The rubberbanding really needs to stop

Options
I have been battling to stay close to the top of my bracket through all of iso8, and have been doing a good job of keeping my rank between 2 and 40 by just playing on my work breaks, lunch, and after work.

But now I can't seem to get back under 40, and I am having to wait on my health packs to regen. Looking on the list I see so many names in front of me that were never there before.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Based on the way you described your play schedule you probably wouldn't even be close to the top 50 without rubberbanding.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You should be in good shape if you can play the last hour or so. As you fade down the leaderboard, the rubberbanding will work in your favor again.
  • Wetzilla
    Wetzilla Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    As you place higher in tournaments you get seeded into groups with better players. That's why you can't stay as high as easily, because the people you are now playing with are better.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Although PvE has sharding it cannot possibly always work. Let's say the best PvE player in the game has entered the event and he gets put into an incomplete bracket while the #2-#5 best PvE players have not entered. Does this bracket permanently stay unfilled because you need #2 to #5 to make this challenging for him? But how can the game possibly know when #2 to #5 is going to enter, if at all? The so called death bracket is simply a reflection of that the strategy everyone is going for is almost never going to work, so if everyone thinks it's a great idea to join on the last day, that wouldn't work because everyone else is thinking the exact same thing too. It's possible they keep say 2 brackets open for a while and funnel stronger players into the stronger one, but there's no way the game has any possible way to know where to place the #1 PvE player in the game if he joined 4 days later. Sure it'll try to put him in the strongest bracket available, but whatever bracket is still left open at that point can easily still be trivial for him. Likewise let's say you're shooting for #20 in a bracket and you're #100 overall in the entire game. Normally that should be pretty easy, but if the only brackets that are open consists of #1 to #99 spread out evenly in the two remaining brackets, you'll be pretty screwed. The game can't possibly know when someone is going to enter a bracket, if at all, nor should it care.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    One time I had a feeling I was moved from one bracket to a stronger one in a PvE event. Might be bias though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    One time I had a feeling I was moved from one bracket to a stronger one in a PvE event. Might be bias though.

Do you mean your bracket actually changed in the middle of an event? I can certainly see the game try to place stronger players in tougher brackets, but I've never heard of anyone that had a main bracket change in the middle of an event.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    locked wrote:

Do you mean your bracket actually changed in the middle of an event? I can certainly see the game try to place stronger players in tougher brackets, but I've never heard of anyone that had a main bracket change in the middle of an event.
    Only time that happened was when they split up the unbracketed shield training into 5K brackets near the end of season 1.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm not sure I'm afraid, was just a hunch, no pics, no nothing. Just bias perhaps. And it was a sub bracket I think. Maybe it was the magic of rubberbanding when your top 10 shapeshifts completely all of a sudden.
  • Unknown
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    You should be in good shape if you can play the last hour or so. As you fade down the leaderboard, the rubberbanding will work in your favor again.

But there's the problem, right there. Everything happens in the last hour. And how many can play in that last hour? That is why I hate rubberbanding, as it's constructed now.

There was one event where the rubberbanding seemed to ease up the closer we came to the event end. I had rank 2 and then went to bed and a few hours later when the event was over, I still got top 50. That felt okay, but falling 100-200 ranks just because you can't play in the final hour is just ridiculous.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    locked wrote:

Only time that happened was when they split up the unbracketed shield training into 5K brackets near the end of season 1.

I've heard of it happening during that one period of continuous server outages. (The period when they were occuring more frequently than usual, that is. icon_rolleyes.gif )
    Probably hickups where players randomly got tossed into a new bracket before being snapped back to their old one later.