It's time to fix the battery drain issue!!!

Hello Dev's (Or whoever is allocated the job of reading the forums),

As the title suggest, it is time to fix the battery draining effects of your game. 30 minutes of play time SHOULD NOT equate to 30-35% battery drainage. I use the Samsung Galaxy S4. I force close all apps that I am not currently using, so there is nothing running in the background except the Android OS, so that leaves MPQ. If I skip a day of playing, I have no battery life issues.

There are several ways to do this. But I think the most obvious way (Which SEVERAL people have already asked for for eye sight improvement) is to TONE DOWN THE ANIMATIONS!! This may not decrease the battery consumption as greatly as most people would like, but it would significantly help.

There is absolutely no need for EVERYTHING in this game to have a fhqRtmcs.jpgto it.

I am not sure what other developer options you have at your disposal to decrease battery consumption. But this seriously needs to be addressed and the software modified.

EDIT: And just to clarify, I have run this game on 2 other phones with the approx the same battery drainage results. The Samsung Galaxy Note2 and the iPhone 4s.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

As the title suggest, it is time to fix the battery draining effects of your game. 30 minutes of play time SHOULD NOT equate to 30-35% battery drainage. I use the Samsung Galaxy S4. I force close all apps that I am not currently using, so there is nothing running in the background except the Android OS, so that leaves MPQ. If I skip a day of playing, I have no battery life issues.

There are several ways to do this. But I think the most obvious way (Which SEVERAL people have already asked for for eye sight improvement) is to TONE DOWN THE ANIMATIONS!! This may not decrease the battery consumption as greatly as most people would like, but it would significantly help.

There is absolutely no need for EVERYTHING in this game to have a fhqRtmcs.jpgto it.

I am not sure what other developer options you have at your disposal to decrease battery consumption. But this seriously needs to be addressed and the software modified.

EDIT: And just to clarify, I have run this game on 2 other phones with the approx the same battery drainage results. The Samsung Galaxy Note2 and the iPhone 4s.
    I don't think the constant animations are the problem.
    Seems to me the main offender is the netcode - the game constantly needs to connect to the server and this seems to be built so extremely inefficiently that the phone runs extremely hot and consumes enormous amounts of juice.

Haven't seen such behaviour in any other mobile title that isn't a powerhouse of Infinity Blade calibre.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Want to borrow my phone for MPQing? I don't play MPQ there and it has a 4000 mA·h battery icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Seems to me the main offender is the netcode - the game constantly needs to connect to the server and this seems to be built so extremely inefficiently that the phone runs extremely hot and consumes enormous amounts of juice.

Haven't seen such behaviour in any other mobile title that isn't a powerhouse of Infinity Blade calibre.

While the constant connection does put wear and tear on your battery, I play several games that require constant connection in order to play, such as Bingo (I play so my mom gets bonus chips and coins, plus I found out it has a leader board, that I am now trying to dominate. LOL).

I know that if I turn the brightness level of my phone all the way down, it drops the battery usage by half. But then it makes it harder to play the game because essentially, everything is almost tones of grey and black.
  • locked wrote:
    Want to borrow my phone for MPQing? I don't play MPQ there and it has a 4000 mA·h battery icon_e_biggrin.gif

Sure. Will it work on Verizon? When can you ship it to me? icon_lol.gif
  • Bowgentle
    locked wrote:

It's probably the Russian imitation of an iPhone, with an external battery that weighs 5 kilos icon_e_wink.gif

No offense locked, I just got some first hand experience with Eastern European consumer electronics lol icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    I can frequently be seen in my house carrying my phone and a lumsing battery pack. I don't think it's the animations any more than just the resolution heck I dunno your guesses are as good as mine. My phone gets pretty hot. Figured it was the wifi usage.
  • An option to flat out remove animations would be great in my opinion.
  • Bowgentle wrote:

So the heat thing is not just me then? I can use my iPod Touch as a hand warmer with MPQ running.
  • over_clocked
    Bowgentle wrote:
    locked wrote:

It's probably the Russian imitation of an iPhone, with an external battery that weighs 5 kilos icon_e_wink.gif

No offense locked, I just got some first hand experience with Eastern European consumer electronics lol icon_e_biggrin.gif
    No offense taken, but I am not Eastern European and I know better than to buy fake Apple products (or Apple products period, lol). It's a Lenovo model from their 'professional' series (easily searchable). It is rather heavy (176 g) compared to top models from many companies, but now I can go on New Year holidays with a single charge (granted, I don't play MPQ there, as I already said icon_lol.gif ).

