When you have two heroes that have the same value for an AP

Options
Who tanks? Meaning, if Daken and Hulk both have 79 damage for green tiles, who goes to the front when you match a green set of tiles?

Comments

• KillStormFirst
    KillStormFirst Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was definitely wondering the same thing.. any info would be greatly appreciated
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's the character in the higher priority slot at the match up screen. The priority goes:

1- middle
    2- left
    3- right

So you always want to put your tanks in higher slots than your fragile heroes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The order of tanking on exact ties is their position on the team, with middle > left > right.

However, exact tie is only possible with character of the same tier and same level. If a 2* and a 3* both have a strength of 50, they're probably not tied since tile strength has a decimal component that we do not see but the game uses to break ties, so the values could be say 50.5 and 50.4 and the game will always take the character with 50.5 in that case, even if you can't see the number after the decimal.
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    AP powers include decimals? That's odd, never knew that. Do the values get rounded, or floored/ceilinged overall? Are the decimal values taken into account when matching, or only the integers?
  • Unknown
    Options
    M C K wrote:
    AP powers include decimals? That's odd, never knew that. Do the values get rounded, or floored/ceilinged overall? Are the decimal values taken into account when matching, or only the integers?

This is match damage not AP cost. The title might be confusing but since there are no moves that cost 79 green AP I'm pretty sure it's talking about match damage.

What happens behind the scenes with rounding is not really that important as long as you know that two tile strength that appears to be tied may not actually be tied, and regardless of how it's rounded/truncated/etc a 50.5 still always beats a 50.4. Now if you're trying to leave someone at the highest level possible where he wouldn't tank some of his color then you'd have to consult a source that actually has the formula for all the match damage to figure out just how far you can go, and I'm not sure if the wiki has that or if you'll have to dig harder to find the formula.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So here is an interesting scenario that I haven't seen asked but...

166 5g/3r/5y Patch
    Y: 61

140 2r/4y/5g LT

With Patch in Middle or Left and LT in right, LT always takes yellow. That kind of violates the rule on a tie. Are the decimals to blame here or does the game give the edge to LT because yellow is his 2nd strongest color whereas for Patch, it's his 3rd?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mondo wrote:
    So here is an interesting scenario that I haven't seen asked but...

166 5g/3r/5y Patch

140 2r/4y/5g LT

With Patch in Middle or Left and LT in right, LT always takes yellow. That kind of violates the rule on a tie. Are the decimals to blame here or does the game give the edge to LT because yellow is his 2nd strongest color whereas for Patch, it's his 3rd?

Exact ties are only possible for character of the same rarity and same level.

In this case what is happening is that Patch's 61 might be a 61.2 and LT's 61 might be a 61.4, and 61.4 always beats 61.2 regardless of the position they're in. I don't know the exact number after the decimal so I just made them up, but they definitely exist and they do trump any position prioritiy. There's a formula for all tile damage, and the strongest color might go something like 1, 1.6, 2.2, 2.8, 3.4 while the second strong color might be 1, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0. While to you, 3.0 and 3.4 both show up as a 3 whether the game rounds or truncates value, but the game knows what their actual values are. Since all characters of the same tier use the same formula for tile strength of their strongest color (and second strongest and so on), and I remember the formulas went out to a rather large number of decimal places, the only way they would be exactly tied is if both characters are using the same formula, which implies both characters have the same level. In any other case they're almost certainly not going to be equal.