Recovery of Health Packs slows after 5 instead of stopping.

Options
I'm going to start off by saying that I, for the most part, like the healing changes. Healing as it was didn't make the game more fun, but it was a strong enough tactic that pretty much everyone had to rely on it to remain competitive. And that lead to very little variety in which characters people were playing.

But there has been a very legitimate complaint about the healing changes: it makes everyone more reliant on healthpacks, which hurts people who can only play once or twice a day a lot more than it does the people who play continuously throughout the day. The current recharge rate is one per 36 minutes, which stops when you reach 5 healthpacks. So someone who uses up all their healthpacks every 2-3 hours could get 40 of them in a day. If you play once every 8, 12, or 24 hours, you only get 15, 10, or 5 healthpacks per day respectively. [As a bit of an aside, the increased regeneration rates don't help our infrequent players much at all either].

Just removing the healthpack cap isn't a good solution from the developer's point of view, so that won't do. But what would happen if you remove the healthpack cap, but impose exponentially increasing refresh times? For instance, if healthpacks up to 5 refresh at the normal rate of one per 36 minutes, but each subsequent healthpack takes 33% longer than the previous one. Then someone who plays...

... every 3 hours still gets 40 healthpacks per day
... every 8 hours now gets 27 per day instead of 15
... every 12 hours gets 20 instead of 10
... every 8 hours gets 13 instead of 5

The incentive to log in frequently is still there. There's still occasion for people to buy healthpacks via HP. And people who can't play throughout the day are not so severely disadvantaged. Thoughts?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm all for this because every person with a large roster will be at 100+ health packs after sitting out a day of a PVE event.

Seriously, this is not going to happen.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Roster size has absolutely nothing to do with it. Using my example of a 33% increase per health pack it would take two days to accumulate 15 healthpacks, a week for 20, and a month for 25.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Love it.
    Using an exponential increase in time taken to regenerate each subsequent health pack pretty much means the cap can safely be moved up to 25 regenerating packs without risk of anyone ever really hitting that cap in practice. (Unless they don't play for a month or so...)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Roster size has absolutely nothing to do with it. Using my example of a 33% increase per health pack it would take two days to accumulate 15 healthpacks, a week for 20, and a month for 25.
    Ah. I just put this into a spreadsheet and you're right. I always underestimate how much bigger the numbers get with an exponential increase.
    I get 40 HP in 426 weeks, lol.

So disregard my previous post, this is actually a good idea.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A very interesting Idea. It sounds like it would be complicated and each health pack taking an extra 33%. I think the simply soultion would be to increase health packs to 10 and drop the refresh rate to 20 min. I know Steam players won't be as excited because they are at the mercy of their CPU, but they would get 3 health packs an hour. If you are going through 5 health packs an hour you can play for 3 hours straight. I have a 2* team and am finally getting 3* above 100 and 10 health packs would be more than enough for me to play as long as I want in both PVP and PVE as well as the simulator. I am curious for a someone on Steam if they think 10 health packs with a 20 min refresh rate would allow them to play for close to as long as they used to??