A question about strike tiles

Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I'm a little confused with Strike tiles, do they add X damage to everything you do, including matches and abilities, or just one or the other?

Do they actually add X damage per tile or is there a diminishing returns element to it?

Comments

• They add to everything. If you have strike tiles with X damage (total) on them then they add to match damage, to ability damage, and even to attack tile damage (M Storm, Doom, Punisher).

They only add once to each -- so match3 becomes match3+X; match4 becomes match4+X, attack tiles become (sum of all attack tiles) + X. Otherwise a single strike tile plus Modern Storm would be... ugly.

The damage is now reduced in cascades -- it's (base + strike) * reduction factor; this is a fairly recent change. It used to be (base * reduction) + strike -- which was really, really nasty and potentially overpowered.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    They add to everything. If you have strike tiles with X damage (total) on them then they add to match damage, to ability damage, and even to attack tile damage (M Storm, Doom, Punisher).

They only add once to each -- so match3 becomes match3+X; match4 becomes match4+X, attack tiles become (sum of all attack tiles) + X. Otherwise a single strike tile plus Modern Storm would be... ugly.

The damage is now reduced in cascades -- it's (base + strike) * reduction factor; this is a fairly recent change. It used to be (base * reduction) + strike -- which was really, really nasty and potentially overpowered.

I remember when this was patched, but never had a strike tile ability to see it in action. How overpowered exactly was this? For instance, I do 100 damage+50 strike tile damage, then the damage goes down in the second match. What would it have been if it wasn't patched?
  • Before patch your first match did full damage (so 100 + 50), second strike did 75% (so 75+50), and it kept going down... but strike damage didn't. So that 10th cascade with 95% reduction (or whatever it is) would've been 5+50.

After the change the reduction was after adding the strike -- so 150, then 150*.75 = 113, on down to that last match which would be 8.

For short cascades with only a few tiles it wasn't too big of a deal. For long cascades? Huge difference. And consider that a L85 Wolverine could put down several hundred damage in strike tiles (89 per). Then even small cascades had a significant difference.
  • Thanks for clearing that up. Good thing it was changed then, I would hate to be the one on the opposing side of strike tiles since the opponent always gets cascades with Daken lol.
  • Thanks for the explanation, makes a lot of sense