http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... now-woman/

Get ready for your next Lazy character.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Maybe it is just Sentry in disguise.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Might be a neat story. Sounds like a typical "Death of Superman" event, though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    Might be a neat story. Sounds like a typical "Death of Superman" event, though.
    I was about to dismiss this as a rehash stunt storyline, but although I can think of THREE female thors in alternate Earths, I can't think of any time Thor's been female in 616. A frog, yes. Female, no.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I put this over in General this morning, I wasn't sure if it fit here or not. I'll delete that one, here is the stuff from over there:

http://io9.com/marvels-new-thor-is-a-woman-1605307213

g3pag7pltqitb9nyofwj.jpg

To bad they went with 3* Lazy Thor. Then again, there is 3* Hulk and 3* She-Hulk....but here you have a naming issue:
    Marvel's press release quotes writer Jason Aaron as saying: "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before." The press release also says that whoever is worthy to hold the hammer gets to have the name Thor, so this really is Thor.

It would get more female characters in the game...
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    In a nutshell, for those want the TL;DR version, Thor is simply a "title" given to who currently possesses Mjolnir.

The current Thor does **something** to cause himself to become unworthy of wielding the hammer, which then finds a new master in a female character who has yet to be named. As such, she inherits the title of Thor.

Her Premiere issue as the new canon Thor will be launched in October.

So, for MPQ drama purposes....

Season 4 is delayed until Friday.

Three seasons takes approximately three months to complete.

Three months from July is October.

So... Is the Season 4-6 reward this new Female Thor, launched in teaser form as a 4****? (She can't be a 2** or 3*** star hero, because Marvel has already said that she is the same as Thor now canonically.) If so, that would mean that Demiurge had to wait for the Marvel announcement before revealing her as the Season 4 prize, hence the mysterious delay until Friday...

Discuss.

/ponder

/popcorn
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    So... Is the Season 4-6 rewards this new Female Thor, launched in teaser form as a 4****?

Since she is "Thor", can they make a lazier-than-lazy 4*Thor?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    So... Is the Season 4-6 reward this new Female Thor, launched in teaser form as a 4****? (She can't be a 2** or 3*** star hero, because Marvel has already said that she is the same as Thor now canonically.) If so, that would mean that Demiurge had to wait for the Marvel announcement before revealing her as the Season 4 prize, hence the mysterious delay until Friday...
    Season 4 starts later this week. We're experimenting with some downtime between seasons where we can run more varied/experimental PvP events.

Which one to believe?
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    papa07 wrote:

Which one to believe?

Those aren't mutually exclusive statements. Both of them could be truthful.

Will's statement is much more likely to be correct than mine, but both could be true statements simultaneously. If my statement is true, theoretically, Will couldn't talk about the new Thor even if he wanted to do so because of what would assuredly be NDAs in place over the character.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I never really liked the whole idea that anyone who can pick up mjolnir becomes Thor. It's like Thor is not an individual but a title. Although, I'd still like to see a 4* Beta Ray Bill

Female Loki was more interesting because their whole reality was shaken up when Thor disrupted the ragnarok/rebirth cycle. Hes where shes, and Asgard was in Oklahoma.
    Come to think of it, wasn't Loki a female during Dark Reign?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Also, this is going to be confusing for poor Tarene (Thor Girl)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Female Loki was more interesting because their whole reality was shaken up when Thor disrupted the ragnarok/rebirth cycle. Hes where shes, and Asgard was in Oklahoma.
    Come to think of it, wasn't Loki a female during Dark Reign?
    Loki wasn't female because of reality-punching, she was female because she stole Sif's body iirc
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, in the stories of Norse Mythology Loki was once a female horse. He was caught and mounted by the greatest stallion in all the worlds.

When Loki gave birth, the resulting 8-legged horse was Sleipnir, the preferred mount of Odin.

Make of that what you will...
  • Unknown
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Loki wasn't female because of reality-punching, she was female because she stole Sif's body iirc

I think you're right, but it was after he was reborn after being killed in Ragnarok (I think). I thought that it had something to do with Thor breaking the death cycle, but that could be irrelevant.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kind dumb...Thor is Thor. This is a different "wielder of mjolnir" but not Thor...its not like she is now loki's brother/sister now or odin's son/daughter all of a sudden. It requires a huge mental retcon for the name of Thor to simply be a name bestowed upon those who wield the hammer...as Thor has gone without it and still been Thor plenty of .times.

By all means, have a story with someone else with the hammer...but I don't know if I like them calling the person Thor as a cheap publicity stunt. I mean, its not like a Batman "pretend to be batman" situation....its not like you look at her and say "Ohh yea, that's Thor.....wait a sec, something is off...aghast, must ne nothing."

Ehh, in the end ...if the story is good, stupid discrepancies can be forgiven. Especially if/when Thor gets his hammer back and all is right in the world again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    orionpeace wrote:
    Well, in the stories of Norse Mythology Loki was once a female horse. He was caught and mounted by the greatest stallion in all the worlds.

When Loki gave birth, the resulting 8-legged horse was Sleipnir, the preferred mount of Odin.

Make of that what you will...

So odin wants to have sex with his granddaugh... o wow, is the movie Chinatown all based on Norse mythology?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, Loki is also the proud father of a snake that wraps all the way around the world, and a giant god eating wolf. I know it's a long shot, but I will be disappointed if Thor 3 does not involve Thor fighting the Midgard Serpent.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It requires a huge mental retcon for the name of Thor to simply be a name bestowed upon those who wield the hammer...as Thor has gone without it and still been Thor plenty of .times.

It's like a double-twist-retcon, because the original Marvel Thor origin was that human Donald Blake found the hammer which gave him the power of Thor, and much later this was retconned into Donald Blake was Thor all along (having been made a human by Odin and lose Thor's memories to teach him humility) and the hammer just revealed his true self

And others (like Beta Ray Bill) have wielded Mjolnir and not "become" Thor. Now it's going to be re-retconned so all the power is in the hammer again I guess?
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Whatever the storyline, I'm very excited about a female Thor.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Her character design is pretty sweet. I like her helm a lot.
  • Unknown
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Beta Ray Bill

You win all the internets. All of them.