PvE Should End on the Weekends for Everybody

Options
I constantly see posts asking that the developers change the time so that European players are not so disadvantaged in competition but how about changing PvE events so that the end day is always either Saturday or Sunday? When it is set to end during the week of course it is a distinct advantage for players in the United States, I live in the Republic of Korea(South Korea), and usually I am at work when the tournaments end. I always hit the nodes before work but cannot hit refreshes in the time between starting work and lunch.
This has cost me dearly, most recently in She Hulk placement, as I went from #1 in my bracket to #120 by lunch. I was able to get top 50 but there wasn't enough time nor did my characters last, thanks true heal, for me to progress farther. So I say just push the end time for PvE so that it always ends on the weekends for all player regions. Of course there will be huge complaints if this happened from Americans not wishing for more competition but this is basically the only way to even out the playing field for all players.
Please vote and we shall see where the cookie crumbles. Unsure if that is an appropriate adage but it is one of the few english ones I know. Thanks.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I know that feels bro - I'm an hour ahead of you and it sucks too.

But I'd still rather have the events finish mid-week. That way if there are serious server problems, DU can have staff on hand to solve the problem as quickly as possible.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    I know that feels bro - I'm an hour ahead of you and it sucks too.

But I'd still rather have the events finish mid-week. That way if there are serious server problems, DU can have staff on hand to solve the problem as quickly as possible.

In my opinion your point is moot because right now the events end at midnight EST and from what the developers have stated about not having many employees they cannot be manned at that time. Thus server outages wouldn't be taken care of until the morning. How about the end time be noon EST, shifting the pain to be people who have benefited most so far. This would also cover server issues that you pointed out.

Edit: Thanks for voting and submitting your opinion. Sorry to come off as a jerk, don't mean to but tone doesn't transfer well to typed words.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    I'm still of the opinion they should rotate the PvE end times so that everyone gets their fair share of ungodly hours. Weekend or not does not matter.

Although I voted no because weekend is time for real life (at least for me).
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    I imagine it's not just American's who would prefer to be able to make commitments to something outside of a match 3 on the weekend.

When I played WoW, most of the raiding guilds, including mine, had schedules that were weekday only for this exact reason.
  • jim1200
    jim1200 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I have to agree with hurcules, I think end times should rotate. I know for me, I definitely play less during the weekends because I have more commitments going on.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm in one of the golden timezones (EST) where PVE ends at midnight for me. I'd love to have it end at 9 or 10PM instead. But I'd certainly rather have it end on a weeknight than on a weekend, especially not a Saturday. Weekends often see me playing less, and I'd gather for most people it's less inconvenient (because a lot of things are certainly not convenient about the game) to finish up during the week, where they're likely on a regular schedule, than on a weekend where they are actually living their lives.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my preference would just not be on the weekend. I would hate to have an end time be on a Sat and hurt my alliance becuase I wanted to go out for the eveningh instead of staying home and playing MPQ. I actually think Tuesday or Thursday is a good end date becuase there are no PVP's ending. It is still tough for me to finish top 10-20 even though I am in the US becuase I wake up at 5:30 to go to work.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I spend friday and saturday evening staying up late with my friends, so I'd rather not have any events ending at 6 am the day after. I even hate the Wed-Sat PvP event for that same reason. If I go to bed after midnight, I don't have the strength to get up at 5am for a match-3 game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Once again, the problem is not the ending time. The problem is rubber banding. Fix this and the timezone/ending time issue goes away
  • Unknown
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    Once again, the problem is not the ending time. The problem is rubber banding. Fix this and the timezone/ending time issue goes away

Prodigal Sun had no rubberbanding at the last sub, and there could've been some serious time related issues if the last sub event ran for more than two days because missing a refresh could've been disastrous in a tight race. I think that time it worked out almost everyone can do at most 4 refreshes (to do one more would require pretty insane juggling of schedule) and people were able to build huge lead early on which discouraged other players from trying to sneak ahead so it somehow worked out but if it ran longer, there would be way too much advantage for the guys who had favorable timezone/lifestyle to get an extra refresh in.

