FREE Respec for covers with any change

Options
With all the other games I played, every time a character is changed by the dev that will most certainly change how player will use it after, a one time FREE respec will be given to compensate the change and help player to discover new builds after the changes.

It's simple. Say you have 10/13 covers at 3/3/4. A free respec will keep the levels, but turn the build to 0/0/0 with 10 gold arrow points. This should be given to players who own the covers that are "changed" (or should I say "nerfed", as so far, NO covers were BUFFED!!) by devs.

However, giving free respec is something that makes sense to do to most devs out there. icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Yes. What he said.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Baltias wrote:
    (or should I say "nerfed", as so far, NO covers were BUFFED!!)

There have been many positive changes to characters in the past. Depending on how long you've played the game, you may not have experienced them.

Daken getting a third ability and a re-balancing to his existing abilities seems fair to me. Classic Daken is a more difficult proposition for re-balancing, but seeing as the wording is slightly ambiguous and possibly incorrect, I withhold judgement until the update is live.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    By many, he means about 5.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The problem is that just because you built a character 5/5/3 doesn't necessarily mean you had the covers to build him 3/5/5 instead at any point in history. It seems to me it'd be quite generous to allow people to obtain covers they never had over a nerf, and unless D3 kept statistics on what covers you've thrown away in the past they got no way to know if you could've built that character any differently. Actually, that gives a compelling reason for D3 to keep a history of thrown away covers, because people who threw them away should get a respec.

Edit: I thought about this issue some more and the easiest way is for them to just flag every character to see if you ever obtained 5 covers of a given color. If you've obtained say 5 red covers of Punisher over your character's history then you'll always be allowed to allocate your red covers when the character is changed, but you can't put them into black unless you also have already obtained 5 black covers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Might some people get a slight advantage, possibly having not ever had the exact combination of covers to do any given build? Sure. Would something like this be a nice thing to do anyway after altering game values (particularly when such alteration were done sloppily and without any warning)? Yes it would.

Not everything has to be a zero sum operation. Some things can just be what they are in the spirit of good will and fair play, something that seems to have been lost a long time ago here.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    The problem is that just because you built a character 5/5/3 doesn't necessarily mean you had the covers to build him 3/5/5 instead at any point in history.

For the people that buy covers, with hp and not real money, this wouldn't apply. Regardless, I think a change like this would and should be "we like you as customers, so since we are neutering a character, please accept our apologies and have a respec on the house"; rather than the strict solution you suggest.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's one thing being generous and another thing giving covers that you never had just because a character was changed.

I'm all for giving free specs if they started keeping track of what covers you have access to. But if you only ever had 3 yellow covers for Sentry, I see no justification why you should suddenly be allowed to have 5 yellow covers over a character change.

For any cover bought with HP, that should be considered as +1 cover of all colors as long as that person has the prerequisite base cover to upgrade from. So if you have 4 red, black, and green covers for Punisher and you bought a red cover with 1250 HP, you should be considered as having 5 covers in all colors and will always be allowed to rearrange your covers as you see fit whenever the character is changed. So someone with 1/1/1 and bought 4 covers with HP will qualify for respec in all colors.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I always felt that with character change, & especially you fully maxed it's covers, you're allowed at LEAST one cover alteration for free regardless whether you had the cover or not.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    emaker27 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    The problem is that just because you built a character 5/5/3 doesn't necessarily mean you had the covers to build him 3/5/5 instead at any point in history.

For the people that buy covers, with hp and not real money, this wouldn't apply. Regardless, I think a change like this would and should be "we like you as customers, so since we are neutering a character, please accept our apologies and have a respec on the house"; rather than the strict solution you suggest.
    Demiurge? Showing the least bit of charity towards players? Clearly not working as intended. They wouldn't know the word compensation if their life depended on it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm all for giving free specs if they started keeping track of what covers you have access to. But if you only ever had 3 yellow covers for Sentry, I see no justification why you should suddenly be allowed to have 5 yellow covers over a character change.

For any cover bought with HP, that should be considered as +1 cover of all colors as long as that person has the prerequisite base cover to upgrade from. So if you have 4 red, black, and green covers for Punisher and you bought a red cover with 1250 HP, you should be considered as having 5 covers in all colors and will always be allowed to rearrange your covers as you see fit whenever the character is changed. So someone with 1/1/1 and bought 4 covers with HP will qualify for respec in all colors.

First of all, what makes you think they have all that information easily on hand? And second, what makes you think they could design a system to account for all of that and implement it in a way that wouldn't make the game explode? Moreover, what does it matter? If you had 13 covers and you get to shuffle them up a little based on changes made to the game, who cares if you never had however many of whatever color? If you had 10 covers, you get to shuffle your 10.

As far as justification, they are altering the game. People spent money on this, directly or indirectly. Some amount of reparations for this should be had. Do you really want to create an overly complicated workaround just because it doesn't sit well with you that some poor bastard may have gotten a bailout for a bad build, or someone who could never quite get the covers they wanted hits the jackpot? I fail to see how this is a major issue.
  • Unknown
    Options
    To me, how the cover should work is not color based. You just get a generic cover for that character that let you freely allocate to any power. However, that system won't force players to give more $$ to D3P so that will not happen certainly. icon_e_biggrin.gif

With all these "changes/NERFS" that severely affect viable builds, showing a bit of generosity to let players respec to any combo up to X/13 is showing goodwill, especially when these changes were announced, say, way after the rewards were given? But then, reality is always cruel. And some may say you got the freebies so no one should complain? icon_cool.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Look this discussion is nice and all but it will never happen. The only way they make money is: 1. high costs for HP and Iso; 2. making cover purchases extremely ludicrous(through packs and people buying powers); 3. releasing new characters that are hard to get, thus number 2; 4. true heal. They are only going to keep doing business as usual until either everyone quits or they lose the license which happens time to time with Marvel rights. We all know goodwill is a word the devs do not comprehend, all they see is money. Everyone understands this is a business for them and they need to make money but there are plenty of "f2p" games that make money other than screwing over their players.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Look this discussion is nice and all but it will never happen.

Deep down I want to believe there's some conscience deep down. But of course I know too well with the reality. icon_cool.gif

What I try to do here is to point out what would normally happen to most of the other games, F2P or what not, when something major happen to character builds, and what should've happened in MPQ. But then there's always an outlier in a population. icon_cool.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    It's one thing being generous and another thing giving covers that you never had just because a character was changed.

That sounds like the really, really hard way of doing things. The easiest, cheapest way to ensure players who "earned" a full respec get it is to just give that respec to everyone. It has the added bonus of making everyone happy, too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The way covers and respeccing now work is wonky enough that I suspect anything like a free respec would require an essentially entirely new respect system to be built. Not that I think it's a bad idea, just unlikely to be added anytime soon
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:

So now, I should chase top 5 just in case they nerf a character and I need to respec to the cover in top 5 even though I don't need it now? Ridiculous.

I'm not sure where I stand on the proposed change (it'll never happen anyway), but if considered it should be as simple as re-shuffling based on total covers you already have. If a player gains a cover in a color they never had, it's compensation for the inconvenience.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The respec should be done in ISO, rather than covers. Like others said, you may never have had your covers. But you certainly had your ISO.

Put the character back to lowest level, reimburse players ISO. Then they can decide if they want to re-sink the ISO back into that character like they did originally (easy enough, one-button press to max level) or if they'd like to spend it elsewhere.