"Who uses a Team-Up" hypothesis

Options
Videocrazy
Videocrazy Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
edited August 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I know that the Team-Up tiles share a feature with the old Environment tiles in that neither were affected by Strike tiles if you dealt damage by matching them. What if the game's using the Environment tile's system for determining who's making a match with them (and activating Environment powers, which was relevant to Thorned Rose) to also determine who's activating the Team-Up power?

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    It looks like the character in front uses TU.
  • Negative. Sometimes it is the character in front, but not always.

Someone else had a theory in another thread that each character was responsible for a different Team-Up and the orders were respective to the roster position. ie, if you scroll through the roster and it's Yelena, Daken, Ares, TU Flame Jet, TU Bagman, TU World Rupture in that order, then Yelena would be who you have to kill to stop Flame Jet CDs but Ares would be the one to kill to stop WR CDs. I have no idea if they are right or not, but it's the only theory so far that I can't immediately discount from personal experience.
  • MunitionsFrenzy
    MunitionsFrenzy Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's not always the character in front. The weirdest experience I've had yet was using an AoE (Call the Storm) that didn't kill any active characters but cleared a Team-Up trap anyway, as if the tile had been created by some invisible newly-spawned Daredevil with less than 1102 health.
  • Videocrazy
    Videocrazy Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's not always the character in front. The weirdest experience I've had yet was using an AoE (Call the Storm) that didn't kill any active characters but cleared a Team-Up trap anyway, as if the tile had been created by some invisible newly-spawned Daredevil with less than 1102 health.

Actually, now that you mention it, the same thing happened when the enemy activated a TU World Rupture. First activated, did damage to both teams, and the rest disappeared.
  • Just happened to me too. IM40 was the only guy standing. I Molotoved, and he survived but the Flame Jet CD disappeared.

Seriously, how the holy **** can someone write code this bad? I mean, I know absolutely nothing about coding despite having a **** in Software Engineering (thanks, University of Phoenix!) and I'm pretty sure even I would notice if my game were adding invisible characters out of nowhere.
  • My theory of which team up is used is the same as which power is used. I'll explain. If you have say ragnarok And lazy thor. Ragnarok green cost 6, thor 14. If the enemy has 14 green ap then third skill will activate 100% of the time. Of the enemy has 6 ap then ragnarok skill may or may not activate. If you had so.e1 like hulk who had 10 ap and you had 10 green ap his skill would be more likely to activate than ragnarok. The farther the distance between minimum ap cost and maximum ap cost of same color skill effects the % of the lower ap skill to activate. The closer the 2 skills in % the more likely the lower ap skull cost is to activate when you have the required ap. If you ha E enough ap fkr the most expensive skill it will ALWAYS activate.

I assume team ups act accordingly. If you have the ap for highest cost team up it will always activate. If you have enough ap for the lower cost move then it will have a % chance to activate depending on the difference in the ap cost with the highest ap cost.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If the only living character on either side uses a team-up that produces countdown tiles (World Rupture, Hawkeye's abilities, etc.), stunning them will not prevent those tiles from counting down or firing. So it seems clear that ability usage isn't tied to the character in front, or perhaps not any of the characters.

If I had to guess, I'd say that team-ups are inactive "phantom" characters; they're on the field when their team-up is triggered but are invisible and non-targetable. However, some multiple-target abilities can hit them (accounting for the "invisible Daredevil" described above), and they take damage from World Rupture's tiles too. This behavior probably isn't intended.
  • Yeah I posted a thread in the Bugs forum. Team-Ups do indeed create a new invisible character.