Why are there soooooo many bot spams??

Options
I am honestly flabbergasted by the spam post situation here.

I have been to many game forums (such as Clash of clans, defender of texel, Touch Aracade, gamefaq) etc and i have never witnessed anything half this bad.

I think the bot spammer here is mostly just trolling D3, honestly you get literally no one reading the threads, left alone clicking on the link...

I am curious is this something common on forum sites?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They said it isn't a bot, which is why they can't stop it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's can be frustrating. Think the admins are doing the best they can.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    They said it isn't a bot, which is why they can't stop it.

so those are 'real' people?

I am not doubting your statement (as they are from the game team anyway), i am just curious.

D3 must have upset alot of ppl for them to do this day in, day out....
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vanapak wrote:
    so those are 'real' people?
    Yes, that's what they said. Probably kids in some sweatshop taking a break from gold farming whatever other game they're working.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    The mass signups are still bot driven (or bot influenced anyway) but the spam threads are human created.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are four major reasons why this forum is so delicious for spammers.

1. No captcha.
    2. As soon as you sign up, you can promote a URL even if you're banned.
    3. No limitations on new members. A spammer can sign up and spew a dozen spam messages within one minute.
    4. No blacklist check. Most sites check IP addresses against known spam addresses.

So, it's ridiculously easy to spam the site, and D3 currently encourages it. At my zero posts thread, I outlined methods for eliminating the spam incentives, and asked for new moderators. But D3 has elected to have one of their own staff play whack-a-spammer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    But D3 has elected to have one of their own staff play whack-a-spammer.

What about other issues? Forum should be user friendly and transparent, what with double posts, similar/offtopic/useless/dumb/offensive threads etc? They will be doing this aswell or just dont give a **** about their own forum and PR?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's can be frustrating. Think the admins are doing the best they can.
    The mods (mostly nonce) are. The admins are largely not existent
  • Unknown
    Options
    Actually, the number one reason there is so much spam on this forum is because it's a phpBB forum. Over the last many years, bots have evolved to seek out and spam phpBB and SMF forums with a vengeance. There's not much that can be done to stop them without adding a number of antibot plugins that are highly recommended for phpBB forums.