12 hour shield

Options
I don't know about the rest of you but there's so many times where a 12 hour shield or so would be a nice option for those that work 10 to 12 hour shifts.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    so true, i crave a 12 hour shield..
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wish there was a way we could essentially customize a shield length and pro-rate the cost. I frequently end up buying 24 hour shields when all I really need is a 16-hour, for example, and if we could, it would eliminate the crazy number of attacks that seem to come at the 3- and 8-hour marks. I'd keep a minimum of 3 hours on it just to keep people from completely abusing it for shield hopping, probably, but it would likely make people more willing to shield who might otherwise wait until the next mark.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I wish there was a way we could essentially customize a shield length and pro-rate the cost. I frequently end up buying 24 hour shields when all I really need is a 16-hour, for example, and if we could, it would eliminate the crazy number of attacks that seem to come at the 3- and 8-hour marks. I'd keep a minimum of 3 hours on it just to keep people from completely abusing it for shield hopping, probably, but it would likely make people more willing to shield who might otherwise wait until the next mark.

Even in the prime eastern standard time demographic. leaving for work at 8:30 leaves 3.5 hours till even end times at noon. Always rubs me the wrong way that for the extra 30 minutes I have to buy the bigger shield. And no MPQ is never important enough to be late for work icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Even in the prime eastern standard time demographic. leaving for work at 8:30 leaves 3.5 hours till even end times at noon. Always rubs me the wrong way that for the extra 30 minutes I have to buy the bigger shield. And no MPQ is never important enough to be late for work icon_e_smile.gif

I'm Eastern too and generally leave at 8:00 - which means I either I have to buy a 24-hour the night before for 14-16 hours (like I did yesterday) or try to cram in some playtime before work and throw up an 8-hour for 4-5 hours. Either way I'm wasting a huge chunk.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ditto on EST. It definitely stinks setting a 24hr shield for 12-14 hrs of use.

You can't do a straight pay per hour system because the shield-hoppers suddenly get a massive discount. Instead, put in a system where you can extend the existing shields.

Current rates
    75 HP for 3 hr = 25 HP/hr
    150 for 8 hr = 18.75 HP/hr
    300 for 24 hr = 12.5/hr

So set the rate of extension at 20HP/hr, with a buy 5 get 1 free (so 100hp for 6hrs). That means 250 for a 14hr shield, or 230 for a 12 hr one. That's 17.85/hr & 19.17/hr, respectively.

Of course, they get a pretty large ROI out of charging people for hours they don't end up using, so this will never change. But it would be a boost to player happiness.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The shield cost is made to incentivize 'buy in bulk' so it'd make very little to give you a pro-rated shield at the 24 hour prize.

They should offer the ability to buy additional shields while shielded though. 8+3 should cover the '10 hour' case, and things longer than that you're better off with 24 hours anyway.