12 or less tournament

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
i occasionally see rosters that have a few characters that don't have a full set of 13 covers.

Lets have a tournament for these un-maxed characters. If it has 13 covers, it can't be used. Otherwise the character is fair game. Character with only two covers can be used even if they're maxed out.

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    icon_e_surprised.gif I could only then use Daredevil (5-2-5), Mororo (2-2-2), Sentry (2-2-3), Scumbag Daken (4-3-3), IM 40 (0-0-1 or 2-5-3), She-Hulk (0-0-2) or Falcon (5-4-2). Not to mention all those 2 power villains and 4*s.
    You are cruel!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    My available team would be Ragnarok, Falcon, Loki, Doctor Doom, Sentry, Invis Woman, Nick Fury, She-Hulk, Storm Mohawk, 2* Daken, Bullseye, and some 1* characters. I would have a seriously hard time.

Falcon, Sentry, She Hulk might not be too bad. But I do believe many transitioning teams would do better.
  • Unknown
    Options
    i occasionally see rosters that have a few characters that don't have a full set of 13 covers.

Lets have a tournament for these un-maxed characters. If it has 13 covers, it can't be used. Otherwise the character is fair game. Character with only two covers can be used even if they're maxed out.

Such a tournament would encourage players to NOT purchase covers. Do you honestly think there is a snowball's chance in Hell that D3 will make such a decision?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well it would force people to play with non-maxed covers. If there are a group of people only playing with maxed covered characters then this would encourage them to put time and resources into other characters instead of relying on just those they already have maximized.

I don't think this would encourage or discourage additional cover sales, would just be something different to play around with.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    It would encourage cover sales for any character with less than 12 covers. And it would be a tournament where no-one is maxed.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, it would help those with soft-capped characters. And **** the uber-players who have their favourite characters maxed all the way. If the event prizes were also good then I believe it really would help the player base with their rosters and... you know... make them actually happy about progression? Or maybe that's too much. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This would be a great tournament!!! I hate going against these rosters where all their covers and levels are maxed out and here I am trying to put together a good enough team to fight them. Now, I'd probably have the advantage against those guys since I'm still trying hard to max out my covers. I would probably kill in this tourney. My roster would be C.Mags, Psylocke, Spiderman (I still love him even nerfed), Hulk, Patch, Steve Rogers killer shield throw, GSBW, BP, Torch, Lazy Thor, Falcon, Rags, Hood, Sentry, and possibly use Lazy Daken too. Please do this tourney and give good covers to I can reduce all these people I'm missing covers for!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think the best way to do this would be to introduce a mechanic that would let you "delevel" your characters within the tournament, and they exist with normal levels outside of it. Sorta like the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2. That way it doesn't lock out any characters you want to use & have invested in. People who've maxed a character still have some advantage because they have more control over their characters, but they're still handicapped by the limit. In this scenario it'd probably be more interesting to drop the limit lower than 12, since you'd just see a lot of 5/2/5 at that point.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think it'd make more sense if you have a limited amount of points for covers (allow de level for the purpose of events since nobody would possibly have the right characters). That is, 1 cover in any power = 1 point, but the second one costs 2 (so 3 total for 2 levels), 3 for the 3rd one, and so on. So 5/1/1 would be 17 points while 3/3/3 would be 18 points. Cap your roster total strength at 36 points, so that you can have either a single 5/5/3 character and nothing else or some combination of lesser characters. Daken and Patch will not be allowed because otherwise your team is just going to be Daken only or Patch only.
  • Unknown
    Options
    No no the idea is to make people use their non maxed characters, not let them use their maxed characters at slightly less power. A temporary delevel function would really mess with this tourney.
  • Unknown
    Options
    No no the idea is to make people use their non maxed characters, not let them use their maxed characters at slightly less power. A temporary delevel function would really mess with this tourney.

In which case you're punishing* players that maxed their covers. That's really contradictory to one of the major goals of the game. Especially if they plopped down some HP on one of their favorites. I think deleveling would provide the intent of leveling the playing field, while still retaining the player's ability to use characters they actually like.

*I'm considering having to use Loki/Rags/DD/etc. punishment in this case. As well as every other case, actually.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I fail to see how encouraging people to use someone not maxed is punishment. If your roster really is nearly all the way maxed out, then I admit this type of tourney is not for you. It is however for the other 99.8%* of players. If Loki/Rags/Daredevil is really your only un-cover-maxed characters then I really feel no sympathy for your plight. And that group would make some wicked cascades which might even be fun.

*Made up number
  • Unknown
    Options
    We already know D3 doesn't like people purposely not maxing their roster. From a game design point of view it's pretty dumb where a lower level character can sometimes be more effective than a higher level character. That said if you just let people de level all that's going to happen is that you get the usual trio de leveled to 12 covers instead of 13, so there has to be some kind of total budget available for covers. However, I started thinking about this issue and I think most of the time the best team would just be Patch solo or Daken solo if you try to put anything clever on the cover restrictions, so it's not exactly an easy system to implement.