Characters in the Pipeline...

A sincere question to the developers from an unenlightened fan of the game:

How do you decide on which new characters to prioritize for including in the game's roster?

One would think the popularity of the character in the comic reader fan base would influence that decision heavily. Attracting a loyal fan who identifies with a character might even encourage that fan to pay money for covers in an attempt to level up and play the character in the game. Attracting more loyal fans and encouraging them to pay more money to play their favorite characters translates to profit, no?

I'm scratching my head to make sense of why obscure characters like Juggernaught, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers or Falcon are included before other longstanding fan-favorites like Cyclops, Jean Grey Emma Frost, Silver Surfer, Magik, Thanos, Thing, or Big Bertha?

Hopefully we can both agree that one of the above does not belong and would likely fall flat with a loud "thud" with players if she were introduced... Although her introduction could make for an amusing plug for a Public health announcement considering the obesity epidemic...

Having been a comic fan for the past 3 decades, I'm underwhelmed with recent character releases. Perhaps I and others like me should just take our business back to the comic stands...

In other words, would you please poll your audience for at least one upcoming character release? As always, transparency in communication is appreciated!

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    virtue wrote:
    A sincere question to the developers from an unenlightened fan of the game:

How do you decide on which new characters to prioritize for including in the game's roster?
    The characters that can make them the most money are the ones that get priority.
    virtue wrote:
    One would think the popularity of the character in the comic reader fan base would influence that decision heavily. Attracting a loyal fan who identifies with a character might even encourage that fan to pay money for covers in an attempt to level up and play the character in the game. Attracting more loyal fans and encouraging them to pay more money to play their favorite characters translates to profit, no?
    No. Way more people play this game than what read comics. Catering to the minority of your userbase is not a good financial decision. Or at least not the best.
    virtue wrote:
    I'm scratching my head to make sense of why obscure characters like Juggernaught, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers or Falcon are included before other longstanding fan-favorites like Cyclops, Jean Grey Emma Frost, Silver Surfer, Magik, Thanos, Thing, or Big Bertha?
    Most of the new characters that were introduced up until now were characters that played a part in the Dark Reign story. Falcon and Lazy Captain America were purely to capitalize on the release and success of the latest Captain America movie. We'll probably see more "fan favourite" characters as movies make them forefront in the minds of the users.
    virtue wrote:
    Hopefully we can both agree that one of the above does not belong and would likely fall flat with a loud "thud" with players if she were introduced... Although her introduction could make for an amusing plug for a Public health announcement considering the obesity epidemic...
    Since favourite characters are highly subjective, none of those characters are going to be everyone's favourite. Thanos and Thing are the only two you listed that I'd want to see any time soon.
    virtue wrote:
    Having been a comic fan for the past 3 decades, I'm underwhelmed with recent character releases. Perhaps I and others like me should just take our business back to the comic stands...
    You have more control that way.
    virtue wrote:
    In other words, would you please poll your audience for at least one upcoming character release? As always, transparency in communication is appreciated!
    They do this now. They read the forums and changes have been made to the game based on posts here. We got Deadpool mostly I'm sure due to the massive number of people that have posted here wanting him.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    virtue wrote:
    longstanding fan-favorites like Cyclops, Jean Grey Emma Frost, Silver Surfer, Magik, Thanos, Thing, or Big Bertha?

Dude, even I have to remind myself who Magik is... seriously?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    virtue wrote:
    I'm scratching my head to make sense of why obscure characters like Juggernaught, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers or Falcon are included before other longstanding fan-favorites like [...] Big Bertha?
    Is... is that a joke? I seriously had to google her.
  • Black Bolt, Wonder Man, Quicksilver, Iron Fist.