masters in the next. The dark avengers event really kicked my butt
  • JayChurch wrote:
    I agree with you. Maybe instead of two star prizes, they start implementing higher ISO rewards. I think putting 5k ISO rewards for events would be reasonable, given that that prize really helps newer players more. It's taking almost 2k to get my Loki from 95 to 96, but a new player could really beef up a few characters. Just brainstorming. I really like this game, and everything they are doing, even though it's far from perfect. I just hate getting stuck in intense brackets that only have a small handful of people I can even contend with, and I'm sure it happens to a lot of people other than me. Just because you do really good in one event, doesn't mean you should be placed with masters in the next. The dark avengers event really kicked my butt

If you put 5k as a reward, I can guarantee you you'll have higher level player vying for it again. Unless you put even higher prizes on the higher level tournaments, and then you have a runaway economy / Monty Haul situation going (which this game already teeters on).

One idea I have for matchmaking, but which would require a LOT of playtesting, is to have your bracket determined by the average level of your characters (the ones eligible for the event if small enough, like DA, or the top 6 otherwise). Presumably you're going to use your highest level characters for PvP, so having matchmaking based around that would seem to make sense to me. Again, it would need a lot of playtesting -- even if they started work on it today I wouldn't expect to see such a change for at least two months.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    JayChurch wrote:
    I agree with you. Maybe instead of two star prizes, they start implementing higher ISO rewards. I think putting 5k ISO rewards for events would be reasonable, given that that prize really helps newer players more. It's taking almost 2k to get my Loki from 95 to 96, but a new player could really beef up a few characters. Just brainstorming. I really like this game, and everything they are doing, even though it's far from perfect. I just hate getting stuck in intense brackets that only have a small handful of people I can even contend with, and I'm sure it happens to a lot of people other than me. Just because you do really good in one event, doesn't mean you should be placed with masters in the next. The dark avengers event really kicked my butt

If you put 5k as a reward, I can guarantee you you'll have higher level player vying for it again. Unless you put even higher prizes on the higher level tournaments, and then you have a runaway economy / Monty Haul situation going (which this game already teeters on).

One idea I have for matchmaking, but which would require a LOT of playtesting, is to have your bracket determined by the average level of your characters (the ones eligible for the event if small enough, like DA, or the top 6 otherwise). Presumably you're going to use your highest level characters for PvP, so having matchmaking based around that would seem to make sense to me. Again, it would need a lot of playtesting -- even if they started work on it today I wouldn't expect to see such a change for at least two months.

Do you really want to fight polkio and ladder every match lol
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Do you really want to fight polkio and ladder every match lol

Just Polkio, that dirty rat bas... icon_lol.gif

While it'd suck for those of us at a high level, it would be far more fair.