You'd have to have server based refresh cycle for a rubberband-less system to work. Otherwise there's no way you can possibly overcome someone who did one more refresh than you due to timezone advantage.
  • Unknown
    Options
    As has been suggested before, end times wouldn't matter much if rewards were all pushed to progression. The only downside is that they've proven that they can't accurately gauge what is obtainable. If they could get the thresholds right, people could play as they please and could get the rewards they wanted AND get a good night's sleep regardless of time zone.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    You'd have to have server based refresh cycle for a rubberband-less system to work.
    And remind me why they don't have a server based refresh cycle again? Seems like if it was a 12 hour cycle it's not asking too much of someone who wants to play this game competitively to sweep all the nodes in that amount of time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    You'd have to have server based refresh cycle for a rubberband-less system to work.
    And remind me why they don't have a server based refresh cycle again? Seems like if it was a 12 hour cycle it's not asking too much of someone who wants to play this game competitively to sweep all the nodes in that amount of time.

There was never any explanation from D3's end. If you have server based refresh time + rubberbanding, it'll put even more weight toward doing the missions as late as possible per 12 hour period, though honestly I think right now if you can't play at the very end of an event you're already totally screwed and being even more screwed is likely the difference between finishing #150 or #250. Server based refresh time + no rubberband seems like a pretty foolproof method of competition. The person with the most total base points earned will always win and there's no timezone advantage as long as you can do all your missions in a 12 hour block. It'd be trickier to make the progression rewards right in such a system but that's D3's problem not the player's problem, and besides we've plenty examples of rubberbanding that ends up totally missing the mark on progression rewards on both directions so I don't see how it'd be any worse. I suppose the lack of a rubberband will no longer make everyone think they're totally in contention for top 10, but is that really a good thing to give people false hope only to see your ranking plummet in the last hour when all the heavy hitters come out and do their last minute push? Note that if you're one of the heavy hitter, you're not impacted by this since you could've done your push anytime and without rubberband you'll probably just do it earlier and get it over with and still get whatever placement you're going to get.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The flip side of this is without rubberbanding if you miss any time at all in a PVE, you may as well stop there, you will almost never be able to catch up
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    The flip side of this is without rubberbanding if you miss any time at all in a PVE, you may as well stop there, you will almost never be able to catch up
    This ++.

Rubberbanding has its merits. I actually like rubberbanding so I can grind nodes on my own terms and times. In Unstable ISO-8, one stack grind of all the nodes while they are in full stack netted me top 10 (although I believe this is bracket dependent). Then I can go off do my real life stuff until I have free time again, which is typically much much later than the 2.5 hours refresh time.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So people who put in the effort and play constantly shouldn't be rewarded for that?
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    So people who put in the effort and play constantly shouldn't be rewarded for that?

Just saying if the system is set up so there is no way to ever catch up, I will just stop trying because, why should I beat my head against a wall for nothing.
    Someone else suggested rewards for the highest ~average~ placement. I would be all in favor of two reward pools one for consistently high ranked people, and one for crazy wake up in the last hour to grind things out people. Sure some people could dominate both but why not reward them extra for that.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

There was never any explanation from D3's end. If you have server based refresh time + rubberbanding, it'll put even more weight toward doing the missions as late as possible per 12 hour period, though honestly I think right now if you can't play at the very end of an event you're already totally screwed and being even more screwed is likely the difference between finishing #150 or #250. Server based refresh time + no rubberband seems like a pretty foolproof method of competition. The person with the most total base points earned will always win and there's no timezone advantage as long as you can do all your missions in a 12 hour block. It'd be trickier to make the progression rewards right in such a system but that's D3's problem not the player's problem, and besides we've plenty examples of rubberbanding that ends up totally missing the mark on progression rewards on both directions so I don't see how it'd be any worse. I suppose the lack of a rubberband will no longer make everyone think they're totally in contention for top 10, but is that really a good thing to give people false hope only to see your ranking plummet in the last hour when all the heavy hitters come out and do their last minute push? Note that if you're one of the heavy hitter, you're not impacted by this since you could've done your push anytime and without rubberband you'll probably just do it earlier and get it over with and still get whatever placement you're going to get.
    what if they rubber banded from the scores at the beginning of each refresh instead of the current scores?
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Friday night through mid-day Sunday are always busy for me with RL demands, so personally I'd rather see all event ends be between Sunday night and mid-day Friday (MT).
  • Unknown
    Options
    It may come as a shock to learn, but some people actually work weekends. My job is busier at the w/e then it is during the week, as i guess so are others.

No i am not a prostitute.