johnaaron, it probably won't :S
  • Bowgentle
    locked wrote:
    No offense taken, but I am not Eastern European and I know better than to buy fake Apple products (or Apple products period, lol). It's a Lenovo model from their 'professional' series (easily searchable). It is rather heavy (176 g) compared to top models from many companies, but now I can go on New Year holidays with a single charge (granted, I don't play MPQ there, as I already said icon_lol.gif ).

johnaaron, it probably won't :S
    Ah, I thought you mentioned that you spoke Russian, so I assumed you were based there. My bad.
  • over_clocked
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Ah, I thought you mentioned that you spoke Russian, so I assumed you were based there. My bad.
    Most of the ex-USSR population speak Russian even if some pretend they have nothing in common with Russia icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Last night I played my phone down to 5% battery with MPQ and then my iPad to 5% with Modern Combat 5. Apparently my battery pack can get extremely hot trying to maintain power to these two devices at once. After nearly melting my leg off, I realized that my devices were still at 5%.
  • Hello Dev's (Or whoever is allocated the job of reading the forums),

I play (or played, see my recent post about quitting) the game on two different phones, a cheap Samsung and a less cheap Sony (but it's still cheap). They both have the same battery strength (1500 mah) but the Sony is way more efficient at handling the battery charge. It lasts considerably longer AND recharges considerably faster. It also has a much better screen and can auto-adjust the screen light (and it has better RAM too), so for obvious reasons I use the phone as my main game phone.

The interesting thing is that the Samsung eats up the battery way faster than the Sony and I don't think it's because of a defect battery, but more because Samsung likes to overfill their phones with way too many apps. But I still don't feel the game lasts so short on my Samsung as what you just described. There has to be several reasons for this bad battery handling, I can think of wi-fi being active (sure, you get a better connection but it also drains your battery way faster) or maybe Facebook having notifications and messages active, making the phone constantly checking statuses and sending out signals to you. But Samsung IS bad at making the battery last long. Keep checking and you might find the culprits that consume your battery. Try installing Wakelock Detector and TrustGo Security, those apps can check up what's eating your battery most. Samsung's own apps and some other things exclusive to Samsung have been tormenting me for a while and it's not always obvious what's eating the battery or where to look to shut it off. Google Plus and some other things are constant battery eaters, so check that too. And finally, even though I have the same apps on my two phones, some things just work worse on my Samsung, and forces it to consume more battery. But still not as much as your consumption, and my battery is weaker than yours, but I guess the larger screen and higher resolution, combined with the stronger processor makes a big difference.
  • I've noticed that mobile data (3G) consumes more battery power and does make the phone hot quicker than by using wifi.

A definite coding change is required, maybe reduce on data being transmitted during game play. I've noticed my internet speed directly impacts the smoothness of the game play. Fast connections are smoother of course.

I've wondered about the health hazards of this as well. We've been warned of how talking a lot on mobile phones is bad. What about the impacts on our body parts when we're playing for hours on end?! Can we blame the leap in testicular cancer on MPQ?
  • prash wrote:
    I've noticed that mobile data (3G) consumes more battery power and does make the phone hot quicker than by using wifi.

A definite coding change is required, maybe reduce on data being transmitted during game play. I've noticed my internet speed directly impacts the smoothness of the game play. Fast connections are smoother of course.

I've wondered about the health hazards of this as well. We've been warned of how talking a lot on mobile phones is bad. What about the impacts on our body parts when we're playing for hours on end?! Can we blame the leap in testicular cancer on MPQ?

Constantly having your phone in your pocket might be a reason for that, yes. Maybe should stop doing that then. Also, I think having the laptop in your lap all the time is also a thing to blame.
  • Daige wrote:
    prash wrote:
    I've noticed that mobile data (3G) consumes more battery power and does make the phone hot quicker than by using wifi.

Constantly having your phone in your pocket might be a reason for that, yes. Maybe should stop doing that then. Also, I think having the laptop in your lap all the time is also a thing to blame.

I believe active phone calls or constant data transfer is the concern for health issues. In your pocket, yes the phone pings the the network periodically. Best way to know if you place the phone near speakers. During an active calls, the speakers will have a lot of noise. Otherwise on and off you will hear the speakers buzz when the phone checks in with the network. That being said, the speakers won't buzz for data traffic because I believe it transmits at a different band that doesn't interfere with speakers.
  • My Samsung S3 phone w/ original battery also doesn't charge when playing MPQ. It heats up so hot during MPQ I couldn't hold it.