Adding an alliance member should be a team effort

I think to help with adding team members in alliances, they should make it where everybody has to contribute coins or at least make it an option. That way it's not just one person buying a spot.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, and when I apply to a club, I'm going to insist that all existing members pool their money together to pay my annual dues, because it'd be an honor just to have me.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Yes, and when I apply to a club, I'm going to insist that all existing members pool their money together to pay my annual dues, because it'd be an honor just to have me.

This is a pretty poor analogy, considering when you go to the club, nine times out of ten, you're going to be financially supporting the club(s) you're visiting via cover charges, drinks, food, and other accommodations.

I, personally, think that each Alliance should have a "Bank", of sorts, where all members can put in and only Commanders (or perhaps a new positions, such as Treasurer) can take out and/or distribute. This would allow Alliance members to help each other by donating ISO, Covers, and potentially each Hero Points to one another. Furthermore, it would also allow members of the Alliance to lessen the burden on the Alliance leaders.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:

That is one of the dumbest (non-)replies I have ever read. OP is asking that member be allowed to chip in to open up alliance spots and not force the leader to have to do it. where are you now that you have to (or even can) pay dues to be in your alliance? As it is right now, only the alliance captains can spend their private HP to do it. I know for my alliance, we're mostly all irl friends. So when I asked the leader to open a spot up for me, I gave her the cash to buy HP to increase the alliance roster.
  • I agree with gothickratos. That was what I was trying to say lol as far as a bank for the team; it would make for an even better reason to join an alliance if we could pool resources together.
  • I agree, either in a reward structure (you have won 50 gold coins and your alliance has won 5) or donation feature (donate 5 / 10/ 50 etc. coins to the alliance).
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tef42 wrote:
    I agree, either in a reward structure (you have won 50 gold coins and your alliance has won 5) or donation feature (donate 5 / 10/ 50 etc. coins to the alliance).

I feel like this would be a nice gesture, especially if there are expansions on the functionality of Alliances in the future.
  • simonsez
    abmoraz wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    As it is right now, only the alliance captains can spend their private HP to do it.
    No, that's not how it's done at all. You recruit someone who is willing to pay THEIR HP to open up a slot. I'm sorry to see that so many people are in alliances where they think it is the responsibility of the founder/commander to open up the slots personally. If you were under the belief that that was the only option, I can understand why you'd want a system of pooling assets.
  • It is possible to kick someone, to let someone else in to make them a commander and let them buy their next to add back in the person who left. Now you either have to deal with said person being a commander and having the power that comes with that, and I have seen a plethora of complaints about inactive commanders due to just this. This ~is~ one way to get slots for an alliance but it is a poor way to develop a competitive alliance.

Being able to pool HP would allow an alliance to grow naturally and recruit promising players that would be good fits for the alliance long term instead of picking up the first person they can find who is willing to shell out some HP for an alliance spot, which does not necessarily equate to a good fit, and even if you require said player to give up their commander status there will still be those who live by the mentality that they paid for their spot and they can do whatever they want with it rest of the alliance be damned. Not the greatest way to build teamwork.
  • simonsez
    I have seen a plethora of complaints about inactive commanders due to just this.
    We fixed that ages ago by making the commander status temporary. You're right, you can't have an effective alliance where everyone has officer status.
  • Who is we? The fact that many alliances have made things work without this feature is not an argument for it to be dismissed, the feature has been called for many times and is still a good idea. The original question was not for tips on how to get around the lack of this feature, just asking for something that would increase QOL in smaller alliances.
  • simonsez
    Who is we?
    I was not using the royal we, I was referring to MY alliance and affiliates. So calm down, ok? Apparently there are some people who weren't aware that there was an alternative way of doing things, and now they are. I'm not arguing that pooled resources shouldn't be allowed, I just think it's a lousy idea to pay for someone else to join your clan. Doesn't mean I have any interest in stopping anyone else from doing it though.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Who is we?
    I was not using the royal we, I was referring to MY alliance and affiliates. So calm down, ok? Apparently there are some people who weren't aware that there was an alternative way of doing things, and now they are. I'm not arguing that pooled resources shouldn't be allowed, I just think it's a lousy idea to pay for someone else to join your clan. Doesn't mean I have any interest in stopping anyone else from doing it though.

Sorry, did not mean to offend it was just not clear who the 'we' was referring to, so I asked merely as a clarifier. I bought several spots for my first alliance so others could join. We were right at the line between getting covers and not getting covers so adding more people in let us tally more points and was a benefit to everyone when we pulled in extra alliance rewards. I suppose the climate has changed greatly since then and it takes more than that to be a top 100 alliance. I admit there is less to be potentially be gained by adding in people just to add them in these days, but at the time it was a great idea to pay for someone else to join. And many of the best organized alliances now one commander paid for all the slots and hand picked the entire team. That is an expensive, but effective way to make a competitive alliance.